U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

achtung baby is a great fucking album
but I don't buy the idea that OK computer and kid A owe their livelihood to achtung baby and zooropa. OKC and kid A is radiohead being radiohead
Well maybe musically it wasn't much inspiration but creatively it might have been. Achtung Baby is every bit U2's equal to O.k. Computer as is Zooropa to Kid A in terms of a band stretching themselves and taking risks. That right there could have been inspiration even a small amount. Maybe. I dont' buy Thome Yorke's claim that he was just getting bored of guitars either. that's just too easy. The transformation U2 made in the 90's is another reason they shoodl get consideration as one of the geatest of all time. Not many of "the greats" ever really evolved a whole lot. At least not sucha dramtic evolution like the one we saw from JT/R&H----------------> Achtung Baby & Zooropa. Radiohead made a huge change as well but the thing U2 did that they didn't was that they managed to keep their enormous fanbase while actually gaining new fans. I think Radioheads fanbase fell off alot after O.K. Computer.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Thom always said they were tired same ol formula for writing songs." "It was necessary to go away and glue back the pieces. In a way in order to survive we had to stop being answerable"--Thom Yorke

radiohead are more popular now, then they were when OK computer was released

this is not relevant to the subject but Kid A even debuted at #1

Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #63
Refugee

Quote:

thats your opinion and I respect It. I however think that Kid A> OKC. I find that their work post OKC is way better than their earlier work
That's cool. The thing I always found with Kid A was that it wasn't any better than what alot of electronic ambient based bands were already doing. I'm not saying this is the case with you xaviMF22 but I do think part of the reason Kid A gets as much prasie as it does is becasue it introduced alot of fans to electronic type music that they hadn't previously been exposed to rather than it being anything really cutting edge.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
I don't feel like debating. yes U2 influenced radiohead, but those are albums are not the reason why OKC and KID A exist. Radiohead have even said they hate achtung baby.
They have also said they love "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of". The other songs on ATYCLB can't be to far behind. So I guess we have a band that hates Achtung Baby but loves ATYCLB!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination

That's cool. The thing I always found with Kid A was that it wasn't any better than what alot of electronic ambient based bands were already doing. I'm not saying this is the case with you xaviMF22 but I do think part of the reason Kid A gets as much prasie as it does is becasue it introduced alot of fans to electronic type music that they hadn't previously been exposed to rather than it being anything really cutting edge.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

They have also said they love "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of". The other songs on ATYCLB can't be to far behind. So I guess we have a band that hates Achtung Baby but loves ATYCLB!

radiohead are
Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

what I found more interesting than anything, is that I always thought radiohead were directly influenced by Pink floyd. Turns out they don't even like pink floyd
Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #68
Refugee

Quote:
Thom always said they were tired same ol formula for writing songs." "It was necessary to go away and glue back the pieces. In a way in order to survive we had to stop being answerable"--Thom Yorke

I know. he also said making a pop song with melody was easy and anybody could do it. What pisses me off is that in my opinion Radiohead were one of the very best at writeing amazing pop songs with fantastic melodies. they don't do that anymore. Thom doesn't sing the way he used to. His voice used to be so angelic on songs like Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Thinking About You, Black Star, Karma Police, No Surprises etc. Now it seems like most of the time he's just howling. Almost as if he's intentionally trying to avoid any sense of pop melody. To me that's off putting when a band is intentionally trying to stay away from somthing that they are so amazingly good at.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I didn't think those kinds of people exist.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I know. he also said making a pop song with melody was easy and anybody could do it. What pisses me off is that in my opinion Radiohead were one of the very best at writeing amazing pop songs with fantastic melodies. they don't do that anymore. Thom doesn't sing the way he used to. His voice used to be so angelic on songs like Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Thinking About You, Black Star, Karma Police, No Surprises etc. Now it seems like most of the time he's just howling. Almost as if he's intentionally trying to avoid any sense of pop melody. To me that's off putting when a band is intentionally trying to stay away from somthing that they are so amazingly good at.
Yea I can see how Thom singing "the rain drops, the rain drops, the rain drops" repeadly might turn someone off

Yea but the band seems to enjoy the state of music their in at the moment, and we can't force them to change
In a way its a shame cause they have made some really great melodic-pop souding songs.--like my favorite "Let down" no surprises, karma police etc..
Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #71
War Child

I love U2.

Radiohead are musical geniuses.

[...and that's a fact.]
Old 03-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #72
New Yorker

Quote:

this is not relevant to the subject but Kid A even debuted at #1
From reading the above quotes from Radiohead and this quote by Yorke, you can tell Radiohead are greatly influenced by U2 and Bono. I mean talk about pretentious sounding!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

From reading the above quotes from Radiohead and this quote by Yorke, you can tell Radiohead are greatly influenced by U2 and Bono. I mean talk about pretentious sounding!
i'm not going to bother
instead lets discuss how Bono doesn't get the credit he deserves
Old 03-15-2006, 03:34 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
I cannot read.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:

I mean the title had crap written all over it right, so why bother?
Hey wait, you just agreed with me and Zoomerang here, which means I did nothing wrong in here. Maybe I can read, after all