U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:

achtung baby is a great fucking album :drool:
but I don't buy the idea that OK computer and kid A owe their livelihood to achtung baby and zooropa. OKC and kid A is radiohead being radiohead

Well maybe musically it wasn't much inspiration but creatively it might have been. Achtung Baby is every bit U2's equal to O.k. Computer as is Zooropa to Kid A in terms of a band stretching themselves and taking risks. That right there could have been inspiration even a small amount. Maybe. I dont' buy Thome Yorke's claim that he was just getting bored of guitars either. that's just too easy. The transformation U2 made in the 90's is another reason they shoodl get consideration as one of the geatest of all time. Not many of "the greats" ever really evolved a whole lot. At least not sucha dramtic evolution like the one we saw from JT/R&H----------------> Achtung Baby & Zooropa. Radiohead made a huge change as well but the thing U2 did that they didn't was that they managed to keep their enormous fanbase while actually gaining new fans. I think Radioheads fanbase fell off alot after O.K. Computer.

Thom always said they were tired same ol formula for writing songs." "It was necessary to go away and glue back the pieces. In a way in order to survive we had to stop being answerable"--Thom Yorke

radiohead are more popular now, then they were when OK computer was released:wink:

this is not relevant to the subject but Kid A even debuted at #1

xaviMF22 said:

thats your opinion and I respect It. I however think that Kid A> OKC. I find that their work post OKC is way better than their earlier work

That's cool. The thing I always found with Kid A was that it wasn't any better than what alot of electronic ambient based bands were already doing. I'm not saying this is the case with you xaviMF22 but I do think part of the reason Kid A gets as much prasie as it does is becasue it introduced alot of fans to electronic type music that they hadn't previously been exposed to rather than it being anything really cutting edge.

xaviMF22 said:
:| I don't feel like debating. yes U2 influenced radiohead, but those are albums are not the reason why OKC and KID A exist. Radiohead have even said they hate achtung baby.

They have also said they love "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of". The other songs on ATYCLB can't be to far behind. So I guess we have a band that hates Achtung Baby but loves ATYCLB!:wink:

Hallucination said:

That's cool. The thing I always found with Kid A was that it wasn't any better than what alot of electronic ambient based bands were already doing. I'm not saying this is the case with you xaviMF22 but I do think part of the reason Kid A gets as much prasie as it does is becasue it introduced alot of fans to electronic type music that they hadn't previously been exposed to rather than it being anything really cutting edge.

:up:

STING2 said:

They have also said they love "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of". The other songs on ATYCLB can't be to far behind. So I guess we have a band that hates Achtung Baby but loves ATYCLB!:wink:

:lmao:

radiohead are :coocoo:

what I found more interesting than anything, is that I always thought radiohead were directly influenced by Pink floyd. Turns out they don't even like pink floyd:|

xaviMF22 said:
Thom always said they were tired same ol formula for writing songs." "It was necessary to go away and glue back the pieces. In a way in order to survive we had to stop being answerable"--Thom Yorke

radiohead are more popular now, then they were when OK computer was released:wink:

I know. he also said making a pop song with melody was easy and anybody could do it. What pisses me off is that in my opinion Radiohead were one of the very best at writeing amazing pop songs with fantastic melodies. they don't do that anymore. Thom doesn't sing the way he used to. His voice used to be so angelic on songs like Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Thinking About You, Black Star, Karma Police, No Surprises etc. Now it seems like most of the time he's just howling. Almost as if he's intentionally trying to avoid any sense of pop melody. To me that's off putting when a band is intentionally trying to stay away from somthing that they are so amazingly good at.

STING2 said:

I didn't think those kinds of people exist.:eyebrow:

Hallucination said:

I know. he also said making a pop song with melody was easy and anybody could do it. What pisses me off is that in my opinion Radiohead were one of the very best at writeing amazing pop songs with fantastic melodies. they don't do that anymore. Thom doesn't sing the way he used to. His voice used to be so angelic on songs like Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Thinking About You, Black Star, Karma Police, No Surprises etc. Now it seems like most of the time he's just howling. Almost as if he's intentionally trying to avoid any sense of pop melody. To me that's off putting when a band is intentionally trying to stay away from somthing that they are so amazingly good at.

Yea I can see how Thom singing "the rain drops, the rain drops, the rain drops" repeadly might turn someone off:wink:

Yea but the band seems to enjoy the state of music their in at the moment, and we can't force them to change:shrug:
In a way its a shame cause they have made some really great melodic-pop souding songs.--like my favorite "Let down":drool: no surprises, karma police etc..

xaviMF22 said:

this is not relevant to the subject but Kid A even debuted at #1

From reading the above quotes from Radiohead and this quote by Yorke, you can tell Radiohead are greatly influenced by U2 and Bono. I mean talk about pretentious sounding!

Flying FuManchu said:

From reading the above quotes from Radiohead and this quote by Yorke, you can tell Radiohead are greatly influenced by U2 and Bono. I mean talk about pretentious sounding!

i'm not going to bother :wink:
instead lets discuss how Bono doesn't get the credit he deserves:|

Hallucination said:

I mean the title had crap written all over it right, so why bother?

Hey wait, you just agreed with me and Zoomerang here, which means I did nothing wrong in here. Maybe I can read, after all :drool:

Beatles and U2 are the only certainties in the top 5 for me.....there are too many other bands fighting out for the other positions....

Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Queen, Pearl Jam, Led zeppelin, Stones, Who, Bowie, Elton and many others....

Beatles will always be number one because not only did they produce a once in a millenium phenomenon like beatlemania....they also wrote some of the most revolutionary music ever written......and the music (just about every song), is of a high quality.....

intedomine said:

Beatles will always be number one because not only did they produce a once in a millenium phenomenon like beatlemania....they also wrote some of the most revolutionary music ever written......and the music (just about every song), is of a high quality.....

not only did they write some revolutionary music, they also wrote perfect 3 minute pop songs.

an incredible band.

xaviMF22 said:
what I found more interesting than anything, is that I always thought radiohead were directly influenced by Pink floyd. Turns out they don't even like pink floyd:|

I've always found that interesting as well. While Pink Floyd and Radiohead are very different in a musical sense (for the most part - there are some similarities in certain songs), they share(d) the same attitudes towards music and breaking down the traditional idea of what a song is supposed to be. Most Radiohead songs don't have discernable choruses or song structures typical of other popular bands, and the same can be said about the Floyd. Both bands fucked around with their sound so much just because they can. Never mind what the record buying public thinks they should sound like! So yeah, in that respect, I too would have thought that Radiohead would admire Pink Floyd. Maybe they haven't heard the entire back catalogue. I could see how Radiohead wouldn't respect the hits, but Pink Floyd hardly had any hit singles. You can't judge Pink Floyd by the few singles they have.

GibsonGirl said:

I've always found that interesting as well. While Pink Floyd and Radiohead are very different in a musical sense (for the most part - there are some similarities in certain songs), they share(d) the same attitudes towards music and breaking down the traditional idea of what a song is supposed to be. Most Radiohead songs don't have discernable choruses or song structures typical of other popular bands, and the same can be said about the Floyd. Both bands fucked around with their sound so much just because they can. Never mind what the record buying public thinks they should sound like! So yeah, in that respect, I too would have thought that Radiohead would admire Pink Floyd. Maybe they haven't heard the entire back catalogue. I could see how Radiohead wouldn't respect the hits, but Pink Floyd hardly had any hit singles. You can't judge Pink Floyd by the few singles they have.

My feeling exactly:up: :up:

I'm actually surprised that you guys thought that Radiohead would admire Pink Floyd. I can see where you are coming from, GG, but Pink Floyd is prog rock and many people think that prog rock tend to get a bit tame and boring in the long run (not me, but many, and that's why punk rock emerged). Radiohead is ALL about not being tame and boring - they are doing everything to avoid getting that image.

I'm rambling. :huh:

U2Man said:
I'm actually surprised that you guys thought that Radiohead would admire Pink Floyd. I can see where you are coming from, GG, but Pink Floyd is prog rock and many people think that prog rock tend to get a bit tame and boring in the long run (not me, but many, and that's why punk rock emerged). Radiohead is ALL about not being tame and boring - they are doing everything to avoid getting that image.

I'm rambling. :huh:

Not all of Pink Floyd is prog rock, though, that's the thing. The really early stuff after Syd Barrett's psychedelia was much more avant garde, much more experimental. That's the kind of Floyd I could see Radiohead liking. Not the Floyd that made DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall.

I just listened to Kid A for the first time today.

I'd have to say Radiohead has gone way farther in breaking down the idea of what a traditional song is than Pink Floyd ever did.

For the most part I enjoy listening to Pink Floyd more, though.

Bono's shades said:

I'd have to say Radiohead has gone way farther in breaking down the idea of what a traditional song is than Pink Floyd ever did.

I don't know about that... the studio side of Ummagumma could give Kid A a run for its money when it comes to breaking down traditional song writing. Come now, Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict is far more untraditional and experimental than anything on Kid A or Amnesiac. It's a pity Ummagumma's crap though. And what about Atom Heart Mother? There are some traditional sort of songs on that one, but there are also some very out there songs. I don't think Radiohead could ever pull off something like Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (mind you, PF didn't really pull it off either, heh.)

to the original poster, GNR could never be at the level of U2 neither The Beatles..their influence could be huge, but they were never quite as good as U2
This irish band is the best ever:up:

Time is a great deodorant. Even the Beatles aren't held in such high esteem now as they were just 10 to 15 years go.

When it's all said and done, probably 15 to 20 years from now, U2 will be considered the greatest band ever.

LPU2 said:

When it's all said and done, probably 15 to 20 years from now, U2 will be considered the greatest band ever.

by who? will there be a royal commission similiar to that conducted by the provisional russian government (minus the "royal" part) in 1917-18?

or did you mean the nme?

the same rag who puts out more best ever lists than aerosmith puts out 'greatest hits' collections?

or, maybe, you meant that you yourself think that YOU will find u2 to be your favourite band in 15 years time?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom