u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2002, 08:42 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:18 AM
u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking)

I just wanted to know who u guys think are better when it comes to the following catigories,

1. vocals: bono v.s thom

2. lyrics: bono v.s thom

3.gutair: edge v.s jonny

4.bass: adam v.s colin

5.drums: larry v.s phil

6.live show: u2 v.s rh

7.frontman proformance: bono v.s thom

8.fanbase:u2 v.s rh

9.album:actung baby v.s ok computer

10.popularity: u2 v.s rh

I just want to know u view on this catogories so feel free to flame me ( it will hurt but I can take it ) I think they are just simulaur in ways, I luv both but if u really look at both of their bodies of work you will see it too.For ex. when u2 first put out a.b the style they made known to the public was not known and NOT accepted much by the listing public, and they not only made it known but loved and legendnary same with zooropa and pop, it was like the uncommon thought on the common thing and I feel when r.h made threr albums it was the same basic formula but renergized and renewed in their own spacific way of creativity.I know what I'm saying is hard to swallow but if u think about it it will make sense(I hope) they are their own sources of insparation as apose to other bands that take "samples" of others mix it and call it "a bolt of insparationaly energy" that just fell out the sky.You know a band has that "spark" when you can get them all in the same room and one of them hits a note and slowly in bits and peices beauty forms in the mask of music , they are the makers of the orginal form of the creative gem they fused togather.You know it just comes in clips in phases or in long strokes but the point is it came to them without a plan just a thought of how beautiful THEY want it to be. I think it's called focus on fullfilling their dream of somthing that will LAST not whats HOT or the IN thing that will be shelved in a week or two but stuff you can pick up 5 or 7 years from now and still have that feeling of how much it touches your SOUL every time you hear it. Bands like this just seem to GET IT and we are blessed to RECIEVE it too.

p.s sorry for the ranting and grammer
peace& love RYTHEMWIRE

Old 06-21-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Kid A

Local Time: 10:18 PM
1. vocals: bono

2. lyrics: tie

3.gutair: jonny

4.bass: adam

5.drums: phil

6.live show: can't say, I haven't seen radiohead live due to "excessive flooding" cancellations in DC last year

7.frontman proformance: bono is a better "showman" (whatever than means?) but Thom is a superior musician and song-writer (plays guitar and keyboards while introducing most of the song ideas for the band to develop, oh, and he writes the lyrics, too)

8.fanbase: not sure what you mean by this, U2 have more fans obviously, but does that make U2 fans better than Radiohead fans??? probably U2 fans are a little more amiable

9.album: this is like comparing donuts and bagels, both are virtually flawless albums

10.popularity: clearly U2 sell more records and sell-out more shows

Old 06-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Normal

I cant really answer fairly because I havent seen radiohead live, but I have heard a few of their songs and from what heard I would be able to give a fair answer. I have been a fan of U2s long than Radiohead.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Re: u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking)

1. vocals: Bono

2. lyrics: They are both so different lyrically that I cant compare them.

3.gutair: Edge

4.bass: Adam

5.drums: Larry

6.live show: I have not seen radiohead live so I would have to say U2

7.frontman performance: Same as 6 but Bono is an awesome performer

8.fanbase: U2

9.album: Achtung Baby

10.popularity: U2

Oh dear.. I love Radiohead but I think I'm biased.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:07 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 PM
edge over jonny? i mean edge is awesome, and diverse but....

id have to disagree.

good thread though, ill post more here later when i have time.

not that you really care, but just thought id mention it.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
edge over jonny?
that sounds gay
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

2. lyrics: They are both so different lyrically that I cant compare them.

3.gutair: Edge

4.bass: Adam

5.drums: Larry

6.live show: I have not seen radiohead live so I would have to say U2

7.frontman performance: Same as 6 but Bono is an awesome performer

8.fanbase: U2

9.album: Achtung Baby

10.popularity: U2

Oh dear.. I love Radiohead but I think I'm biased.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:02 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think you can really quantify it. I mean, what are better lyrics, "fake plastic trees" or "wild honey"?.... ....there's no contest.
on the otherhand....there's "bullet the blue sky" verses "bones"...
the same can be said for the other categories as well.

both have their own amazing moments.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:20 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
that sounds gay
oh salome, i guess you didnt understand the context of what was being said. we actually werent talking about homo-eroticsm, rather who was ranked higher.

at least your mind is in the right place, and your not grasping for straws in a lame attempt to put me down.

anyway,

2. lyrics: bono

3.gutair: greenwood, no question about it.

4.bass: Adam has some killer lines like mofo, please, wowy, to name but a few, but so does colin, like airbag, packt like sardines, and how to disappear completely.

5.drums: sorry larry, you dont even begin to compare to phil. try playing airbag sometime, or even paranoid android. maybe then youll use half of the drum kit you sit behind during your live shows.

6.live show: both are great.

7.frontman performance: performance wise, bono is a better showman without question. however, hes usually free to do as he pleases cause he rarely plays an instrument like thom does. oh and when bono is playing guitar, its rarely plugged in...

8.fanbase: U2 because radiohead fans suck. theyre the most stuck up, self rightous dolts that youll ever meet. nothing is good enough for them.

9.album: achtung baby or pop are epics imo

10.popularity: stupid and most irrelevant of all questions asked. creed is popular, what does that mean anyway?
Old 06-24-2002, 11:43 PM   #10
Kid A

one category that you should have included is music videos and album/set art work; radiohead wins this easily, though Bono does generally wear cool jackets, it's simply not enough
Old 06-24-2002, 11:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

i agree about the videos and artwork.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:57 PM   #12
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

You suck more than a Hoover

Quote:
5.drums: sorry larry, you dont even begin to compare to phil. try playing airbag sometime, or even paranoid android. maybe then youll use half of the drum kit you sit behind during your live shows.
* shoves a drumstick up your ass
Old 06-25-2002, 12:02 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

oh salome, i guess you didnt understand the context of what was being said. we actually werent talking about homo-eroticsm, rather who was ranked higher.

at least your mind is in the right place, and your not grasping for straws in a lame attempt to put me down.

anyway,

2. lyrics: bono

3.gutair: greenwood, no question about it.

4.bass: Adam has some killer lines like mofo, please, wowy, to name but a few, but so does colin, like airbag, packt like sardines, and how to disappear completely.

6.live show: both are great.

7.frontman performance: performance wise, bono is a better showman without question. however, hes usually free to do as he pleases cause he rarely plays an instrument like thom does. oh and when bono is playing guitar, its rarely plugged in...

8.fanbase: U2 because radiohead fans suck. theyre the most stuck up, self rightous dolts that youll ever meet. nothing is good enough for them.

9.album: achtung baby or pop are epics imo

10.popularity: stupid and most irrelevant of all questions asked. creed is popular, what does that mean anyway?

listen to larry's drumming throughout unforgettable fire/joshua periods.
no one has ever played parts like that in rock.
and the drums on airbag from ok computer are a sampled 3 second swatch from phil.
and radiohead fans aren't that bad.
I'm one of them.:lemon:
Old 06-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

ok, sorry, im not trying to put down larry, i sounded to harsh.

but ask any drummer here, and they will tell you larry is not nearly the best drummer in the bus.

and...many will consider phil to be up there.

and btw, airbag is sampled, but he plays it live. try playing paranoid android too, that song is pretty much off beat with everything else at the beginning, am i right? i might not be...

anyway, im not really trying to take anything away from larry, im just saying i believe phil is a better drummer.

when it comes to looks though...hoho, you better believe it - larry is dynamite.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:15 AM   #15
Kid A

yeah Phil won't rate well in PLEBA, but neither does this dead-ringer for a young Allan Greenspan, I'm really not famous or anything

Larry is good at what he does, but I have always wondered what someone like Stewart Copeland of The Police would do sitting there behind Adam and The Edge

Tags
radiohead