U2 should listen to Depeche Mode's new album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i heard DM were pretty much letting other people work on the album for them, keyboards and all.

from a FAN, of all people... can you confirm that?

trevgreg said:
i heard DM were pretty much letting other people work on the album for them, keyboards and all.

from a FAN, of all people... can you confirm that?

Considering that Martin Gore is a multi-instrumentalist and Billy Corgan-level control freak, I'd be highly doubtful of that.

Half the songs on Playing The Angel are trashable. Can't say that about any U2 album.

Re: Re: U2 should listen to Depeche Mode's new album!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lol: This is suppose to be ironic right? This is DM's most derivative album yet, it's a cover album of their former selves.

I agree. I think Playing the Angel sucks. And the tour in support of it lacks any power behind it..

onyourkneesboy said:
Talking about a band being daring!
I'm going to guess that this is the first Depeche Mode album you've ever heard. Either that or you have the worst musical taste in history. This is FAR from Depeche Mode's best album, they've put out a lot better than this.

Re: Re: U2 should listen to Depeche Mode's new album!

cleazer said:
I'm going to guess that this is the first Depeche Mode album you've ever heard. Either that or you have the worst musical taste in history. This is FAR from Depeche Mode's best album, they've put out a lot better than this.

Watch it!

You're coming dangerously close to having "editor in chief" come in and accuse you of being "abrasive"!

:lol:

Er, or having the discussion locked down altogether!

Seriously though, I loved DM back in the day, but, unlike U2, I think they're "spent".

DONE.

Washed up.

Shot their creative load.

Their new album could be great but my gut feeling tells me it's probably not.

:)

Playing the Angels: I really like it! Not Violator by any means, but still a very good record. Great live show in support of the album too, at least the one I saw in early November.

HelloAngel said:

Considering that Martin Gore is a multi-instrumentalist and Billy Corgan-level control freak, I'd be highly doubtful of that.

ok... well, I liked some of the album myself, but the only reason I said what I did was because a DM fan who didn't like the album said this on another forum...

Martin Gore is a great songwriter and singer, but he sucks on keys too. Depeche Mode has become a flippping joke. Here is a keyboard based band, and not one official band member can even properly play keys. They have to hire side guys live, and look on the album credits. 100 producers, and "extra' keys by so and so.

When they were recording "Exciter", I have interviews where Martin says he would phone up the studio to "ask how the record was going". Seriously. Bjork's producer literally worked it all out, and the band would phone in WHILE IN OTHER COUNTRIES to see how "their" album was going!

trevgreg said:

Martin Gore is a great songwriter and singer, but he sucks on keys too. Depeche Mode has become a flippping joke. Here is a keyboard based band, and not one official band member can even properly play keys. They have to hire side guys live, and look on the album credits. 100 producers, and "extra' keys by so and so.

When they were recording "Exciter", I have interviews where Martin says he would phone up the studio to "ask how the record was going". Seriously. Bjork's producer literally worked it all out, and the band would phone in WHILE IN OTHER COUNTRIES to see how "their" album was going!

If that's the case, that is a sorry, sorry state of affairs for that band. Why they bother anymore is beyond me. (Sometimes.)

Re: Re: Re: U2 should listen to Depeche Mode's new album!

twochordcool said:

Watch it!

You're coming dangerously close to having "editor in chief" come in and accuse you of being "abrasive"!

Er, or having the discussion locked down altogether!

Seriously though, I loved DM back in the day, but, unlike U2, I think they're "spent".

DONE.

Washed up.

Shot their creative load.

Their new album could be great but my gut feeling tells me it's probably not.

:)

I haven't heard the new DM album - but I'm sure there are a few songs on it that are interesting to most fans.

More importantly, I don't agree with your assessment of U2 at all. Unless your comments are meant to be facetious - in which case, never mind. ;)

all I know is that I have their album EXCITER...

and really it's not exciting AT ALL...

deal with that

DM isn't really breaking new ground...........personally, I'm a fan of their early eighties material rather than the more mainstream stuff that followed.......

U2 definitely should start listening to indie bands.....might give them some ideas. Because if they're looking at the big bands out there (Coldplay, Franz, Killers), it's not really going to inspire them to do anything creative.....

While I like some parts of Playing The Angel, it sounds like the missing album between Violater and Songs Of Faith And Devotion....Songs Of Faith...now THERE'S an amazing album!

BigMacPhisto said:
U2 definitely should start listening to indie bands.....might give them some ideas. Because if they're looking at the big bands out there (Coldplay, Franz, Killers), it's not really going to inspire them to do anything creative.....

U2 do listen to the "indie" bands. That's why they invited them on tour. They love all those bands.

Playing the Angel is way better than Exciter (probably the worst DM album). So I was worried that it would be Exciter 2 but it really is a great album. And the tour supporting it isn't bad either.

What's wrong with Playing The Angel? :angry:

I love it!!! :love:

Precious
Suffer Well
The Sinner In Me
Nothing's Impossible
I Want It All
John The Revelator
A Pain That I'm Used To...

:heart:

But I can't compare it to HTDAAB right now :huh:

Yea, I wouldn't say Playing The Angel is Depeche's most derivative album. That honor goes to "Exciter." Remember "The Dead Of Night." I would pay to have that song wiped from my memory. As for the newest album, I think it's alot stronger than U2's. "Precious" is by far their most emotional single released, and the album's got plenty to offer in the way of memorable songs: "A Pain That I'm Used To", "John The Revelator", "Suffer Well", "The Sinner In Me", "I Want It All", "Lilian", "Damaged People." There's a couple crap songs - "Macro" is hideous, "Nothing's Impossible" is a total borefest, and the last song on the album takes forever to get where it's going, and then gets lost and forgets the destination. They should've put "Newborn", their latest single's B-side, on the album. Right after "Precious" would've been smart placing. I should seriously be an album consultant. :)

I would say Depeche Mode is still relevant...if you're gonna get into a pissing contest of which band is relevant, at least the Mode are still capable of churning out a great album. U2 might be capable of great songs but they sadly leave those off the album. I was at a Depeche Mode concert couple months ago. Every person in the place was hysterical and singing word for word along to every song, even the newer ones. Seems to me like they're still relevant. And they never were a flash in the pan band, they paid their dues just like U2 did, continuously releasing excellent albums and singles, and finally the people and media caught up to them. They got probably one of the biggest cult followings. And they don't call themselves biggest band in the world either, or label themselves anything. They have too much dignity for that.

Depeche Mode rules!

Zootlesque said:
What's wrong with Playing The Angel? :angry:

I love it!!! :love:

Precious
Suffer Well
The Sinner In Me
Nothing's Impossible
I Want It All
John The Revelator
A Pain That I'm Used To...

:heart:

But I can't compare it to HTDAAB right now :huh:

I really agree. I saw the playing the angel tour, and it rocked minus a little bit of video that was a little too explcit.

I really love Suffer Well right now. It has the potential to be a awesome single. I bought the album because I loved precious and I found a good price for it and haven't stopped listening to it. Plus they keep featuring some of the music on my favorite show SMALLVILLE:love:

As for all the DM haters, I would have to say this isn't there number one best album (that honor goes to Violator). But it is still powerful enough to take a good listen to.

ozeeko said:
"Precious" is by far their most emotional single released, and the album's got plenty to offer in the way of memorable songs: "A Pain That I'm Used To", "John The Revelator", "Suffer Well", "The Sinner In Me", "I Want It All", "Lilian", "Damaged People." There's a couple crap songs - "Macro" is hideous, "Nothing's Impossible" is a total borefest, and the last song on the album takes forever to get where it's going, and then gets lost and forgets the destination.

I agree with all of that except... I think Nothing's Impossible is much better than Macro! I love those deep dark vocals and synths in NI.

ozeeko said:

I would say Depeche Mode is still relevant

U2 might be capable of great songs but they sadly leave those off the album.

And they don't call themselves biggest band in the world either, or label themselves anything. They have too much dignity for that.

I agree wholeheartedly with all those points you made!

If U2 had actually beefed up Native Son and given it the punch that Vertigo has, I would have preferred it to Vertigo! That 'Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' bridge is a thousand times better than the stupid 'all of this can be yours' line. And of course, there's Fast Cars, Mercy, Stateless etc. which are IMO better than most of the songs that are actually on the album! Even the alternate versions of ABOY and Crumbs are I think better than their album counterparts!

And the last point of yours that I quoted couldn't be truer! I literally cringed during that 60 minutes interview with Bono when the Interviewer asked him if U2 still wanted to be the best band in the world.. and Bono went 'Line them up! Line 'em up!!!' with a totally egotistical smirk! No wonder non-fans hate him! :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom