U2 should listen to Depeche Mode's new album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think depeche mode have ever made a truly terrible record (okay well, i'll just cover my ears and pretend songs of faith and devotion live never happened).

but ultra and exciter were kinda clunkers overall. playing the angel is an improvement, a step in the right direction if you will. i just think they haven't figured out what to do musically since alan left. martin may be the songwriter, but alan really took what martin did and transformed the songs into masterpieces or whatever (masterpiece sounds so overly dramatic but i can't think of another word to use) so there's really a crucial element missing now.

fletch isn't really much of a musician and david doesn't play any instruments so you're really just left with martin so it wouldn't surprise me if they've got other musicians working on the album as well.

so...yeah. there's my two cents.

KhanadaRhodes said:
but ultra and exciter were kinda clunkers overall

:ohmy: I've heard nothing but praise for Ultra! Okay, I can recall one poster in B&C that didn't think highly of it but...

Barrel Of A Gun, It's No Good, Home, Useless... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm thinking of getting the album used or something. :hmm:

Btw, you never answered my PM to you about DM. :grumpy:

Zootlesque said:
:ohmy: I've heard nothing but praise for Ultra! Okay, I can recall one poster in B&C that didn't think highly of it but...

:shrug: i just think they haven't made an excellent album since alan left. playing the angel is definitely a step in the right direction though, and a marked improvement over ultra and exciter.

Btw, you never answered my PM to you about DM. :grumpy:
silly me, i thought private messages were private.

Zootlesque said:

Barrel Of A Gun, It's No Good, Home, Useless... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

And my personal favorite, "Insight." Excellent song!!

Livi

ultra was pretty bad, and exciter was pretty really bad. the new one is rather good, their best since the very awesome songs of faith & devotion. their live show leaves a bit to be desired though.

Hardly dareing it sounded like Depeche Mode but a tired version of them. I was truely disapointed with Playing the Angel. There was nothing inovative about that album. U2 should most definately not look to Depeche Mode for inspiration. Though it might be better than Bono looking to Hip Hop for inspiration.:laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom