U2 - REM - Radiohead: best band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I thought of this in the "Passion" thread; we know these three bands have, in the last years, been most often linked to the title of being the best.

We also know they are mutual friends and respect each other, and always speak highly of each other. I think the critics usually rate all three pretty high, but it seems the media is wanting to stick the label of "best band in the world" to any of them at any given time.

What do you think? Is it a competition, can we really say that any one is the best, being subjective and being fans of U2?

*edit* Interestingly, Radiohead, REM and U2 have issued albums at the same time. POP and OK computer, Reveal and ATYCLB (right?) and "Vertigo" and Around the sun.

Last edited:
I'm with Skeek in that I dont think there's any true competition going on between these bands or any other bands. The idea of 'best band in the world' is far too subjective. Music is just too much of a personal preference to ever be able to truely try to rate what's best and what's not.

I know a lot of people really think of other bands ever selling more records or getting more press than U2 puts them in direct competition. I dont think it has to be that way at all. There's a place for everything, and it's all relative. Like what you like and enjoy it, that's all any band wants.

I think they should all join forces to make a supergroup ~ and THAT would be the greatest band in the world.

Or at least right behind Supertramp! :up:

MrBrau1 said:
It's good to have all 3 bands still making records.

Very true :yes:. :up: to what u2popmofo said, too.

Personally, U2'd still be my favorite out of all those bands (course, it also factors in that they're the band I've heard the most stuff from out of the three...), but I do like the other two bands and hold the utmost respect for them and for what all they've contributed to music, and it seems pretty obvious that all three bands are the same way.

I've never understood the whole competition thing, either-music isn't meant to be a race, it isn't meant to be some clique thing. It's meant for enjoyment, it's meant to bring people together.

Angela

yeah, i don't need to comment because it's already been said (u2popmofo, mrbrau). good thing too, since they phrased it better than i probably would have.

I think they should all join forces to make a supergroup ~ and THAT would be the greatest band in the world.

Or at least right behind Supertramp!

:laugh::mad::wink:

Last edited:
Very true, MrBrau. And as everyone else here has agreed, mofo is right. Music is all about what you like. There's something for everyone in the music world, and that's a beautiful thing.

And :lol: at the Supertramp comment! :up:

Last edited:
actuall non of them are the best band in the world that title goes to the beatles! like it or not. rem and radiohead are not that good.
they arnt even rock&roll bands more like alternative stuff. and thats the truth. both are nice bands that sell records but come on.

shaun vox said:
actuall non of them are the best band in the world that title goes to the beatles! like it or not. rem and radiohead are not that good.
they arnt even rock&roll bands more like alternative stuff. and thats the truth. both are nice bands that sell records but come on.

At first I was just going to post "lol".

I have no idea why I'm going to acknowledge this, maybe I'm just bored. The Beatles don't exist. I don't where you've been the past fourty years, but everyone on this side of Mars knows they broke up a long, long time ago.

The other three bands listed are still making music. Some better than others.

I'm tired of writing this post now.

Zoorock Girl! said:
The other three bands listed are still making music. .

This is my only response to Shaun vox :/

I mean, the Beatles are great, but they can hardly make any original music these days with only two of the four remaining!

U2 are unique, what the team effort of musicians, technicians, management and a whole lot of soul soul soul sweet soul produced in the 80's and 90's is beyond compare.

imho

the creation of music is beyond any sense of being competitive, but if there was a competition, U2 would win

imho

ok what about the Rolling stones they are the best band in the world not rem or radiohead.....

note. rem and radiohead are great bands but not the best...

shaun vox said:
ok what about the Rolling stones they are the best band in the world not rem or radiohead.....

note. rem and radiohead are great bands but not the best...

Sean, your criteria for chosing the best band in the world is a bit troubling. Will the Rolling Stones ever release another album again? I don't think so.

There's no best band in the world anyway, it's all opinion. Competitions in music are lame. If you're interested anyway, feel free to watch the shit that is American Idiot -- err Idol.

I'm gonna be a musician ass and compare the bands originally mentioned based on musical ability per instrument.

Vocals:
Bono wins, hands down. Stipe and Yorke are great, but nowhere near the variety of ranges Bono can sing, and they are also not as larger than life as frontmen. Lyrically, that's tough..(only because I think Bono has slagged off recently) but if you put their best on top, I still think Bono wins (narrowly).

Guitars: Edge. Reason: He invented a style of guitar playing, one that even Peter Buck, Johnny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien follow to this day. That is not to say that those guys don't have other influences and aren't original, but Edge is in the top 5 of rock guitarists who have invented a sound. Now then, if I needed someone to play jazz I'd pick Johnny.

Bass: Tough one. My personal favorite is Adam, but this is not about favorites. Mike Mills has played many a memorable bass line, and also sings and plays keyboards. Colin Greenwood is skilled on electric and acoustic bass as well as keys. In the end, I think Adam has the more recognizable bass lines, such as "New Years Day" ,"With or Without You", etc....the average person on the street knows those. Again, on a jazz gig, I'd pick Colin....then again I always thought Colin sounded alot like Adam sometimes.

Drums: Goin with Larry. Reason: His feel is better than Phil Selway's or Bill Berry's, and he has also played more memorable drum parts: "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Beutiful Day", etc.
The average person on the street knows these. Jazz: Again, Phil. "Pyramid Song" and "Morning Bell" almost swayed me here.

ok, now songs and songwriting: Winner: U2. Why? They're still in the mainstream after 25 years and continue to write great material that ACTUALLY gets heard on the radio. This is important so the average person hears their music instead of just die-hard fans...and the songs they've written are in the rock and roll history books even now....Radiohead and REM can't really say the same even though they have their place as well.

If you add it up, it's U2.

Then again, you can tell me to stick it and REM or Radiohead is better.

JOFO said:
I'm gonna be a musician ass and compare the bands originally mentioned based on musical ability per instrument.

Vocals:
Bono wins, hands down. Stipe and Yorke are great, but nowhere near the variety of ranges Bono can sing, and they are also not as larger than life as frontmen. Lyrically, that's tough..(only because I think Bono has slagged off recently) but if you put their best on top, I still think Bono wins (narrowly).

Guitars: Edge. Reason: He invented a style of guitar playing, one that even Peter Buck, Johnny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien follow to this day. That is not to say that those guys don't have other influences and aren't original, but Edge is in the top 5 of rock guitarists who have invented a sound. Now then, if I needed someone to play jazz I'd pick Johnny.

Bass: Tough one. My personal favorite is Adam, but this is not about favorites. Mike Mills has played many a memorable bass line, and also sings and plays keyboards. Colin Greenwood is skilled on electric and acoustic bass as well as keys. In the end, I think Adam has the more recognizable bass lines, such as "New Years Day" ,"With or Without You", etc....the average person on the street knows those. Again, on a jazz gig, I'd pick Colin....then again I always thought Colin sounded alot like Adam sometimes.

Drums: Goin with Larry. Reason: His feel is better than Phil Selway's or Bill Berry's, and he has also played more memorable drum parts: "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Beutiful Day", etc.
The average person on the street knows these. Jazz: Again, Phil. "Pyramid Song" and "Morning Bell" almost swayed me here.

ok, now songs and songwriting: Winner: U2. Why? They're still in the mainstream after 25 years and continue to write great material that ACTUALLY gets heard on the radio. This is important so the average person hears their music instead of just die-hard fans...and the songs they've written are in the rock and roll history books even now....Radiohead and REM can't really say the same even though they have their place as well.

If you add it up, it's U2.

Then again, you can tell me to stick it and REM or Radiohead is better.

Interesting, to say the least. I don't agree with all of it, but that's to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom