U2 - REM - Radiohead: best band in the world? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
actuall non of them are the best band in the world that title goes to the beatles! like it or not. rem and radiohead are not that good.
they arnt even rock&roll bands more like alternative stuff. and thats the truth. both are nice bands that sell records but come on.
At first I was just going to post "lol".

I have no idea why I'm going to acknowledge this, maybe I'm just bored. The Beatles don't exist. I don't where you've been the past fourty years, but everyone on this side of Mars knows they broke up a long, long time ago.

The other three bands listed are still making music. Some better than others.

I'm tired of writing this post now.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoorock Girl!
The other three bands listed are still making music. .
This is my only response to Shaun vox :/

I mean, the Beatles are great, but they can hardly make any original music these days with only two of the four remaining!

Old 08-08-2004, 12:45 AM   #18
The Fly

yeah, that's kinda funny isn't it.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:28 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:51 AM
U2 are unique, what the team effort of musicians, technicians, management and a whole lot of soul soul soul sweet soul produced in the 80's and 90's is beyond compare.

imho

the creation of music is beyond any sense of being competitive, but if there was a competition, U2 would win

imho
Old 08-08-2004, 02:33 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:51 AM
what about Meatloaf?

a guy with that name ought to be up there.

together with Meggie's favourites Seafood, of course.

crap, that reminds me I've got to get lunch.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:38 AM   #21
New Yorker

ok what about the Rolling stones they are the best band in the world not rem or radiohead.....

note. rem and radiohead are great bands but not the best...
Old 08-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
ok what about the Rolling stones they are the best band in the world not rem or radiohead.....

note. rem and radiohead are great bands but not the best...
Sean, your criteria for chosing the best band in the world is a bit troubling. Will the Rolling Stones ever release another album again? I don't think so.

There's no best band in the world anyway, it's all opinion. Competitions in music are lame. If you're interested anyway, feel free to watch the shit that is American Idiot -- err Idol.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm gonna be a musician ass and compare the bands originally mentioned based on musical ability per instrument.

Vocals:
Bono wins, hands down. Stipe and Yorke are great, but nowhere near the variety of ranges Bono can sing, and they are also not as larger than life as frontmen. Lyrically, that's tough..(only because I think Bono has slagged off recently) but if you put their best on top, I still think Bono wins (narrowly).

Guitars: Edge. Reason: He invented a style of guitar playing, one that even Peter Buck, Johnny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien follow to this day. That is not to say that those guys don't have other influences and aren't original, but Edge is in the top 5 of rock guitarists who have invented a sound. Now then, if I needed someone to play jazz I'd pick Johnny.

Bass: Tough one. My personal favorite is Adam, but this is not about favorites. Mike Mills has played many a memorable bass line, and also sings and plays keyboards. Colin Greenwood is skilled on electric and acoustic bass as well as keys. In the end, I think Adam has the more recognizable bass lines, such as "New Years Day" ,"With or Without You", etc....the average person on the street knows those. Again, on a jazz gig, I'd pick Colin....then again I always thought Colin sounded alot like Adam sometimes.

Drums: Goin with Larry. Reason: His feel is better than Phil Selway's or Bill Berry's, and he has also played more memorable drum parts: "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Beutiful Day", etc.
The average person on the street knows these. Jazz: Again, Phil. "Pyramid Song" and "Morning Bell" almost swayed me here.

ok, now songs and songwriting: Winner: U2. Why? They're still in the mainstream after 25 years and continue to write great material that ACTUALLY gets heard on the radio. This is important so the average person hears their music instead of just die-hard fans...and the songs they've written are in the rock and roll history books even now....Radiohead and REM can't really say the same even though they have their place as well.

If you add it up, it's U2.

Then again, you can tell me to stick it and REM or Radiohead is better.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:34 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 12:51 PM
No classic rock bands in this discussion!!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:37 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:51 PM
I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the matter, JOFO. Definitely food for thought.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 AM   #26
New Yorker

ya some people here dont give a fuck for classic rock!

and who the hell gives a crap for american idol(why even bring that up)
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:51 PM
WHat aboot MetaLLICA! and GuNS and ROSEs maN!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #28
The Fly

"I'm in anger with you!!!" = worst lyric of all time.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #29
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
I'm gonna be a musician ass and compare the bands originally mentioned based on musical ability per instrument.

Vocals:
Bono wins, hands down. Stipe and Yorke are great, but nowhere near the variety of ranges Bono can sing, and they are also not as larger than life as frontmen. Lyrically, that's tough..(only because I think Bono has slagged off recently) but if you put their best on top, I still think Bono wins (narrowly).

Guitars: Edge. Reason: He invented a style of guitar playing, one that even Peter Buck, Johnny Greenwood, and Ed O'Brien follow to this day. That is not to say that those guys don't have other influences and aren't original, but Edge is in the top 5 of rock guitarists who have invented a sound. Now then, if I needed someone to play jazz I'd pick Johnny.

Bass: Tough one. My personal favorite is Adam, but this is not about favorites. Mike Mills has played many a memorable bass line, and also sings and plays keyboards. Colin Greenwood is skilled on electric and acoustic bass as well as keys. In the end, I think Adam has the more recognizable bass lines, such as "New Years Day" ,"With or Without You", etc....the average person on the street knows those. Again, on a jazz gig, I'd pick Colin....then again I always thought Colin sounded alot like Adam sometimes.

Drums: Goin with Larry. Reason: His feel is better than Phil Selway's or Bill Berry's, and he has also played more memorable drum parts: "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Beutiful Day", etc.
The average person on the street knows these. Jazz: Again, Phil. "Pyramid Song" and "Morning Bell" almost swayed me here.

ok, now songs and songwriting: Winner: U2. Why? They're still in the mainstream after 25 years and continue to write great material that ACTUALLY gets heard on the radio. This is important so the average person hears their music instead of just die-hard fans...and the songs they've written are in the rock and roll history books even now....Radiohead and REM can't really say the same even though they have their place as well.

If you add it up, it's U2.

Then again, you can tell me to stick it and REM or Radiohead is better.
Interesting, to say the least. I don't agree with all of it, but that's to be expected.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 PM
My vote goes to Hanson!!! Yay!!!

Tags
radiohead, rem