U2 Mirrors The Beatles.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

Two Hearts and Red Light are jazz? You ever heard real jazz? And Ava Maria is not a U2 song, it is a cover, you can't possibly credit the creation of it to them.

It was late when I wrote that: I meant Two Shots Of Happy. As for Ave Maria, they did it. I don't care if they covered it. The Beatles covered a hell of a lot more songs than U2 did. Also, I forgot to mention country: The Wanderer and Slow Dancing.

phanan said:
No offense, but the fact that you are only 20 years old or so may have something to do with that.

Seeing as I listen to the oldies and classic rock radio stations more than the modern rock stations and the only songs by any of those bands I hear often are Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, Rock And Roll, Wish You Were Here, and Light My Fire, and I hear more U2 songs on the classic rock station than that (In the past four weeks I've heard Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky, Desire, and All I Want Is You), the tale is told.

the tourist said:

Seeing as I listen to the oldies and classic rock radio stations more than the modern rock stations and the only songs by any of those bands I hear often are Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, Rock And Roll, Wish You Were Here, and Light My Fire, and I hear more U2 songs on the classic rock station than that (In the past four weeks I've heard Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet The Blue Sky, Desire, and All I Want Is You), the tale is told.

Well, I don't know what kind of classic rock station you have, because most of the ones around here play a lot more Doors songs than Light My Fire and a hell of a lot more Pink Floyd songs than Wish You Were Here (some even play half of Dark Side Of The Moon at a time). They do so because they are timeless classics.

U2 has timeless classics too, obviously, but not as much as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd (although I would agree they probably have more than The Doors).

Despite being a huge U2 fan, I think I'm being fairly impartial with this.

There was some U.K. poll about top 100 albums, Radiohead and U2, I think, were higher than the Beatles.

The young people are revolting against the Beatles monarchy!

I keed I keed.

However, if the youth are the live blood of any society, as Adam once remarked, the poll is showing the generation gap.

Last edited:
TheRooster said:
The sheer ignorance on this board is astounding.

You're completely right, U2 is my favorite band but saying All the Beatles songs sound the same or that CCR, The Who, The Doors or freakin' Pink Floyd have a couple of hits it's just plain stupid discussing which band is better is just pointless however which is more influential is more realistic and no group will ever beat the Beatles in that area.

the tourist said:

As for Ave Maria, they did it. I don't care if they covered it. The Beatles covered a hell of a lot more songs than U2 did. Also, I forgot to mention country: The Wanderer

wanderer , country .....

more like industrial to me

:wink:

u2 do not mirror the beatles

as individuals , the beatles were much stronger

take solo albums for example

john lennon easily beats bono
as a rock star
as a poet
ringo sings better than larry
Macca destroys clayton

the tourist said:
They've defied every genre of music

So have the Beatles. They've done many kinds of music, too.

Personally, I like both bands. I think they've both contributed a hell of a lot of good things to music. And just as the Beatles are remembered, I feel U2 is up there in rememberance, too.

Also, I don't see how length of time together is a valid argument for why one band's better than the other. While I understand the Beatles were having personal issues with each other at the end of their days together, from what my parents tell me, they also broke up because they felt they'd gone as far as they could go as a group, they felt they'd done everything they could do as a band. U2 obviously doesn't feel that's happened to them yet, so that's one reason (of many) why they're still together.

Angela

Bizarro-Tourist: "I don't see what's so great about Radiohead. 'Creep' sucks."

Tourist, please stop treating your opinions as authoritative when your entire knowledge of rock history is based on a few songs you've heard on the radio. It's fine to have an opinion, but it's stupid to slag off bands you hardly know.

I love U2, otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum, but really..Sgnt Peppers was recorded on a 4 Track recorder in 2 months-2 Months!! on a 4 track!! People are amazed that U2 were able to record Zooropa during the Zoo TV tour-The Beatles Played constantly between 1963-1966 and their time off was spent recording their first 6 albums-check out their output in 6 and a half years, it's astounding-add to that the fact that they released 2 singles a year that did not apear on albums..

With The Beatles ('63)
A Hard Day's Night ('64)
Beatles For Sale ('64)
Help! ('65)
Rubber Soul ('66)
Revolver ('66)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band ('67)
Magical Mystery Tour(67)
The Beatles [White Album] ('68)
Yellow Submarine ('69)
Abbey Road ('69)
Let It Be ('70)

Again I love U2, but the Beatles.......It's not even close

And the sheer amount of drugs they were doing during that time... boggles the mind. Would burn anyone out.

Although sometimes I wonder about 90s era U2...
What was Edge's quote, reflecting on Pop...? "The band were in a different frame of mind for that album."

- Dr. LS

First of all saying that The Beatles had no competition was the stupidest and I do mean by far THE STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard. One of my favorite bands are The Doors. The Doors revolutionized the "show" experience. Jim Morrisons stage presence has influenced the likes of Bono and Michael Hutchence. U2 does have competition but they are on a different level. What musical genre could you possibly put them in? :eyebrow:

U2 is my favorite band.

The Beatles are the greatest, though. All the members of U2 will tell you that.

Although others have already done this, talent wise this is how they stack up (comparing strength against strength):

John vs. Bono - John

Paul vs. Edge - Paul

George vs. Adam - George

Ringo vs. Larry - who cares?

Again, U2 is my favorite band and Bono is my favorite musician, but I concede that they are not at The Beatles level. U2 has 1 song writing genius, where The Beatles had 3.

bathiu said:
It so happens I was raised on all of their 300 songs, every one of them sounding the same... with minor diferences

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I stopped respecting your opinion right there. Making such a statement shows that you have obviously not listened to much of the Beatles. The White Album alone is universally known for its varied styles. If Honey Pie sounds like Within You, Without You, then Mofo sounds like Scarlet. Even though you've already been called out on this, let me reiterate. This statement is about as accurate as the one made by the website that says "U2 are leading as many people as they can into the coming kingdom of the Anti-Christ".

It's nothing personal, but seriously, I could not believe someone would make such a statement. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom