U2 fans angry at band's new web charge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
From yesterday´s Sunday Independent

U2 DEVOTEES have accused the band of exploiting vulnerable fans after the band's website introduced an entrance levy on the fan forum.

Until last week, those who logged on to U2.com could exchange opinions with other fans online free of charge, but now they must pay up the full $40 (€32) subscription charge to do so.

Now the band's supporters are so incensed that they have come together and organised a petition to save the U2.com fan forum called Zootopia.

U2 fan Declan O'Reilly told the Sunday Independent that the hundreds of fans who access the forum were hugely disappointed at the abruptdecision.

Mr O'Reilly, who runs a tribute website to U2 called Hanoverquay.info, said he was only made aware that the forum had been restricted to paid subscribers when he saw an emailed petition from a fan on his own website.

The fan explained that the website masters claimed that the charge was to cut out troublemakers on the forum. When Mr O'Reilly tried to access the forum, he was denied, but given no explanation why.

He said: "I am not a paid-up subscriber myself as while I attend U2 concerts and purchase the band's CDs, I don't believe in paying for the privilege of going on the website."

Mr O'Reilly added: "I am sceptical of the reasons why they introduced this charge and feel it is just a ploy to play on fans' vulnerabilities. I think that fans deserve a full explanation."

It is not the first time U2 have been accused of greed by irate fans. In January, the band's website message board bristled with complaints about the price of the Vertigo tour tickets.

One fan wrote: "They tout themselves as a benevolent band, and yet they charge top dollar." A spokesman for the band's management did not return calls for comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom