u2 fan in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor girl. It's such a shame that people get all caught up with the pro-ana stuff, and encourage each other. I had a hard time watching a family member suffer from anorexia, and unfortunatly, sufferers are not going to get help unless they want it. We could all go over and post real encouragement, but I doubt it would do any good.

I was ana in high school for a year or so after I had moved and gained some weight. Since my family is so appearance-obsessed, they would just keep egging me on. No one seemed to care or want to help me until I nearly got killed at a Smashing Pumkins concert after some guy from the bleachers jumped on top of me and my body wasn't strong enough anymore to withstand the impact. Even now I struggle with weight obsession, but I'm far healther in the mind now to do things in a more natural way.

That's disturbing. Honestly, she seems more into getting attention than having a true eating disorder. Many people don't recognize there's a difference between disordered eating and having an eating disorder. Eating disorders are diseases; people don't use them to get attention or become a supermodel. They're usually a means of control and get to the point where it's not about food, it's not about weight, it's all about control.

What a absolute shame! It all just breaks my heart because most of those girls will be dead by 30 if they live that long. They are just feeding off each other! Some of the photos made me cringe. That is one of the worst sites I have ever experienced. If those girls/women could accept help and get well they would be prettier and better than Brittney Spears. Somehow somewhere I think Brittney should be made aware of this site.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
That's disturbing. Honestly, she seems more into getting attention than having a true eating disorder. Many people don't recognize there's a difference between disordered eating and having an eating disorder. Eating disorders are diseases; people don't use them to get attention or become a supermodel. They're usually a means of control and get to the point where it's not about food, it's not about weight, it's all about control.

much aggreed. it struck a chord with me because my cousin used to suffer from anorexia and when i think about it it was ultimeatly about control. she has recovered since and now volunteers to talk at schools and girl scout type places to girls about eating disorders.

being the parent of a daughter, this stuff makes me cringe.
although right now the person closest to me suffering from anorexia is my friend's brother.. it's starting to affect men more and more but not talked about as much.

what gets me insane are the sites that proclaim "anorexia is a lifestyle not a disease"... it's a terrifying world to be sending my child into, you know?

she's still young now, all I can do is try to lay down the foundations of security and self esteem balanced with just enough discipline, give her some control over her own life without completely tossing my responsibility as a parent..... and hope it's enough..

I've never understood the skin/bones look. Kate Moss looks like she's got an intestinal disease. Very unhealthy, the exact opposite of sexy.

wolfeden said:

what gets me insane are the sites that proclaim "anorexia is a lifestyle not a disease"... it's a terrifying world to be sending my child into, you know?

:yes: Totally wrong and completely undermines the pain and suffering of people that actually have eating disorders.

I'm relieved by your concern b/c a girl in my building has the worst case of anorexia I have ever seen (and I've been into gymnastics since I was 8) and everytime I look at her, I feel like her parents should be charged with negligence and abuse. I pray that when/if I have a daughter of my own, I'll never become so blinded by denial as to let my own child starve.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm relieved by your concern b/c a girl in my building has the worst case of anorexia I have ever seen (and I've been into gymnastics since I was 8) and everytime I look at her, I feel like her parents should be charged with negligence and abuse. I pray that when/if I have a daughter of my own, I'll never become so blinded by denial as to let my own child starve.

You can make an anonymous phone call; your state's child protection services may be able to help her before it's too late. Her school should have picked up on this as well but these days you never know.

It's frightening all around.. some parents are in denial and some actually cheer the poor kid on, as others have mentioned happening to them.. some parents have so much badness going on in their own lives they can't see what's happening to their kids...

...or love their kids so much that they believe them when they say "if you take me to the doctor I'll run away and you'll never see me again"...got called to a 911 for a young girl, maybe 15, weighed less than my 5-y/o does now, in cardiac arrest from her eating disorder, while we were busting our asses her mother was shrieking that "she wouldn't let us bring her to the doctor, she wouldn't let us help her". that's been haunting me for years. that woman was so afraid of losing her child, that she ended up letting her slip through her fingers anyway..

If I ever do think I see the beginnings of an eating disorder in my child, she's going to sit down and have a long talk with my friend's brother Jesse who's been fighting the disease for several years now, who's had to have multiple hospitalizations for his blood chemistry approaching the same as that of the girl we got called to, the anemia and electrolytic imbalances that just suddenly make it impossible for your heart to pump, and in a breath you're gone...

...I hope he is still here, and happier in his own skin, by that time. I hope I never have to arrange this meeting. I hope that somehow society can turn some of this assault on our young people's self-images around... :|

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but looking over what this girl is eating, she's not exactly anorexic...I think she's looking for attention. She eats donuts, popcicles...popcorn....

She's a bit obsessed with what she's eating but anorexia no...

oh and her calorie counts are WAAAAAAAY off. A donut and a breakfast sandwich are far more than the calories she noted. I know...I've gone through 2 battles with anorexia and I wouldn't let anything more than a half of a cup of watermelon pass my lips in one day.

I should add that such obsession could lead to a true eating disorder. I hope she doesn't let it get that far.

wolfeden said:

You can make an anonymous phone call; your state's child protection services may be able to help her before it's too late. Her school should have picked up on this as well but these days you never know.

She's 20, or I would have 10 times over. :( Our school actually went so far as sending her home (kicking her out of the dorms even though she's like a 4.0 nursing student) for first semster. She came back even thinner.

I worry about her b/c obviously her mother is such a thick headed :censored: that she doesn't seem to notice her daughter looks like she stepped out of a time capsul from Auschwitz and her friends are too nice and non-confrontational to ever get in her face or her parents face about it. We had another girl with anorexia also on our floor this year and her parents shipped her off to a psych ward for two months. She came back happier and healthier and looked like a normal size woman.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
I've never understood the skin/bones look. Kate Moss looks like she's got an intestinal disease. Very unhealthy, the exact opposite of sexy.

You know, I think really it's WOMEN who drive the whole "thin is in" thing. I have yet to meet a man who is attracted to a skin and bones woman.

I'm confused cos I can't find any information at all on that site except an option to sign a guestbook...obviously m even more computer illiterate than I thought...

Back
Top Bottom