u2 cover bands are lame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
yes, thats right. all the pictures ive seen, all of what ive heard, it sounds to me like the biggest crock of shit ever.

that goes for all cover bands. dont get me wrong, i love it when bands do covers, but for bands to go out and "tour" as if they are u2 is just sickening.

why dont they come up with something original? i have very little respect for bands that live off of someone else who did all the work.

plus the pictures of them are unbelievably poor. dressing as the band members? what are we, in kindergarten?

not cool.

end of rant.

oh and i dont care what you think. sure, share what you feel, but this isnt even open to debate, at least at my end.

:down: agreed

I was waiting for someone to say this.

Why impersonate a living band?

I don't even like Elvis impersonators.

If a band can do a good job, and I don't see a reason not to, but everytime I've seen a band do a cover it's never worthy. U2 happens to be a band that's extremely difficult to repilcate, especailly Bono's vocals.

noone but bono can be bono. and i can live with that. but for people to "hit the road" and go on tour or play a bunch of public shows acting, playing and BEING u2 is stupid.

couldnt they just sit at home and read a catalogue or something?

i have no idea what that means.

:sexywink:

in less than 10 days ill have my new laptop.

suck on that, you wankers.

foray said:
aren't you in a radiohead cover band yourself?

foray

we played a cover of fake plastic trees for a month in my dads workshop. we attempted high and dry once. we did this at home, just us guys. we also did a couple of u2 songs. but, we wrote and played our own material for the most part.

me never once played in front of an audience, and we certainly did not tour. i think that answers your question.

yes, Unforgettable Fire is an incredible U2 tribute band worthy of the $8 cover. If you don't believe me, I have a futon for you to sleep on when you visit NYC.

I agree

Sure they may do a good job sometimes
and sure they may only play in a few bars

but as a musician I will never understand how anyone can get fulfillment from playing other people songs.
there's just something completely theaputic about writing and playing your own stuff.

Why spend all your time playing someone eles songs when you can reach for the ultimate musical pinnacle and create yourself?!?!?

Salome said:
basically what Basstrap is saying is that he enjoys playing with himself

in essence, yes

Salome lives between the lines

im glad you all agree. those who didnt, i didnt bother to read your explanations.

:sexywink:

Bear.
I dont agree w them either.
I dont consider u a "lame-o"...

Have you considered covering Barbara Striesand diities Bear?:sexywink:

DB9:sexywink:

Basstrap said:
but as a musician I will never understand how anyone can get fulfillment from playing other people songs.
there's just something completely theaputic about writing and playing your own stuff.
yes. i don't know if i'd say cover bands are pathetic or anything, but i just think it's kinda lame to only play other people's stuff. i know lots of bands (even U2!) started out like this, but that's the thing. they started out. i know UF has been together for at least 4 years, and i'd say they should be well past the "starting out" stage. i've heard clips of U2 cover bands playing. they're good. i just don't see how it'd be fulfilling to only be known as some imitator. i'd rather play a bunch of my stuff, with one or two U2 songs interspersed throughout my set. :D

just a point of view

I have been into U2 since the early 80's, about 20 years. In that time I have had the opportunity to see U2 twice...that's a long time between drinks. In that time I have had an opportunity to see a U2 tribute band, once. I enjoyed all three shows.

As to the question why do some musicians earn their living playing covers of classic songs?
My hub has the respect of a lot of the young up and coming musos around here. They admire his talent, they ask him for advice(to repair their amps, more like it). He has played covers for 30 years, originals too, but the small local venues want covers.

I remember one day well, this young fellow was hanging on his every word and got to the big question......"Why do you play music?" I was so looking forward to the answer , it could be insightful I was thinking...I should have known, hub was very tired that day..
His response?
"It beats shoveling shit at the abbatoir!!"

I was hoping for something a bit more philosophical, but there you have it! A choice! To each his own.
Of course a cover band isn't as good as U2, but they are better than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (pleeeeeeeeease don't tell me they do U2 songs...I bet they do, a version of ISHFWILF):no:

Hey look out 96 ( is that Agent 96?) I'll hug ya if you don't look out:macdevil: :lmao: oh hang on...you're not bothering to read this...in that case:censored:

Well I for one, see nothing wrong with U2 tribute bands, if they are done well....and it just so happens I am involved in a U2 tribute band that does U2 VERY well. Just ask diamond...he saw our band and couldn't WAIT to get onstage to sing NYD with Brady, even posting a pic of the event....but oh, yeah...he doesn't agree with them either. :huh:

The members of Elevation do NOT spend their whole life touring around as U2 (Even if they did though, as other cover bands probably do, if there is an audience for it, then why the hell not?), they all have day jobs and normal lives. I believe all of them have also had their own bands and original material.

What they DO enjoy doing is playing the music they love, brilliantly and with passion for people who love to hear it. For many of the people in the Toronto area who have never seen U2 live, this is the only way they can see "U2" live! For the rest of us, this is an excellent and fun way to go out for an evening and get the U2 live hit in between U2 tours. SO WHAT? I see nothing lame in this. It's no lamer than hanging out on a U2 message board all day, and I am as guilty of that as anyone else.

I think some of you really need to get off your high horses and lighten up!

:tsk: :sigh:

For the rec-
Im ok w U2Cover bands..:up:

Also for the rec-
I dont think Bear is a "lame-o" as Foray called him..

Oddly interesting yes..A "lame-o"-no;)

Also re coverbands..
I think they are ok as they pay homage to their idols and sooner or later should start incorprating there own material..this is what Creed did right?:sexywink:

DB9

Mrs. Edge said:

What they DO enjoy doing is playing the music they love, brilliantly and with passion for people who love to hear it. For many of the people in the Toronto area who have never seen U2 live, this is the only way they can see "U2" live! For the rest of us, this is an excellent and fun way to go out for an evening and get the U2 live hit in between U2 tours. SO WHAT? I see nothing lame in this. It's no lamer than hanging out on a U2 message board all day, and I am as guilty of that as anyone else.

I think some of you really need to get off your high horses and lighten up!

:tsk: :sigh:

I agree w this:up:
U2 Cover bands are a good way to get connected w the fanbase and bide your time between tours as well:)
And break up fights;)

DB9

Back
Top Bottom