U2 & Roger Clemens...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
i was checking out an article by Bill Simmons, aka The Sports Guy... writer for ESPN.com's Page2, ESPN Magazine & The Jimmy Kimmel Show...

The article was about Roger Clemens losing his 300th game, and how happy true red sox fans are about that fact. then he had a link to a previous article he wrote 2 years ago, titled "Is Roger Clemens really the Anti-Christ." This is an excerpt I pulled from that article...

Understandably, the Red Sox were dubious about signing him to another long-term deal, given that he A) was 34 years old; B) battled health problems in '93 and '95; and C) spent a sizable chunk of the past four years hibernating through his last mega-contract (this was the musical equivalent of U2 asking for a contract extension from their record company on the heels of "Zooropa" and "Pop").

ouch

i remember a peter gammons article on the espn site where he was saying how even every great makes a mistake, and he was listing greats and their mistake and he said "U2 made Pop."

Clemens=Satan

it's as simple as that. I read the sportsguy thing a minute ago, about how he wanted his hand to shatter & have him have stuck at 299 forever, and I was like "Wow, that's just how I felt!" And so did the rest of my family. We newenglanders are a bitter bunch. *shame* But at least we're not fat self-centred texan pitchers who'll sign with toronto just for the money, and then go to the yankees who are even more evil than anyone can describe. *anger in the extreme*

So ends my rant.

I don't see how Sox fans can be mad at Roger. It was their front office who didn't want him. Can't blame Clemens for joining Yanks and a chance to win a World Series.

Bbug said:
Clemens=Satan

it's as simple as that. I read the sportsguy thing a minute ago, about how he wanted his hand to shatter & have him have stuck at 299 forever, and I was like "Wow, that's just how I felt!" And so did the rest of my family. We newenglanders are a bitter bunch. *shame* But at least we're not fat self-centred texan pitchers who'll sign with toronto just for the money, and then go to the yankees who are even more evil than anyone can describe. *anger in the extreme*

So ends my rant.

Clemens is Darth Vader with a Texas accent :yes:

I wouldn't call Pop a mistake, but I :heart: the Sports Guy

Elvis Presley said:
did you see that huge 300 patch on Clemens glove in that game??

what an ass

Much agreed - what crap. :down:

note: I am a yankee fan...but I am tired of the Yankees. :yawn:

I watched the ninth inning last night on ESPN - and, although I was cheering for the Yankees to win (I really don't like the Red Sox), I hated the fact it seemed like the announcers were routing for the Yankees. And is it necessary to show the GM and owner's reaction to every pitch during the ninth inning?

Just broadcast the damn game! We do not "alternate" stories/drama to keep us entertained during a game. Don't play into the whole media attention.

Last edited:
Clark W. Griswold said:
I don't see how Sox fans can be mad at Roger. It was their front office who didn't want him. Can't blame Clemens for joining Yanks and a chance to win a World Series.

i think i can shed an unbiased light on this issue... i'm a mets fan who went to school in new england...

new england fans are nuts... they despise the yankees because they're everything that the red sox are not... winners. the red sox won their last world series in 1918. the following year, the red sox sell babe ruth to the new york yankees for $125,000 in cash and a $300,000 loan. the owner of the red sox at the time, harry frazee, uses this $425,000 to finance a Broadway play, ironicly in new york. the yankees would win their first world series 2 years later. ruth of course would go on to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players of all time. but that's not why red sox fans hate the yankees... the following chart might clear that up...
Word Series Championships Won Since the Ruth Trade

New York Yankees... 26
Boston Red Sox... 0

and the red sox don't just not win championships... they lose championships in the worst way one could think of...

-in 1946... the Red Sox lose the world series to the st. louis cardinals in game 7 after SS Johnny Pesky holds on to a relay throw, allowing the winning run to score.

-1967... the red sox lose to bob gibson 3 times in one 7 game series to lose the world series to the st. louis cardinals

-1975... Carlton Fisk hits a walk-off homerun in the botom of the 12th to send the world series vs. the reds to a 7th game (see good will hunting)... the sox go on to blow a 3 run lead in game 7 to lose the series

1978... The Red Sox blow a 14 game lead over the Yankees with two months to play... lsoing in an eventual 1 game playoff thanks to a late inning homerun by light-hitting bucky dent

1986... ahhhh game 6... the game all mets fans love, and all red sox fans refuse to mention... after 68 years, the red sox sit just one strike away from winning the world series. red sox fans everywhere are celebrating like they just won the world series. mets fans are sulking. keith hernandez and darryl strawberry are already drinking beers in the clubhouse, talking about next year. the scoreboard at shea stadium flashes the message "congrats to the 1986 world champions, the boston red sox." the game is all but over... then gary carter gets a 2 strike, 2 out blooper into the outfield. no big deal... sox are still up 2 runs with 2 outs... kevin mitchell gets a basehit into centerfield. up comes ray knight... pitcher calvin schiraldi again gets the mets down to their last strike... knight then singles one up the middle, bringing gary carter home, mitchell over to third. the red sox make a change, bringing in relief pitcher bob stanley. the drama is building, but the sox are still up 1 with 2 outs... up comes mookie wilson...
stanley works the count to 2 balls and 2 strikes... he tries to jam wilson with an inside fastball... the pitch was thrown too far inside and gets past catcher rich gedman for a wild pitch... mitchell races home to score the tying run. the sox are stunned, but not dead yet... still a tie game... i present to you the call by mets announcer bob murphy...
mookie wilson still trying to win it for new york. 3 and 2 the count... and the pitch by stanley... and a ground ball... trickling... it is a fair ball... GETS BY BUCKNER!!! GETS BY BUCKNER!!! KNIGHT IS ROUNDING THIRD AND THE METS WILL WIN!!! THEY WIN!!!

red sox would go on to take a 3-0 lead in game 7, only to blow that lead, and the series...

1988... the red sox trade for the orioles mike boddicker. they give up a light hitting centerfielder and a struggling rookie pitcher for him... brady anderson, who would become the first leadoff hitter in baseball history to hit 50 homeruns 8 years later, and curt schilling...
the red sox would also get swept in the ALCS that year by the oakland a's... former red sox pitcher dennis exkersley saves all 4 of those games...

1990... boston trades a young third baseman to the houston astros for relief pitcher larry anderson for the playoff stretch run. the red sox would end up getting swept in the playoffs by the a's, with roger clemens getting ejected in the 2nd inning of the 4th and final game. that third baseman that was deemed expendable due to the red sox having wade boggs?
a_bagwell_i.jpg

jeff bagwell... who would switch to firstbase, win a few gold gloves, and is a future hall of famer and probable member of the 500 homerun club...

1995... the red sox get swept in the divisional series after their 3 and 4 hitters, jose canseco and 1995 al mvp mo vaughn, go 0-27 in the series

1997... after 4 less than stellar seasons, roger clemens signs as a free agent with the toronto blue jays, where he would revert back to form and win two mroe cy young awards, including being the first pitcher since 1945 to lead the league in wins, era and strikeouts in the same season.

1999... roger clemens gets tired of losing in toronto and forces the blue jays into trading him to the new york yankees... the yankees, and clemens, beat the red sox in the alcs in 5 games... 2 of which ended with controversial calls by the umpires... the yankees would go on to win their 25th world series...

so i hope i've shed some light onto why boston fans despise roger clemens for going to the yankees...

oh... and as for why we Met fans hate roger clemens?
t1_piazza_ap_01.jpg
clemy102300.jpg

it's ok though... he thought that the piece of bat in his hand was a ball, and obviously from that picture you can see how he could confuse a 2 foot long shard of bat with a ball... i mean they look and feel so similar. and of course if a ball was hit at me, my first reaction would also be to turn and throw it in the general direction of the person who hit the ball, i.e. mike piazza, the same guy i purposely hit in the head 3 months earlier.
23teams.jpg

Last edited:
I've always thought it was hiLARRYous that Edge wore a Yankees T-shirt at a show in Providence, Rhode Island. That's BoSox country!
As for Roger, I've never considered him a True Yankee. He's a Yankee because he wanted a chance to win a WS ring, and he did, twice.

Back
Top Bottom