U2 and Blur - similarities...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pulle28

The Fly
I haven't always been a great fan of Blur. I recognise the Britpop era had a lot of impact in the beginning of the 90´s, but speaking from Denmark, there was a lot about songs like "Parklife" that just sounded too british. Not taking a discussion about national identity here, I just think that what Blur has turned into is much better than what it was in the beginning.
Especially the latest album (2003) "Think Tank".
And that's where, in my opinion, the're similarities with U2.
In some sense, there is something about Think Tank that makes me think about Achtung Baby. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's the experiments, maybe it's the sound and athmosphere.
Agree? Disagree?

Blur are criminally underated and despite the departure of the magnificent Coxon, churned out their equal best album (along with Parklife), Think Tank.

Since Modern Life is Rubbish Blur have been one of the best English bands around. I can only hope they one day put out another album, sans Coxon or otherwise.

think tank was a great surprise. when i heard about coxon's departure i thought blur would die, but instead of that they did what is one of their best albuns.
However i don't agree it's their achtung baby. They already had history in experimentation with the albuns blur (this one might be considered that because it was a turning point in their career) and 13.

I agree that they started experimenting before Think Tank. It's just that it seems like they have succeeded with these experiments more on TT - and that's what i find resembles AB.

The unfortunate thing about Blur is that they stopped making pop songs. Britpop is my favourite 'genre' of music, and there was no band (well, maybe Pulp) who made better pop songs than Blur. I think Damon is a bit too into his trancey, Gorillaz-esque vibe/dance/techno stuff now to really bring the classic Britpop melodies back to Blur, and it's hurting the band.

Coxon's new album, btw, is terrific.

'Parklife' is my favourite album ever.

Blur are (not were) one of the best bands around.

edit: Oh and I could care less for any similarities with U2. Really. Does 'Think Tank' give me an 'Achtung' vibe? Maybe, but only in the sense both are great albums.

Last edited:
pulle28 said:
I agree that they started experimenting before Think Tank. It's just that it seems like they have succeeded with these experiments more on TT - and that's what i find resembles AB.

To me Think Tank more resembles U2's Pop rather than AB. I have always thought that with the dance beats on TT.

It must also be remembered that Ben Hillier produced TT and he programmed some of the songs on Pop.

lots of people didn't like think tank. it's one of my favourite blur albums.

blur, indeed, does kick a lot of ass. :up:

Back
Top Bottom