Type of music you would consider torture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocknRollKitty

Acrobat
It's no secret, yes, of course I'm her alter
Suppose you were being tortured. What type of music do you consider so bad that it would do the job, and that you must turn off each time you hear it? What do you consider unbearable to listen to?

I pick Destiny's Child type stuff, bunch of girls moaning and whining over bunched up words with no tune. Worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

Country music
Contemporary R&B
Taylor Dayne
Eric Clapton's "My Father's Eyes"
Speed metal
Most trance music
Fall Out Boy-type music

:crack:

All that fucking american hiphop shit,
they're talking not singing!
There has to be a separate charts for that,
the Talking UH UH YEAH top 100

Does Coldplay count as a "type" of music?

:giggle:

sorry, just had to. but I'm really annoyed by all the artists with "breathy" vocals like Coldplay, John Mayer, DMB, etc.

As for worst genres, I'm torn between whiny white-boy NuMetal (Linkin Park, e.g.) and most modern R&B. Both genres have their exceptions but for the most part they just suck and reek of derivativeness.

Almost everything my roommate listens to...:|

As HelloAngel said earlier, it's Fall Out Boy type music. It sounds like a bunch of little boys whining about being adolescent. :crack:

Contemporary country is the most contrived and awful genre of music around. I get the full brunt of it living deep in the heart of Texas. It's formulaic, uninspired, and just plain boring. All the songs begin to sound the same after thirty minutes listening to the same station, which I have to do since every person who lives here listens to the shit.

I fucking hate country music.

Emo. It's the same thing over and over again - 'my heart's broken... roses.... so now I bleed.... more roses' etc etc. I can't stand those forced accents that emo bands seem to adopt, either. I'm just thankful that that sort of music hasn't become so mainstream here (yet).

Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson--I would rather listen to Celine Dion or Michael Bolton for hours than either one of them. Don't get me started on those talentless little #*@&s.

You'd really have to tie me to a chair to make me listen to country music.....especially people like Kenny Chimney or Gretchen Walton..... :D

Chad Kreuger/Nickleback/default/3doors down/T of a deadman etc..
New Stones Song (it's FUCKING terrible!)
Bon Jovi
Ashley Simpson, etc...
simple plan..and that band that sings the lifestyles of the rich and the famous song... etc...
Aerosmith (except dream on)
Diva type music and most R and B.. and those rappers who try to sound jamaican or whatever..
Hip Hop produced for the masses.. with remixes and pop beats and Beyonce singing every chorus(not good hip hop like NAS, and a few others)
Country.. the whole works of country is terrible (except some old Cash... George Jones.. Merle Haggard stuff I guess)
Avril Lavigne

sheesh. .. I'm sure I could think of more.. those came right off the top of my head.. and I take this seriously.. these songs really bother me.. I cannot listen to the radio :)

U2democrat said:
Almost everything my roommate listens to...:|

As HelloAngel said earlier, it's Fall Out Boy type music. It sounds like a bunch of little boys whining about being adolescent. :crack:
yeah, i can kinda agree with this

my roommate listens to some decent music (pink floyd, radiohead) but then he listens to this weird neo-jazz stuff, and some freaky band called "mindless self indulgence" that makes me want to stab my ear-drum with a ballpoint pen. i can't even turn my ipod up loud enough to make it go away.

really chaotic free jazz

mainstream hip hop

the kind of electronic rave shit my best friend listens to

ashley simpson

inmyplace13 said:
Contemporary country is the most contrived and awful genre of music around. I get the full brunt of it living deep in the heart of Texas. It's formulaic, uninspired, and just plain boring. All the songs begin to sound the same after thirty minutes listening to the same station, which I have to do since every person who lives here listens to the shit.

I fucking hate country music.

try watching cmt after midnight, they have some video show called "wide opne country" the other night they played loretta lynn with jack white, the jayhawks, and kathleen edwards. like you said, most contemporary country sucks, but there is some really good alt-country.

rap
hip hop
country
I've become immune to a majority of whiny boys singing
but I can't stand Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and all those poppunk-same-old-melody songs

and the majority of the mainstream stuff (in other words, songs that are brutally killed and slaughtered on the radio :huh: )

lazarus said:

As for worst genres, I'm torn between whiny white-boy NuMetal (Linkin Park, e.g.) and most modern R&B. Both genres have their exceptions but for the most part they just suck and reek of derivativeness.

Agreed. :up:

While it's pretty obvious why nu-metal sucks, it's amazing how much R&B changed in the mid 90s. Yes... I don't mind even early 90s Pop/R&B but the sound kinda changed with Destiny's Child and Janet Jackson's later stuff. I can't explain it. Weird.

As for bands.... SYSTEM OF A 'FUCKING' DOWN! I know there are SOAD fans here but I'm sorry, I can't stand that lead singer's babbling/yelling. :yuck:

Even Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit I can tolerate but not SOAD. Pure torture.

Last edited:
R&B, Country, Christian, Emo, death/speed metal, shitty pop from any era.

There are exceptions to every rule, of course. I'm not too keen on rap in general but I've kinda become immune to it and there is some I definitely like or even love (Outkast :drool: ).

Some bands I'd rather put my head in a blender that listen to:
Creed
Hoobastank ("The Reason" has got to be the worst song ever made)
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, ect.
Slipknot, Insane Clown Posse, ect.
Dave Matthews Band (most overrated band ever)
Macy Gray (probably the worst sounds I've heard in my life)

Mr. MIKEphisto, it's funny you said everything but Dream On for Aerosmith, because that's the only song I really love of theirs too, though Walk This Way is pretty good. Everything else I've heard is pretty bad.

I could list a lot of stuff, but I think the quickest way a torturer could break me would be by putting "La-La" by Ashlee Simpson on a continuous loop and playing it at top volume.

Last edited:
  • rap
  • hip hop
  • R&B
  • manufactured pop
  • that Japanese shit
  • every single kind of metal
  • pop punk
  • emo
  • 95% of everything on the radio today

Britney Spears. That :censored: cannot sing to save her life.

Ashley Simpson. Why oh why did they let her back on Saturday Night Live?

Most contemporary country music. Most country music, in fact.

and my all-time least favorite song: Muscrat Love by The Captain and Tennile. :sick:

No, wait: There is a worse Captain and Tennile song than Muscrat Love. It's one where they just recorded their bulldogs barking. It's so bad, I've blocked its title from my memory. :sick: :sick:

Last edited:
Papa Roach, my roomate was their backing guitar player for their last tour, I had to hear him practicing that shit OVER AND OVER.

Back
Top Bottom