Twatt, Shetland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Faraway, so close
Up with the static and the radio.
With an Internet connection
You can go anywhere:
Miami, Twatt, Shetland;
Melbourne, Belfast and New York.

And, if you listen, I might talk.
And, if you post, you just might fall.
And, if you share, we'll all know it.

If I could stay, then the night would run through fast.
Stay, and the time would fly on by.
Stay with the people online.
Stay with the forum we've found.
Stay, and the postcounts will go up.

Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet, just Axver around,
Just the bang and the clatter
As Interland runs along.
As Interland runs along.

Axver said:

It is more than safe to say you'll spot me first! :lol:

It's North Court, right? I'll text you if I can't see you or something. Do many people turn up?

Yeah it's North Court. It usually depends, but Skipping Girl Vinegar are fairly popular I think, so it should be reasonably busy.

major_panic said:
Faraway, so close
Up with the static and the radio.
With an Internet connection
You can go anywhere:
Miami, Twatt, Shetland;
Melbourne, Belfast and New York.

And, if you listen, I might talk.
And, if you post, you just might fall.
And, if you share, we'll all know it.

If I could stay, then the night would run through fast.
Stay, and the time would fly on by.
Stay with the people online.
Stay with the forum we've found.
Stay, and the postcounts will go up.

Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet, just Axver around,
As Interland runs along.
As Interland runs along.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fuckin' SuperWin.

Axver said:

I'm known for hating Radiohead and considering their only two good songs to be Electioneering (from OK Computer) and Idioteque (from ... fucked if I can remember).

Now that'd be a great album title, Fucked If I Can Remember. I'm currently finalising my Desert Island IV submission. It's currently So This Is Permanence, but maybe I should rename it Fucked If I Can Remember? :hmm:

Crap, when does that need to be uploaded by?

Man, mine's such a mess. Although that is part of the idea behind it. It's still a mess. The ending's awesome though.

major_panic said:

Yeah it's North Court. It usually depends, but Skipping Girl Vinegar are fairly popular I think, so it should be reasonably busy.

Ah, righto. I'm buggered looking for someone in a crowd! I'll probably text you when I'm nearby and see where you are.

Axver said:

Fuckin' SuperWin.

It was gonna be about how I was about to head off to sleep, then morphed into that. I'll have to find something else for me going to sleep now...

Just randomly:

Wandering, searching through the mists of memory
Stalking the halls where thoughts played and frolicked
Travelling down the spire where dreams now lie dormant
There, concealed, the realm of long-dead fantasy.

major_panic said:

Crap, when does that need to be uploaded by?

Man, mine's such a mess. Although that is part of the idea behind it. It's still a mess. The ending's awesome though.

Tomorrow! 1pm our time. I'm uploading mine overnight.

major_panic said:
Just randomly:

Wandering, searching through the mists of memory
Stalking the halls where thoughts played and frolicked
Travelling down the spire where dreams now lie dormant
There, concealed, the realm of long-dead fantasy.

That's pretty good. :up:

What's it from?

Axver said:
I'm known for hating Radiohead and considering their only two good songs to be Electioneering (from OK Computer) and Idioteque (from ... fucked if I can remember).

Now that'd be a great album title, Fucked If I Can Remember. I'm currently finalising my Desert Island IV submission. It's currently So This Is Permanence, but maybe I should rename it Fucked If I Can Remember? :hmm:
:lol:
"So This Is Permanence" sounds a lot more deep and profound :wink:

Idioteque's on Kid A... I've been listening to OK Computer a lot lately, and was just thinking that it has a bit of a Porcupiney vibe in places. :shrug:
Electioneering fucking rocks. :rockon:

Speaking of bands I don't think you're keen on; Exit segues VERY nicely into Tool's 10,000 Days (the song, not the whole album)... :drool:
(Plus I feel more comfortable with all the religious overtones when I can imagine it in the context of Exit - ie, completely twisted :evil: :wink: )

You wanted to get to sleep so badly
But you had to stay online for all the day.
You changed your name
Well that's okay, it's necessary
Because a real life's overrated anyway.

Goodbye, you can watch my postcount soar up high
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down.

'Cause I'm already gone
Felt that way all along.
Closer to it every day
I never had a real life anyway.

You're making posts that help you feel busy
Then you find your way to this thread.
You post your thoughts, you post your life
Then you discover
That everyone will just want more.

Goodbye, and it's no emotional
Goodnight, I'll be up with the sun.
Are you still holding on?
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down.

All right, I'm going to sleep now, good night - I'll be up with the sun!

Axver said:

That's pretty good. :up:

What's it from?

Thanks, it's from me actually, I wrote it yesterday in place of actually doing work. I think I might write some more poetry tomorrow between my tute and the concert.

Alisaura said:

:lol:
"So This Is Permanence" sounds a lot more deep and profound :wink:

:lol: Yeah. I lifted it from Joy Division's Twenty Four Hours, one of the central songs to the compilation. I really didn't have a clue what to call the thing until tonight. Its working title was The Telegram Regrets from Porcupine Tree's Synesthesia.

Idioteque's on Kid A... I've been listening to OK Computer a lot lately, and was just thinking that it has a bit of a Porcupiney vibe in places. :shrug:
Electioneering fucking rocks. :rockon:

Steven Wilson is a Radiohead fan. The song Pure Narcotic references them: "You keep me hating/You keep me listening to The Bends".

My main problem with Radiohead is that Thom Yorke's vocals are, to my ears, less appealling than the sound of three cats being strangled!

Speaking of bands I don't think you're keen on; Exit segues VERY nicely into Tool's 10,000 Days (the song, not the whole album)... :drool:
(Plus I feel more comfortable with all the religious overtones when I can imagine it in the context of Exit - ie, completely twisted :evil: :wink: )

I should try that sometime. I haven't heard anything from 10,000 Days at all. I like a few Tool songs but find their albums tend to blur into similarity.

major_panic said:
You wanted to get to sleep so badly
But you had to stay online for all the day.
You changed your name
Well that's okay, it's necessary
Because a real life's overrated anyway.

Goodbye, you can watch my postcount soar up high
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down.

'Cause I'm already gone
Felt that way all along.
Closer to it every day
I never had a real life anyway.

You're making posts that help you feel busy
Then you find your way to this thread.
You post your thoughts, you post your life
Then you discover
That everyone will just want more.

Goodbye, and it's no emotional
Goodnight, I'll be up with the sun.
Are you still holding on?
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down.

All right, I'm going to sleep now, good night - I'll be up with the sun!

Don't go - you're on fire even more than The Edge is!

major_panic said:

Thanks, it's from me actually, I wrote it yesterday in place of actually doing work. I think I might write some more poetry tomorrow between my tute and the concert.

Oh really? You've some skill there. And yeah, write some more, it's better than doing actual work. :wink:

I need to hurry the fuck up and start on that Terrorism assignment.

Anyway, see you tomorrow! :wave:

Unos dos tres catorce!

Net goes on, it’s bright
Interference is your head
Can’t rule your heart
A postcount so much stronger than
A life
Your eyes are wide
And though you'd sleep
You can't be stuffed
Your posts can climb up

Hello hello
I’m at a place called Out of Control
It’s everyone I wish I'd always known
And they all give me something I can feel, feel

The night is full of holes
As your posts rise up high
Some posts are gold
They twinkle as the
Boys play planes and trams
We know we lack a life
At least we know….

I can’t stand my work
I’m logging on the net
The beautiful blue crack
Has Ax and philly's rants
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Oh oh oh oh

Hello hello
I’m at a place called Out of Control
It’s everyone I wish I'd always known
And they all give me something I can feel, feel

Post whoring
Oh yeah
Hours of fun…

All of this, all of this can be yours

Just don't start no flames and no-one gets hurt….

Hello hello
We’re at a place called Out of Control
Net goes on and all I know
Is that you give me something

I can feel your posts teaching me how
Your posts are teaching me how, how to steal… steaaaaaalll

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah (yeah)!

Two thousand, four hundred posts, and good night!

Axver said:
:lol: Yeah. I lifted it from Joy Division's Twenty Four Hours, one of the central songs to the compilation. I really didn't have a clue what to call the thing until tonight. Its working title was The Telegram Regrets from Porcupine Tree's Synesthesia.
I got a couple of Joy Division albums for Xmas, but like Tool for you, a lot of the songs kinda blur together for me... I love Atmosphere though, and a few others.

I try to appreciate Joy Division and The Jam and The Clash and some of those other uber-influential punk-type bands... but a lot of it I just don't get. :shrug:

My main problem with Radiohead is that Thom Yorke's vocals are, to my ears, less appealling than the sound of three cats being strangled!
Well, if you dislike cats, that might be quite a pleasant sound... :wink:
(I like cats, don't get me wrong!)

I should try that sometime. I haven't heard anything from 10,000 Days at all. I like a few Tool songs but find their albums tend to blur into similarity.
Do you have the album? I can make a copy for you or upload it or something, if you like. I personally prefer Lateralus, but those albums do both have quite a similar feel. I don't know much of Tool's earlier work... I listened to Aenima once and kinda went :huh: and backed away slowly. :lol:

I think I need to make a CD of songs with thunder in them. :lol: It's probably the biggest cliche in music, but I still love it :D

Here's a sneak peek at my Desert Island tracklist through its cover and a quote.

SoThisIsPermanence.png

You're the last man. Your kind is extinct. You are outside history. You unexist.

major_panic said:
We know we lack a life
At least we know….

:lmao: x17 at the whole thing, but especially that.

Brilliance, Maj. :up:

G'night! :wave:

Axver said:
Here's a sneak peek at my Desert Island tracklist through its cover and a quote.

SoThisIsPermanence.png

You're the last man. Your kind is extinct. You are outside history. You unexist.
Cool...

Last man... any women left? :wink:
(I guess your kind wouldn't be extinct otherwise. :der: )

*tries to marry the concept of permanence with being the last human alive* :scratch:

Eh, I'm tired. Brain no worky.

Alisaura said:

I got a couple of Joy Division albums for Xmas, but like Tool for you, a lot of the songs kinda blur together for me... I love Atmosphere though, and a few others.

I try to appreciate Joy Division and The Jam and The Clash and some of those other uber-influential punk-type bands... but a lot of it I just don't get. :shrug:

Which Joy Division albums did you get? I'm a bit of a Joy Division heretic in that I think Closer isn't all that (I usually only play Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours). I absolutely adore Unknown Pleasures though. Disorder, New Dawn Fades, and She's Lost Control are all kinds of brilliant.

As for the others you mention - I haven't listened to The Jam, and I like some songs by The Clash but the only full album I've heard is London Calling, which I think has far too many unnecessary tracks.

Well, if you dislike cats, that might be quite a pleasant sound... :wink:
(I like cats, don't get me wrong!)

:lol: OK, how about nails on a chalkboard then? :wink:

Do you have the album? I can make a copy for you or upload it or something, if you like. I personally prefer Lateralus, but those albums do both have quite a similar feel. I don't know much of Tool's earlier work... I listened to Aenima once and kinda went :huh: and backed away slowly. :lol:

I think I need to make a CD of songs with thunder in them. :lol: It's probably the biggest cliche in music, but I still love it :D

Lateralus is the one album I have. It rather failed to motivate me to get more, but as far as individual songs I've downloaded go, I recall enjoying Aenima, Forty-six And Two, and Schism. Can't remember what albums they're from though. I meant to check out 10,000 Days but never got around to it - I suppose I should! I'd like to hear it. :)

And I need to get more PT stuff to you. Would a data CD work well?

Alisaura said:

Cool...

Last man... any women left? :wink:
(I guess your kind wouldn't be extinct otherwise. :der: )

*tries to marry the concept of permanence with being the last human alive* :scratch:

Eh, I'm tired. Brain no worky.

This is without doubt going to be the bleakest playlist in the whole tournament, and almost certainly the least popular!

The quote is from a movie adaptation of Orwell's 1984. It's a sample at the end of Our Illuminated Tomb by Sculptured, my third last track. The final three tracks are the first three I actually put together when making the playlist and I think it's one of the best trios I've ever made:

Sculptured: Our Illuminated Tomb
The Cure: Untitled
Porcupine Tree: Collapse The Light Into Earth

Axver said:
Which Joy Division albums did you get? I'm a bit of a Joy Division heretic in that I think Closer isn't all that (I usually only play Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours).
Closer and Permanent... I think Permanent is a Best-Of or something, it seems to share a lot of tracks with Closer.

As for the others you mention - I haven't listened to The Jam, and I like some songs by The Clash but the only full album I've heard is London Calling, which I think has far too many unnecessary tracks.
I've only got best-ofs of The Jam and The Clash... The Jam didn't really have any stand-out tracks that I can think of off the top of my head. :scratch:

:lol: OK, how about nails on a chalkboard then? :wink:
Aaaaack!! :yikes: Okay, you win... *shudder*

Lateralus is the one album I have. It rather failed to motivate me to get more, but as far as individual songs I've downloaded go, I recall enjoying Aenima, Forty-six And Two, and Schism. Can't remember what albums they're from though. I meant to check out 10,000 Days but never got around to it - I suppose I should! I'd like to hear it. :)
Schism is on Lateralus, Aenima is (I hope!) on Aenima, and I have no idea about the other one. :wink:
Righto... I'll sort something out soon...

And I need to get more PT stuff to you. Would a data CD work well?
Yep, that's fine... geez, how much were you planning on giving me?? Not that I'll say no to free music :D

Dammit, I gotta go. Must remember that in order to actually GET to bed early, just thinking about it isn't enough :lol:

It'll take me at least half an hour for my brain to slow down... :|

Seeya :wave:

Alisaura said:
Closer and Permanent... I think Permanent is a Best-Of or something, it seems to share a lot of tracks with Closer.

I've only got best-ofs of The Jam and The Clash... The Jam didn't really have any stand-out tracks that I can think of off the top of my head. :scratch:

Ah, right. I don't have Permanent; I just looked up the tracklisting and there's some ... interesting choices. Novelty?! Something Must Break?! Oookay. If you like She's Lost Control, Day Of The Lords, and Shadowplay, then Unknown Pleasures would be worth it.

I think Liam's used The Jam in a Desert Island tracklist or two, but I can't really remember now. Meh. As far as post-punk goes, I think the one band everybody needs to hear but rarely does is The Chameleons. Don't Fall is one of the greatest album openers ever. Hell, all of Script Of The Bridge is incredible.

Schism is on Lateralus, Aenima is (I hope!) on Aenima, and I have no idea about the other one. :wink:
Righto... I'll sort something out soon...

Ah, right. Cool, thanks. :up:

Yep, that's fine... geez, how much were you planning on giving me?? Not that I'll say no to free music :D

:lol: I'm just running low on CDs and I figured I'd at least do the ones for you that I did for Melissa, but on a single data disc, and I imagine I should be able to fit some more stuff on too.

Dammit, I gotta go. Must remember that in order to actually GET to bed early, just thinking about it isn't enough :lol:

It'll take me at least half an hour for my brain to slow down... :|

Seeya :wave:

:lol: Yeah, I'm thinking about turning in early and doing some reading too. But not reading for pleasure - reading for uni. Woooo.

G'night! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom