Twatt, Shetland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heh now i went into WTAHNN and wow, good stuff in a thread called "Will Lanois and Eno OVER-PRODUCE?"

Rob33 said:

..........hmmm, I think you two have covered almost everything relating to the new album, well done :up:

wow....this poor thread never really even had a chance to take flight.....:sad:

Screwtape2 said:
What do the Royal Historical Society have you doing?

I'm producing a booklet to accompany their exhibition. Which means I'm going to be doing a shitload of writing over the coming month. Wheee stress.

Varitek said:
heh now i went into WTAHNN and wow, good stuff in a thread called "Will Lanois and Eno OVER-PRODUCE?"

I don't think you can over produce a record to be honest. I think by the very definition production implies touch and art while creating a peice with the artist. If an album sucks like Bomb it isn't a matter of over-production but rather a lack of production. Does that make sense?

coolian2 said:
I like U2387's reply to Daltons thread in WTAHNN

I can't even read three lines of that mess before my eyes just give up.

Screwtape2 said:

I don't think you can over produce a record to be honest. I think by the very definition production implies touch and art while creating a peice with the artist. If an album sucks like Bomb it isn't a matter of over-production but rather a lack of production. Does that make sense?

What about something like Stuck In A Moment? I think that's a great example of over-production - it's produced so much to be slick, radio-friendly, fluffy pop and whatever meaningfulness the song had is killed under the layers of production.

coolian2 said:

It's what i'm calling the Kunstmuseum syndrome, if it's presented seriously damn near everyone will believe it.

:lol:

It makes me wonder what is the most ridiculous idea we can sell to people here.

Axver said:

What about something like Stuck In A Moment? I think that's a great example of over-production - it's produced so much to be slick, radio-friendly, fluffy pop and whatever meaningfulness the song had is killed under the layers of production.

But see production is about the manipulation of sound. It is an art that can get killed in the mix which Stuck was but that means the producer wasn't in fact producing effectly. Over-production implies that some was too good in a mix. That is simply not possible.

I've just eaten an ant-free creme egg and I feel my blood pressure is now dropping from my earlier issues with n00bie.

Oh wow, the current round of Survivor is really hard. True proof that a lot of U2's best material is not on their albums.

Axver said:
I'm producing a booklet to accompany their exhibition. Which means I'm going to be doing a shitload of writing over the coming month. Wheee stress.
Are you going to insert subliminal messages about trains?

Axver said:
The acoustic version makes me mad. I love it and it sounds so much better than the album version. But they left out my favourite line :mad: "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you" I :love: that line.

Sweet insults for the win :up: My favourite though is this one:

'While you were sleeping I was listening to the radio and wondering what you're dreaming when it came to mind that I didn't care" From 'Rest Stop' by Matchbox Twenty.

Screwtape2 said:

But see production is about the manipulation of sound. It is an art that can get killed in the mix which Stuck was but that means the producer wasn't in fact producing effectly. Over-production implies that some was too good in a mix. That is simply not possible.

I'm not so sure I agree. To use the Stuck example, compare the produced studio version to a raw and unproduced live version. Without production, the song at least seems to have some sincerity, especially the 2005-06 performances. But the studio version, it's just completely over-produced - i.e. too much is done to it and it loses its sincerity.

I suspect we might be using 'over-production' to mean somewhat different things though.

Screwtape2 said:

I think most people define over-production as trying to hard to manipulate a sound that would make more sense in a simpler form. I personally think that makes sense, and that Stuck in a Moment is a good example of that. Most of Achtung Baby, I think, is also a good example of that.

Dalton said:

Why/how people take my posts seriously I will never know.

they are noobs

but why anyone would take that thread seriously is beyond me, it was obviously mocking the other dumb ones. except people take those seriously too.

Axver said:

I'm not so sure I agree. To use the Stuck example, compare the produced studio version to a raw and unproduced live version. Without production, the song at least seems to have some sincerity, especially the 2005-06 performances. But the studio version, it's just completely over-produced - i.e. too much is done to it and it loses its sincerity.

I suspect we might be using 'over-production' to mean somewhat different things though.

Yes, we are looking at over-production as two different things. I think when you do too much to a track it is a lack of production in the same way in a movie that is overdone is considered a lack of direction.

Screwtape2 said:

An album made out of their b-sides would be one of the best albums ever. :drool:

My b-sides collection - which doesn't even include some of my favourite b-sides, just those from the early/mid eighties not on the Best Of B-sides - is my third favourite U2 disc, behind UF and JT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom