Turkish reflection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Here's a story for you. It was such an eerie feeling riding on a tourbus through the Turkish countryside listening to "Blowing in the Wind". We were in a place where there have been 20 civilizations in 5,000 years, we were surrounded by antiquities, medieval mosques, etc, etc, and the juxtaposition of the modern protest song was just really eerie.

verte76 said:
Here's a story for you. It was such an eerie feeling riding on a tourbus through the Turkish countryside listening to "Blowing in the Wind". We were in a place where there have been 20 civilizations in 5,000 years, we were surrounded by antiquities, medieval mosques, etc, etc, and the juxtaposition of the modern protest song was just really eerie.

Isn't it an odd feeling?

I had a sort-of-similar experience, hiking down Mt. Kilimanjaro. We passed this hut in the countryside and there were a bunch of guys drinking banana beer, listening to Outkast's 'I Like The Way You Move' on full volume. Good times!

It sounds like you had an awesome time in Tukey! I'm so happy you finally got your dream vacation. It's evident from your posts how much it means to you :hug:

Me too!!

I love to hear about your trip too.... Especially about Turkey! :cute:

I can imagine you had that eerie feeling, I had that a couple of times as well when I went on holiday to places with 'archaeological' surroundings to them, and then just hearing modern songs... It's weird :uhoh:

Here's another one. The last night I was in Turkey, I was in Istanbul. I was eating a great dinner on a patio with a great view of the Bosphorus. It was heavenly! There was a mosque a block up the street from the hotel. Between the mosque and the hotel was a disco. That night loud rock music blared from the disco. It was strange, looking at the mosque, looking pretty with lights, and hearing Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing".

as a teenager i had a similar experience in New Mexico. there were a few locals sitting around the tents where we stayed at. it was a really neat visual watching the sun go down that night. the whole evening had this "voodoo air" about it. i would love to experience that again.

Back
Top Bottom