Tsunami Warning in Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This just happened a minute ago. . . i was watching the basketball game and this terrible weather warning comes up. The voice says that there was an earthquake 90 miles off-shore and it might have generated a tsunami. . .

weird :huh:

The U.S. Geological Survey issued a tsunami alert tonight for the West Coast from Alaska to the Mexican border following a 7.4 earthquake that struck 90 miles northwest of Eureka, Calif.

While the agency is not predicting a tsunami, it is warning those in low-lying areas along the coast to be alert for emergency warnings from local officials.

If a tsunami is generated, it is predicted to hit Crescent City, Calif., first at 8:29 p.m., followed minutes later in Charleston, Ore., and at 9:23 in San Francisco. The arrival time in the Los Angeles Harbor area of San Pedro is set for 10 p.m. and in La Jolla at 10:14 p.m.

The quake occurred at 7:50 p.m. Pacific time 83 miles west of Trinidad, Calif. The depth of the quake was estimated at 25 miles.

"It is not known – repeat not known – if a tsunami exists but a tsunami may have been generated," warned the USGS.

The service said a series of waves could be generated making it dangerous in beach areas for several hours.

So far, they don't know if a tsunami exists. :yikes:

i bet it would be a sight to see!

It's not hard, not hard to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach
Rock-Rock, Rockaway Beach!

7.4, that's pretty strong but not as high as the one in Asia I guess... :shrug: ... that triggered the monster tsunami.

discothequeLP said:
how could there be an earthquake out there at sea when there are no plates that meet out there? it seems strange

There are subduction zones.

Where the Earth eats itself.

Back
Top Bottom