Tsunami Warning in Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Thank God *referring to Diemen's post*.

So a minor earthquake shook Palm Springs over the weekend, an earthquake hit Chile today and an earthquake was off the West Coast today. :crazy: I don't like the looks of this.

I was thinking the same thing (to both comments).........kind of alarming all these quakes coming in a cluster

[q]Tsunami Warning Issued After Calif. Quake

1 minute ago

CRESCENT CITY, Calif. - A major earthquake struck Tuesday night about 80 miles off the coast of northern California, prompting a tsunami warning along the Pacific coast.

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at about 7:50 p.m. southwest of the coastal community of Crescent City, according to the
U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

A tsunami warning was in effect from the California-Mexico border north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

KCBS radio reported that residents were being evacuated from low-lying areas of Crescent City, which was struck by a tsunami after an earthquake four decades ago.

Stuart Weinstein, a geologist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said that if a tsunami were generated, it would not be as strong as the Dec. 26 killer wave in the Indian Ocean.

"We're not expecting anything huge from an event this size," added Charles McCreery, the center's director.

Scientists were waiting for signs of any powerful ocean waves to reach tide gauges placed up and down the West Coast, Weinstein said.

"We're monitoring our sea gauges pretty carefully," he said.

In the spring of 1963, a magnitude-8.4 quake in Alaska generated tsunamis that caused damage there and in British Columbia, and in the states of Washington, California and Hawaii. More than 120 died.

Hardest hit was Crescent City, where 11 people were killed after waves reaching as much as 20 feet destroyed half of the waterfront business district.
[/q]

Witnesses felt buildings shaking along the California coast but there were no immediate reports of damage.

A tsunami warning was briefly in effect from the California-Mexico border north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, but was called off about an hour after the quake hit.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration runs the warning system, which includes 25 other countries with Pacific coastlines.

Crescent City was the site of the only known tsunami to cause deaths in the continental United States. Eleven people died and 29 city blocks were washed away when a tsunami spawned by a quake hit Crescent City in 1964.

Calif. Post-Quake Tsunami Warning Canceled 1 minute ago

CRESCENT CITY, Calif. - A major earthquake struck about 80 miles off the coast of northern California on Tuesday night, briefly prompting a tsunami warning along the Pacific coast.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at about 7:50 p.m. southwest of the coastal community of Crescent City and 300 miles northwest of San Francisco, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

Witnesses felt buildings shaking along the California coast but there were no immediate reports of damage.

A tsunami warning was briefly in effect from the California-Mexico border north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, but was called off about an hour after the quake hit.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration runs the warning system, which includes 25 other countries with Pacific coastlines.

Crescent City was the site of the only known tsunami to cause deaths in the continental United States. Eleven people died and 29 city blocks were washed away when a tsunami spawned by a quake hit Crescent City in 1964.

Well I guess I'll get back to 'The Worlds Deadliest Catch'

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
how could there be an earthquake out there at sea when there are no plates that meet out there? it seems strange

The local seismologist explained that the quake occurred on a slide fault where the two plates actually lay atop each other and move side to side...no up and down and that's why there was no significant wave activity....

boy, I sounded smart! :wink:

All is well folks....:)

discothequeLP said:

It's not hard, not hard to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach
Rock-Rock, Rockaway Beach!

First of all...
The panic attack that the warning induced in me is astronamical.
Secondly...

You quoted the Ramones.
Therefore we must marry

*shotgun

We're about 45 miles inland from the Los Angeles county coastline; about 25 miles inland from the OC coastline...we had just left dinner with our recent graduate when we heard the news alert...

it was on an inde-radio station so we thought it was a gag until we got home and it was all over the TV....that could have been bad if it was the real deal!

:yikes:

Mr. BAW said:
We're about 45 miles inland from the Los Angeles county coastline; about 25 miles inland from the OC coastline...we had just left dinner with our recent graduate when we heard the news alert...

it was on an inde-radio station so we thought it was a gag until we got home and it was all over the TV....that could have been bad if it was the real deal!

:yikes:

haha, yeah indie 1031 does play some crazy shit sometimes

A tsunami! How scary! That would scare me more than a hurricane would. And hurricanes scare me to death.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom