True Punk Rock From Venus - Loveless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
While I love HTDAAB (I think the reviews from fans here are overly harsh) - I do not agree with Bono that it sounds like "punk rock from Venus." It is simply a pop-rock masterpiece that will stand the test of time...mark my words.

I've been listening to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" a lot lately. There is just something about the late 80's and early 90's "shoegazer" rock that doesn't get old. You can definitely tell that Achtung Baby was born out of this style.

MBV's "Loveless" is the second best record of the 90's - following AB of course. I'm not on my own here, many critics put this album in their top 10-20 of the nineties.

Anyway, while I was listening to it a few days back, I thought to myself - THIS is actually what punk rock from Venus sounds like!

For those of you here who are old enough to remember Loveless - Do you agree?

bono's an idiot. but i don't believe i'd ever define my bloody valentine as punk rock, from any planet.

bollox said:
overrated + underproduced

I can accept overrated. But there is no way you can say Loveless is under produced. Shields spent over 4 years working on it. It is considered by many (including Eno) to be a landmark in production.

yes, from what i've heard about shields, he was quite the studio perfectionist. and yes, some of the guitar sounds/textures on the album are amazing. when i can actually HEAR them that is. maybe underproduced was the wrong term, maybe it's the mixing, because EVERYTHING just sounds like it's buried in the mix. i guess that's how it's supposed to sound, but it seems to me like the album is in need of remastering or something.

Did you know that My Bloody Valentine was actually an inspiration for Bono and Edge in the early 90's and was an influence on them when recording Achtung Baby.

I'd love to see MBV go back and make some records. I really think that rock is ready for another injection of creativity. Ever since ATYCLB, there has been a resurgence of rock...but if I here Nickelback again I swear I may just go insane...

Back
Top Bottom