Trivia Question: Gretzky Led The 80s. Who Scored The Most Points In The 90s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who Scored The Most Points In The 90s?

• Lemieux

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Jagr

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sakic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gretzky

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Bure

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Hull

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Leclair

• Lindros

• Other

• Total voters

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We all know who scored the most points in the 1980s. Obviously, it was Gretzky. The leading scorer of the 1990s may or may not be so obvious to you. I'll tell you the answer in the near future. Any guesses?

i think , i know the answer

1st ( 66%) - " Le Magnifique " ..!!!??

:wave: :wave:

or ( 17% ) Russian rocket .....

or (17%) Jaromir Jagr -
these 3 have big chances

ooh this is a toughie. I have been way out of hockey lately, but I am wracking my brain nonetheless.

you can cross LeClair and Lindros off that list. I remember Hull getting I think something thousand career points I believe this past year. But I think I will go with Gretzky just because it's you posting it Michael Griffiths and you'd post it if the answer was Gretzky :D

there ya go. happy now??? ;)

Im used to not voting cos AOL wouldnt let me do the polls, but I forgot I am not on AOL. so, is Gretzky the answer?? :D

there are some good players on that list, and though i wish it was bure, i am 100% sure it is jagr.

he is my least favorite player in the whole realm of the sports entertainment world.

Lemieux had a couple of monster years over 160 pts, couple others over 120 pts, but he missed a lot of action with injuries/illness and didn't play obviously for a couple of seasons

his pts. per game average was easily #1 in the 90s

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:
Lemieux had a couple of monster years over 160 pts, couple others over 120 pts, but he missed a lot of action with injuries/illness and didn't play obviously for a couple of seasons

his pts. per game average was easily #1 in the 90s
Well, aren't you going to vote? :sexywink:

Blue_Angel said:
damn it, tell us already Michael!!!

:sexywink:
If you hand me a calculator, I'll be happy to give you an answer right now, if you like. If you can't do that (I'm guessing it would be quite difficult with the limitations of technology so far), I will have to give you an answer tomorrow morning. (I have to get off the computer now!) Seriously, tomorrow I will give the answer. I want to give the top 3, you see, and in order to do so I need a calculator!! I know who #1 is, though. :sexywink:

haha!! ok I'll let it slide this time ;)

I'll be back in the morning too to read the rest of your Gretzky article, I just read half but I really need to sleep. Did I ever tell you I had a crush on Gretzky? for about 6 months, it was really sad. But I was 14 so I don't think it counts :D

Blue_Angel said:
haha!! ok I'll let it slide this time ;)

I'll be back in the morning too to read the rest of your Gretzky article, I just read half but I really need to sleep. Did I ever tell you I had a crush on Gretzky? for about 6 months, it was really sad. But I was 14 so I don't think it counts :D
hahahahahaha~~hahahahaha!!!! That's kinda' cute.

want me to fed ex you a calculator or something?? or I could add it up for you instead of writing the paper i have to write ;)

I still can't believe that, now, 188 people have checked out this question, but only 14 of you have voted!!! What's up with that? :huh:

Well, it is time to view the results of my calculation - yes Blue_Angel, I found my calculator! ;)

I think it deserves a post unto its own, though...

Answer To The Gretzky Trivia Question

First, I must say I surprised even myself by doing the research to find out the top scorers of the 1990s. So much so, in fact, that the one player who I thought would be second (Jagr) was actually behind FOUR other players!! And the player I thought would be third (Lemieux) was actualy behind SEVEN other players!

The decade of the 90s consisted of the '89-90 season up to and including the '98-99 season.

Before I list the top scorers of the 1990s, let's just take a moment to recognize the leading scorer of the 1980s: #99, Wayne Gretzky...

During the 1980s, he scored a mind boggling total of 1837 points, including 637 goals and 1200 assists in 10 seasons. He averaged 2.37 points a game - again, over ten seasons. In an 82 game season, that's an average of over 194 points per season for TEN SEASONS! Obviously, he didn't play every game, so - in actual fact - he "only" averaged just over 183 points per season. Totals that most likely will never be aproached, let alone topped. Simply amazing.

So, here's what you've been waiting for...

The Top Points Scorers Of The 1990s:

1. Wayne Gretzky: 1020 points
2. Adam Oates: 927 points
3. Joe Sakic: 917 points
4. Brett Hull: 896 points
5. Jaromir Jagr: 862 points
6. Ron Francis: 842 points
7. Mark Messier: 819 points
8. Mario Lemieux: 779 points

Wayne Gretzky didn't dominate the 90s the way he did the 80s; that much is clear. However, what this also shows is that Gretzky was one of the best offensive players of the 90s - a fact that is lost on many people who said he "sucked" ever since he left Edmonton. Leading the NHL in scoring for not just one, but two (straight) decades isn't too bad for a guy who "sucks". Especially if that guy has a body that has no business being in the NHL. During the 90s, Gretzky won three scoring titles (compared to seven in the 80s), but was obviously still a force. Even in his third last and second last seasons with the NY Rangers, he was still in the top 4 in league scoring, leading the NHL in assists each year - and he was in his late 30s! I could go on (and on and on), but I'll shut up now. I'll just let his 61 records speak for themselves! ;)[/B]

So there you go! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom