Trivia Question: Gretzky Led The 80s. Who Scored The Most Points In The 90s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who Scored The Most Points In The 90s?

• Lemieux

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Jagr

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sakic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gretzky

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Bure

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Hull

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Leclair

• Lindros

• Other

• Total voters
Michael Griffiths said:
I could go on (and on and on), but I'll shut up now.

yes, you really could! ;)

wow I am kinda shocked at Oates being second, I mean I knew he had a lotta points, but...and I didn't think it would be Gretzky either!! He is truly untouchable. As you said, what he did with what he was given in terms of size and strength is just amazing. And it's easy to lose sight of how great he was throughout his entire career just because it was overshadowed by what he did in the 80s. Thanks for reminding us, Michael! ;)

:)

Blue_Angel said:

yes, you really could! ;)

wow I am kinda shocked at Oates being second, I mean I knew he had a lotta points, but...and I didn't think it would be Gretzky either!! He is truly untouchable. As you said, what he did with what he was given in terms of size and strength is just amazing. And it's easy to lose sight of how great he was throughout his entire career just because it was overshadowed by what he did in the 80s. Thanks for reminding us, Michael! ;)

:)
I'm glad you enjoyed it Blue_Angel! Yes, it is quite interesting that even though Gretzky was still amazing in the 90s, people kind of ignored that. I actually see a lot of similarities between the public opinion of Gretzky of the 80s vs the 90s as I do with the public opinion of the U2 of the 80s vs the 90s. Both the hockey player and the band have been living in the shadow that either they or the public (or both) have manifested from the decade that preceeded the 90s. Both the player and the band completely dominated the 80s, in their own professions. And both the player and the band did well in the 90s, but were constantly compared to their former selves - and in the eyes of the public, never measuring up. If you take away the 80s, for the both player and the band, you have a player and band who are still the best in the business, but don't have the mythological quality (the untouchable aspect that can only come from another time and place) that seemed to make them legends in the first place. Of course, what people fail to realize is that when you witness someone or something in the present, there is no mythology. It's a bit of a paradox. Why am I talking about this? Sorry, a bit of a tangent. Anyway, interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Re: Wher's my prize?

Hewson said:
How did you know? (hee hee) Well, consider yourself to be one touched by Gretzky's greatness. That is your prize. To be one of the lucky ones who actually realized something true. I was going to offer you a trip to Disneyland, and two tickets to see the Kings, but that just wouldn't come close to the aformentioned prize. ;)

You left off Luc Robitaille!

783 points

89-90...101
90-91...91
91-92...107
92-93...125
93-94...86
94-95...42
95-96...69
96-97...48
97-98...40
98-99...74

U2fan42 said:
You left off Luc Robitaille!

783 points

89-90...101
90-91...91
91-92...107
92-93...125
93-94...86
94-95...42
95-96...69
96-97...48
97-98...40
98-99...74
Yeah, but that's cause he's simply "Lucky" ;)

Seriously, that was a blunder on my part. I think I actually may have left off Yzerman and Forsberg, too, but I'm too lazy to check! Could you check for me? (Yes, very lazy.) Wow, this might actually end up pushing Mario out of the top 10 - something that would really shock a lot of people, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom