Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art

First off, I don't mean to offend anyone in or who likes tribute bands.

That said I think tribute bands are the opposite of what real artists stand for. Musicians create original music that should inspire others to create their own. The point of making art is to express your humanity. Tribute bands don't play their own music and dress up like real artists. As I see it, that is against the point of art and since Musicians play to express themselves it is against what artists stand for. Tribute bands are the enemies of art and those they mimic. They should play their own music not someone elses. That is how I feel about tribute bands.

Do you agree or disagree?
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:11 AM
I think it's harsh to call them enemies of art. It depends on how serious you want to get with the term, Art. Art to me is part Entertainment as well. And tribute bands are a great fun way to experience your favorite music front and center without the rush for tickets in crowded areans and stadiums. Sure, nothing like the real thing but... I see tribute band shows as a really fun night out, nothing more.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I think it's harsh to call them enemies of art. It depends on how serious you want to get with the term, Art. Art to me is part Entertainment as well. And tribute bands are a great fun way to experience your favorite music front and center without the rush for tickets in crowded areans and stadiums. Sure, nothing like the real thing but... I see tribute band shows as a really fun night out, nothing more.
I think art implies that you are creating something. Tribute bands don't create anything and in turn they stop the natural cycle of art by not creating more art as a response to what inspires them. So I think it is fair to call them enemies of art.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Well, then tribute bands don't fall under Art at all. They fall under Entertainment/Nightlife.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 03:11 AM
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I think art implies that you are creating something. Tribute bands don't create anything and in turn they stop the natural cycle of art by not creating more art as a response to what inspires them. So I think it is fair to call them enemies of art.
Most classical musicians (say those playing in symphonies) often do not play their own music, but I certainly would classify them as artists. Without them the music dies. They are necessary to bring the music to life and therefore are most certainly artists.

I'm not a big fan of tribute bands though, especially those of existing bands, just because if I'm going to make the effort to go see a band I want it to be the original band if possible. I do realise others go out more often and really enjoy tribute bands though, and I don't have a problem with that. I don't think tribute bands really take anything away from bands who do their own original music because I think they cater to a different group of people.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 01:11 AM
Tribute bands are nothing more than cover bands taken to the next level.

A fun night out listening to some live music and having a few beers.

Nothing more, certainly NOT an enemy of art.
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Enemy is not the right word at all.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Most classical musicians (say those playing in symphonies) often do not play their own music, but I certainly would classify them as artists. Without them the music dies. They are necessary to bring the music to life and therefore are most certainly artists.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Enemy is not the right word at all.
What word would you use?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
What word would you use?
I'm not saying me. I'm saying for your argument. I think you're wrong anyway, but even if I agreed with your core argument, "enemy" is not what you mean. You mean "Tribute bands are not artists." Simple, like that. Enemy implies much stronger connotations, as if tribute bands had some kind of aggression against art, which is not what you are trying to say.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Most classical musicians (say those playing in symphonies) often do not play their own music, but I certainly would classify them as artists. Without them the music dies. They are necessary to bring the music to life and therefore are most certainly artists.
That's an interesting point. Personally I think art means you have created something new. They preserve art but are they really creating something new? I wouldn't call them artists at all. At least though they don't try to be like the composer, dress and look like the original artists. That's the part that scares me about tribute bands. Do they have an identity out of living someone else's life?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm not saying me. I'm saying for your argument. I think you're wrong anyway, but even if I agreed with your core argument, "enemy" is not what you mean. You mean "Tribute bands are not artists." Simple, like that. Enemy implies much stronger connotations, as if tribute bands had some kind of aggression against art, which is not what you are trying to say.
I think enemy is a fair word because they are the rejection of what art is meant to do. They stand in the way of the natural cycle of art.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Wow. I think this whole notion is absurd and quite unfair to tribute bands.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,809
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Tribute bands are nothing more than cover bands taken to the next level.

A fun night out listening to some live music and having a few beers.

Nothing more, certainly NOT an enemy of art.
Agreed. The entire thread is based on a rather absurd notion. Entirely reactionary.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2
They stand in the way of the natural cycle of art.
Please explain.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
 

Tags
tribute bands

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com