Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
siteoard0.jpg

:kiss:

I'm glad Screwup defined the "cycle of art" for us all.

He is also responsible for the "cycle of Screw", as it turns out:

1 - Screwtape makes an insane assertion, based on 20 years of living at home, walking the fine line between looking at a girl and the penetrating glare of a psycho and reading a lot of Wilde, Keats and Pretentious Artist Digest (which IS art).

2 - Many people older, smarter, more open minded and wiser than Screwtape patiently explain why his point of view could be a bit flawed. These are, typically, rational arguments and a possible entryway into a nice give and take.

3 - Screwtape then digs in, and patiently explains why everyone is wrong, attempting the quickly end the debate he engineered in the first place.

4 - Patience thins, and Screwtape is, rightfully, scolded for being not at all open minded or capable of mature, intelligent discourse.

5 - Screwtape deigns to explain to everyone else that not only are they wrong, but that they could never understand Screw's perfectly correct point of view nor will they ever understand anything beyond their base knowledge of the world. Again, Screw is 20.

6 - The posts to Screwtape exclusively become personal jibes, most of which ring true. Patience has evaporated and exasperation sets in. Also, the comedic flair of some members comes to the forefront, which places Screw at a great disadvantage, as it's hard to be a myopic, stubborn twit but still have time to cultivate a legit sense of humor.

7. Screwtape, sensing that things are getting out of hand and a tad immature, decides to be the bigger man, by exclaiming something akin to "I am picking up my toys and leaving the sand box. So there!". Screw leaves in a huff, but, he always comes back...eventually.

8. Thread carries on without Screw, as aftershocks are felt and newcomers to the thread get to discover the wonders within. These threads are the gifts that keep on giving.

9. Everyone repairs to San Remo, Atlanta, Germany, for refreshments.

1 - Screwtape makes an insane assertion, based on 20 years of living at home, walking the fine line between looking at a girl and the penetrating glare of a psycho and reading a lot of Wilde, Keats and Pretentious Artist Digest (which IS art).

2 - Many people older, smarter, more open minded and wiser than Screwtape patiently explain why his point of view could be a bit flawed. These are, typically, rational arguments and a possible entryway into a nice give and take.

3 - Screwtape then digs in, and patiently explains why everyone is wrong, attempting the quickly end the debate he engineered in the first place.

4 - Patience thins, and Screwtape is, rightfully, scolded for being not at all open minded or capable of mature, intelligent discourse.

5 - Screwtape deigns to explain to everyone else that not only are they wrong, but that they could never understand Screw's perfectly correct point of view nor will they ever understand anything beyond their base knowledge of the world. Again, Screw is 20.

6 - The posts to Screwtape exclusively become personal jibes, most of which ring true. Patience has evaporated and exasperation sets in. Also, the comedic flair of some members comes to the forefront, which places Screw at a great disadvantage, as it's hard to be a myopic, stubborn twit but still have time to cultivate a legit sense of humor.

7. Screwtape, sensing that things are getting out of hand and a tad immature, decides to be the bigger man, by exclaiming something akin to "I am picking up my toys and leaving the sand box. So there!". Screw leaves in a huff, but, he always comes back...eventually.

8. Thread carries on without Screw, as aftershocks are felt and newcomers to the thread get to discover the wonders within. These threads are the gifts that keep on giving.

Meanwhile, the never-ending song chain keeps chugging along like a furious runaway train.

That one doesn't flabbergast me so much, and sometimes I even like popping in there for a song or two (waits for stoning). The one that flabbergasts me is the U2 song title chain. How many threads have we had on it? You know, there's only a finite number of U2 songs. So it's a never-ending chain of someone rattling off the same xx number of U2 songs in existence.

Over and over and over and over again.

:crazy:

Bravo, good sir

Zing!

Yeah the U2 song chain is worse cos of the limited resources available. To each their own I guess.

WHAT ARE YOU EATING FOR BREAKFAST?... THE THREAD!

WHAT'S THE WEATHER LIKE OUTSIDE?... THE THREAD!

THE ____ NAME GAME... THE THREAD!

Those are the low points of human existence for me.

The problem is you cannot change the function of art. Art will always work in a specific way. Outside variables can't affect the way art is. That's why outside context doesn't enter into the equation.

This was the last post I read in this thread when I left on Friday night. Page four, lads.

Well done.

Wow. That just made for interesting reading.

Tbh I can sort of see where Screwy was coming from in his original post, as tribute bands are consciously mimicking another band's songs in the very same style and not really doing anything new. Many are certainly talented to be able to play the songs and entertaining enough for people to have fun watching them, but as they're aiming to replicate the original version they don't make it their own.

BUT everything that everybody else has said I agree with, i.e. actors, orchestors, singers, etc all reintrepet something existing and create something new out of it. If it's not the same as something done before then it must be new. LMP mentioned cover songs. If a band were to drop a cover into their set they'd normally do it in their own style and not just karaoke the song. They're putting something of themselves into a song that inspired them. As for acting... well if one tries to claim that Laurence Olivier wasn't an artist then they must be seriously ill-informed. His film version of Henry V is a brilliant cinematic interpretation of a centuries old play, and that's barely even the tip of the iceberg.

But as for what constitutes art, well, I'm not even going to bother going there.

EDIT - this thread's probably dead and I'd be surprised to see Screwy return to it, but I just wanted to add my two cents :)

Chuck Klosterman agrees with OP:

"...we're discussing the question most people have about tribute bands, which is "Why do you possibly do this?" It seems antithetical to the whole concept of art; the notion of creativity has been completely removed from the equation."

Just thought I would walk in here and say that in a few hours time I will have two tickets to the Pink Floyd Experience tribute band. They're $80 bucks each, but the way I see it is I'm never going to see the real Floyd live, so this will be awesome enough.

I certainly won't be sulking because they're enemies of art.

And I've got an 18th the night before goood aassss weekend.

:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom