Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #121
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:49 AM
That's insulting, Screwy. We've taken the time to respond to your argument and you just shout back the same definitions of your idea of art like a broken record. What you're saying is disrespectful to everyone involved in the creative process except for "creators"/writers/yourself. The sooner you get the understanding that, the sooner you'll actually have success in any type of artistic or creative endeavor.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Why did you even start this thread then? To invite discussion or to beat everyone over the head with your "right" opinion? You should go out and get some beers or something, maybe catch a local tribute band in the process!
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Screwtape, we're trying to "understand" and get you to reconsider your opinions of what art is. I think that's much more productive than calling tribute bands the enemy of art, don't you?
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #124
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.

Um... who is the unwilling one here?
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #125
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,236
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Dude. You're 20 years old. Lighten up and learn to take yourself less seriously. Your opinions aren't unassailable visions sent from on high.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Well at least you feel misunderstood. All artists need to feel misunderstood.

Unfortunately I think you are all too well understood by many of us who have posted here. You are just wrong. But maybe, given enough time, you will learn and grow. I certainly hope so.

Try to open your mind a bit. Good luck.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Marconi does play the Mambo, after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I was so close to making the same reference as you did. Phew!
i you guys!
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,718
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Damn you all for getting that shitty Starship song stuck in my head.

Now THAT, I think we can all agree, is a fine example of "Bad Art."



And I'm completely at a loss as to how to respond to Screwtape's last comment.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 06:49 AM
There's no such thing as bad art, only bad interpretations.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #130
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,718
Local Time: 09:49 AM
I will stand by my assertion that "We Built This City" is bad art. I will defend this claim to the death.

And will do some interprative dance while doing so.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #131
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 12:49 PM
So basically, according to Screwtape's view, no one can ever perform Shakespeare again and have it be art. Shakespeare and all the original actors he used are long dead by now so therefore, everything that's done is just interpretation, not art.

So any movie or stage interpretations that have been created in the 400 years since Shakespeare died isn't art. No one should ever attempt to perform them again since they're just being a so-called "tribute act" to Shakespeare, according to your view point. A tribute acts are the enemy of art. So modern attempts at Shakespeare is actually hurting art.

To me, this idea makes absolutely zero sense. There is virtually no limit of what art should be. Like it's been said, trying to restrict what art is and can be is a lot more harmful than any tribute band could ever be.
__________________
Joey788 is online now  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #132
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things.
Wait, what? Because we don't agree with you, we are unwilling to listen? No, I think a lot of listening and examining has taken place in this thread; it just hasn't reached the same conclusions you have reached. If I may take my own earlier post as an example, I took the time to analyse the definitional framework you provided to show just how contradictory and confusing it is. You haven't even taken the time to respond to that, or to numerous other good points that completely undermine the viability of your argument. Instead, you stamp your foot and insist you are right - which is a sure sign that somebody is losing a debate and lacks recourse to legitimate arguments and evidence.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #133
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I will stand by my assertion that "We Built This City" is bad art. I will defend this claim to the death.

And will do some interprative dance while doing so.
No, you're wrong. Wrong!


Now, i'm going to tell you you're wrong through dance.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
And I'm completely at a loss as to how to respond to Screwtape's last comment.
perhaps interpretive dance can be effective here too?
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Interpretative dance is always effective.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline  
 

Tags
tribute bands

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com