Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's insulting, Screwy. We've taken the time to respond to your argument and you just shout back the same definitions of your idea of art like a broken record. What you're saying is disrespectful to everyone involved in the creative process except for "creators"/writers/yourself. The sooner you get the understanding that, the sooner you'll actually have success in any type of artistic or creative endeavor.

I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things. :(

Why did you even start this thread then? To invite discussion or to beat everyone over the head with your "right" opinion? You should go out and get some beers or something, maybe catch a local tribute band in the process!

I am right. You will never understand what I am saying because you are unwilling to listen. You wish to speak and not examine. Call me what you, say about me what you will but I am right. I'm sorry that none of you will understand like most things. :(

Screwtape, we're trying to "understand" and get you to reconsider your opinions of what art is. I think that's much more productive than calling tribute bands the enemy of art, don't you?

Um... who is the unwilling one here? :shrug:

Dude. You're 20 years old. Lighten up and learn to take yourself less seriously. Your opinions aren't unassailable visions sent from on high.

Well at least you feel misunderstood. All artists need to feel misunderstood. :hug:

Unfortunately I think you are all too well understood by many of us who have posted here. You are just wrong. But maybe, given enough time, you will learn and grow. I certainly hope so.

Try to open your mind a bit. Good luck.

Damn you all for getting that shitty Starship song stuck in my head.

Now THAT, I think we can all agree, is a fine example of "Bad Art."

:wink:

And I'm completely at a loss as to how to respond to Screwtape's last comment.

I will stand by my assertion that "We Built This City" is bad art. I will defend this claim to the death.

And will do some interprative dance while doing so.

So basically, according to Screwtape's view, no one can ever perform Shakespeare again and have it be art. Shakespeare and all the original actors he used are long dead by now so therefore, everything that's done is just interpretation, not art.

So any movie or stage interpretations that have been created in the 400 years since Shakespeare died isn't art. No one should ever attempt to perform them again since they're just being a so-called "tribute act" to Shakespeare, according to your view point. A tribute acts are the enemy of art. So modern attempts at Shakespeare is actually hurting art.

To me, this idea makes absolutely zero sense. There is virtually no limit of what art should be. Like it's been said, trying to restrict what art is and can be is a lot more harmful than any tribute band could ever be.

Wait, what? Because we don't agree with you, we are unwilling to listen? No, I think a lot of listening and examining has taken place in this thread; it just hasn't reached the same conclusions you have reached. If I may take my own earlier post as an example, I took the time to analyse the definitional framework you provided to show just how contradictory and confusing it is. You haven't even taken the time to respond to that, or to numerous other good points that completely undermine the viability of your argument. Instead, you stamp your foot and insist you are right - which is a sure sign that somebody is losing a debate and lacks recourse to legitimate arguments and evidence.

That's like farting, sneezing, and coughing at the same time. If it's done at the same time, you will die.

I'm sorry for saying anything. I should never say anything. Everything I say is wrong. I should hide in a dark place and never try offer a view. I'm sorry everyone. :(

No, what you should do, is offer views with an open mind towards others' opinions on the subject and on your view.

Learn to be self-critical. Accept that you are fallible and you have a lot to learn. Even the wisest, oldest person would tell you that they don't have all the answers - why do you think you do? Reconsidering and changing your views is not a betrayal of yourself but is growth. If you don't learn and grow, what is the point of life?

I'm sorry for saying anything. I should never say anything. Everything I say is wrong. I should hide in a dark place and never try offer a view. I'm sorry everyone. :(

The problem isn't that you offered an opinion, it's that you flatly refused to consider anyone else's opinions and experiences. You talked about having a discussion, but from your posts it certainly appears you only want a discussion if everyone agrees with you. That's not a discussion. Disagreements and differing views are part of life. Adult discussions do that -- and generally everyone can voice their thoughts and think about the other views presented. That people disagree with you doesn't mean they never want you to post your thoughts. There is almost always more than one way to do just about everything. And many of those ways accomplish the exact same thing in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom