Tribute Bands Are The Enemies Of Art - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #46
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,603
Local Time: 08:35 AM
This is art: YTMND - What is Indiana Jones?
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
What happens when a band plays a cover song during a show? Are they all of a sudden not artists anymore? Is the cycle broken? Will they have to wait another month to catch the next cycle?

Like others have said, art and entertainment fall into two different categories. I don't actively go out to listen to tribute bands, they don't function in the same way as a "real" band. Who's to say they're not just doing this on the side for some money to finance their musical aspirations?

There's some real-world context to this, Screwy, and I think you're missing all of it.
Real-world context cannot change the way art works.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Sure it can. One is theory, one is reality.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
When a female artist becomes pregnant, their cycle is broken.
I'm still waiting for The Three Musketeers Comedy Hour.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoManiac View Post
So, now they're hurting the cycle rather than breaking it?
You hurt the cycle by breaking it.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,603
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Real-world context cannot change the way art works.
You still didn't answer my question.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
What would Kate Bush think of this? She makes shrill, wanky art.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #53
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,603
Local Time: 08:35 AM
What am I saying? She creates shrill, wanky soundscapes.

Point is, arguing about this is fine, but not even addressing another way of thought is ridiculous.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
No more Three Musketeers Comedy Hour?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #55
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,345
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
No more Three Musketeers Comedy Hour?
It's all fun and games until Kate Bush gets satirized.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
What am I saying? She creates shrill, wanky soundscapes.

Point is, arguing about this is fine, but not even addressing another way of thought is ridiculous.
The problem is you cannot change the function of art. Art will always work in a specific way. Outside variables can't affect the way art is. That's why outside context doesn't enter into the equation.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #57
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,603
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
The problem is you cannot change the function of art. Art will always work in a specific way. Outside variables can't affect the way art is. That's why outside context doesn't enter into the equation.
That's where you're wrong. You're setting parameters to what Art can be, basically going against the entire concept of Art. To my understanding, and according to Wikipedia, art's something created to be an expression of oneself... regardless of what one person thinks of its merits. You yourself can set the parameters to which you judge how their art affects you, but you can't say it's not art because you don't like it. I don't like Kate Bush's goofy ass, but I'm not questioning her validity as a musician.

If a "real" band plays a cover song in a set of original songs, do they cease to be a "real" band and break the sacred cycle of art?

By your logic, yes, even if this condition doesn't make the slightest bit of sense with your argument.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
pepokiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 7,949
Local Time: 10:35 AM
art is what makes an artist

music is the art of musicians

for the fans, music is entertainment, not art

tribute bands provide entertainment to those who wants it

tribute bands don't want to make art, just entertain themselves and the audience

tribute bands and art don't mix up


book it!
__________________
pepokiss is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #59
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 12,774
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
That's an interesting point. Personally I think art means you have created something new.
And I disagree. There is an incredibly complex art to interpret someone else's work through the medium of performance. Your notion of art is faaaar too narrow. By your logic, actors are not artists because they're simply reciting someone else's lines and directions. Sinatra wasn't an artist because he sang someone else's music.


And this?

Quote:
The problem is you cannot change the function of art. Art will always work in a specific way. Outside variables can't affect the way art is. That's why outside context doesn't enter into the equation.
Is just your personal opinion and in no way the truth or even general consensus.
__________________
My business! | My hobby!
Diemen is offline  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,312
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Someone is stubburnly clinging to a premise that has been proved faulty since page one.

Thread
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Tags
tribute bands

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com