Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cup Rugby is fast approaching!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Let me say one thing to kick off this thread and make my point abundantly clear.

I support two teams:
1. New Zealand
2. Whoever's playing Australia

Go the mighty, mighty New Zealand All Blacks, the most successful rugby team ever and maybe the most successful sporting team of all time!

I'd like to wish a very warm welcome to this thread to all fellow Kiwis, a polite welcome to all South Africans, and ... what's that other nationality? Ahh, who cares about them? :wink:

The schedule, with my picks in bold:

30 July - Pretoria: South Africa versus Australia
7 August - Cape Town: South Africa versus New Zealand
13 August - Sydney: Australia versus New Zealand
20 August - Perth: Australia versus South Africa
27 August - Dunedin: New Zealand versus South Africa
3 September - Auckland: New Zealand versus Australia

New Zealand's team is looking bloody impressive after we took the British and Irish Lions apart. This will hopefully be a great year for Kiwi rugby! :rockon:

:love:

What a thread! Until I, or somone else, makes a Finn worship thread then this will be my favourite.

I will be attending August 13's clash. I have to agree with all your tips as well. New Zealand are too good at the moment - this is the best team since the 1996-7 dream team. :yes:

timothius said:
:love:

What a thread! Until I, or somone else, makes a Finn worship thread then this will be my favourite.

I will be attending August 13's clash. I have to agree with all your tips as well. New Zealand are too good at the moment - this is the best team since the 1996-7 dream team. :yes:

We've got one hell of a powerful team, and I'm confident that after that awesome series against the Lions, we can pull off a blinder in the Tri-Nations. Just look at our depth of players to choose from!

The only game I'm worried about is playing South Africa in South Africa.

And I think you should have the honour of making a Finn worship thread!

Wouldn't it be better and make this the ULTIMATE thread and have the Finn's, the Rugby and the Ashes all as one:drool:

Rugby, Finns, Ashes, and U2 setlists all in one. :drool:

Sooo ...

We have the rugby part.

The Finn brothers are two of the greatest musical geniuses in history. Six Months In A Leaky Boat and I Got You are two of the most incredible things I've ever heard live. :rockon:

Shane Warne is an imbecile and the sooner he's out of cricket, the better. I thought he'd retired from international cricket? But nope, there was his awful mug at the Ashes ...

I :heart: setlists.

GO All Blacks!!!! Though I think Aussie might be the wooden spooners this season, South Africa are certainly making life tough for the Aussies.

Yeah the Finn brothers were in Christchurch last night for a gig.
Dave Dobbyn is my fav. NZ singer.

Bledisloe cup 3-0 whitewash this year. Who is the new Aussie half back?

U2NZ said:
GO All Blacks!!!! Though I think Aussie might be the wooden spooners this season, South Africa are certainly making life tough for the Aussies.

Didn't the 'Boks lose a couple of weeks ago to the Aussies in Australia? Hopefully they'll pick up their game and beat the Wallabies in Australia (remembering they're fairly certain to win at home). I'd love to see Australia come dead last; show them to be the absolute failures they are.

Who is the new Aussie half back?

I don't know, but hopefully someone completely useless.

Yeah the Finn brothers were in Christchurch last night for a gig.
Dave Dobbyn is my fav. NZ singer.

And you didn't see the Finns?

I know I haven't heard Dave Dobbyn's songs for years, but if I remember who he is correctly, he's pretty good too.

Finns/U2 Set list and Guest Muscian (tonight featuring...)

Dave Dobbyn - Slice of Heaven

Footrot Flats...

Dog... :drool:

:lol:

Finns - New album is excellent, though not one of their best works, still miles ahead of much of the other stuff around.

U2 setlists - The famous backwards set? Would you mind listing it please Axver? Thanks.

Rugby:

Teams for game are:

Australia: Chris Latham, Wendell Sailor, Morgan Turinui, Matt Giteau, Lote Tuqiri, Stephen Larkham, George Gregan (captain), David Lyons, George Smith, John Roe, Nathan Sharpe, Daniel Vickerman, Matt Dunning, Jeremy Paul, Bill Young.

Replacements: Stephen Moore, Al Baxter, Mark Chisholm, Phil Waugh, Chris Whitaker, Stirling Mortlock, Drew Mitchell.

South Africa: Percy Montgomery, Breyton Paulse, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Andre Pretorius, Fourie du Preez, Jacques Cronje, Juan Smith, Joe van Niekerk, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, CJ van der Linde, John Smit (captain), Gurthro Steenkamp.

Replacements: Gary Botha, Lawrence Sephaka, Albert van den Berg, Schalk Burger, Ricky Januarie, Wayne Julies, Jaco van der Westhuyzen.

Referee: Paul Honiss (NZ).

:up:

Ashes:

While Shane Warne may be a complete and utter fool off the field he can bowl. Six wickets, I do believe in the last match...:wink:

Think that just about covers everything.

On topic: NZ > You.

Off topic:

Dave Dobbyn is okay. He tries a bit hard, but he has a handful of songs which are great... Language, Loyal, Beside You, Slice Of Heaven, Whaling etc. His DD Smash stuff is nausiating & Th' Dudes.... *sigh*

I'm off to make a Crowded House appreciation thread I expect all of you to be there. Next week we will do Split Enz. The week after The Brothers. Genius.

HALLELUJAH! AUSTRALIA LOST! Let us all celebrate and rejoice with glee! Down 13-6 at half-time, the South Africans came back to win 22-16 with a try a-piece. Doesn't sound like either side was overly convincing but the Australians were silly enough to give away penalties late in the game when they shouldn't have.

Finns - I really enjoy the new album, and the songs are simply exceptional live. When I play the album now, it almost feels like they're lacking something because they were just so good when I saw them in concert!

U2 backwards set!

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show969.html

1989-12-01: Osaka Castle Hall, Osaka - Japan

Stand By Me
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
New Year's Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
People Get Ready
MLK
One Tree Hill
Where The Streets Have No Name
Gloria
Help
Bad
Van Diemen's Land
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Slow Dancing
Angel Of Harlem
When Love Comes To Town
Love Rescue Me

encore(s):
Desire
All Along The Watchtower
All I Want Is You

(Not only was this completely swapped around - Pride and NYD normally closed the main set, the first three encore songs normally appeared early in the main set, and Angel/WLCTT/LRM was normally in the encore - but this was also the first performance of Slow Dancing, just a week shy of four years BEFORE its official release!)

timothius said:
I'd sure hate to be an Australia about now.

Anytime would be bad, but especially now. :tsk:

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking of what would be worse than being an Australian.

New Zealand will beat South Africa next week.

Oh, I don't know...

A sheep in NZ would be pretty bad :lol: :wink:

Anyway, a couple of good kicks for SA was the only difference. I think the Aussies shut down a bit too much in the second half and could have run with the ball more.

Oh, and thanks for the setlist Axver. :clap:

timothius said:

Unlike you Australians we limit ourselves to female sheep.

:tsk: Maybe you Aucklanders do things with sheep, but we Wellingtonians are civilised and limit ourselves to humans of the opposite gender.

Axver said:

:tsk: Maybe you Aucklanders do things with sheep, but we Wellingtonians are civilised and limit ourselves to humans of the opposite gender.

Sure, sure.

Often in Wellington it is difficult to decipher who is a he & who is a she...

Helen_Clark.jpg

You know what I mean?

:lmao:

I've often wondered why we say we've had two female PMs in a row when the one we currently have clearly is male.

Boys, boys...

That is not nice.

Funny, but, not nice. :lol:

Back to the Rugby/Finns/U2 set list party...

Do you know the line up for the All Blacks for the game on the weekend?

Should be interesting. Especially if Percy is able to do some more drop goals...

timothius said:

The selectors have it picked, its just being ferried up to the Big Man upstairs to have it ordained :)

He is our side you know.

Oh! So you need a helping hand. Fair enough, if you guys don't think that you can win on your own....

:wink:

Pfff....
Forget Kiwis, Springbocks and Wallabies.
France rules, we'll kill you in 2007 :mad:

Back
Top Bottom