Travis vs. Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
IMO, they seem very familair. The same style of music...very laid back, British pop-rock, college rock...

And yet, Coldplay has won most of the critical acclaim, as well as the popularity. Coldplay is on a huge world tour, while Travis still remains an obsurity, despite putting out more albums.

Any thoughts?

Travis might be bigger in the UK. I think they've gone #1 w/ their last 2 albums. Plus, Travis are recording right now, so their out of the public eye.

I like both bands.

I personally feel like Coldplay has released better stuff, and is probably more deserving than Travis of critical acclaim.

I h ave to agree with u2popmofo.
I feel Coldplay is the stronger artist between the two. I really like Travis, but their music is a little fluffier. Won't receive as much critical acclaim.
Bear really loves Travis. He says their lyrics really reach his soul. Particularly the lines:
"dear diary
what is wrong with me
cos i'm fine between the lines
be not afraid
help is on its way
a sentence suspended in air way over there
dear diary

This may sound odd from a person who is travelling all over to see Coldplay and has only seen Travis once, but I feel Travis may be the better live band. And for crowd interaction alone. When I saw them here in Minneapolis, it was like they were a local band. They invited fans up on stage and talked about all the different venues they had played around town.

I look forward to their new album soon (travis). In the meantime, I have Coldplay. I put both of their last two albums high atop my current favorites list

Yeah travis are a better live act, but musically they've gone from rock to saccharine pop over the course of three albums, which isn't terribly encouraging. That said I find them a little more interesting than coldplay, although neither band would win the intrigue prize at the Grammys!

Travis just seem (personally, to me) to be very lacking in much of anything. It's too insubstantial to really make much impact on me. Plus I don't like their schtick.

The thing about Coldplay (again, to me personally) is that once you set aside the whole they're-so-young-isn't-Chris-a-teen-idol sort of thing, the tunes are just splendid. Coldplay are wide-open emotionally and as a result can seem a bit embarressing at times maybe, like the young U2. To an extent, I consider that a good thing, especially within the stale, numb confines of British pop.

Well, Travis was big in the UK a couple years ago (well, last yr even), and Coldplay used to be called 'the new travis'. Since coldplay's popularity has increased though, travis has been overshadowed by them. Travis used to be the one winning the Brit awards and all though...I wasn't in the UK during the time when Travis was huge though, so I can't really compare the reactions to the two. Also, that accident with the drummer last year prevented them from playing the festivals...don't know if that had any impact on them sort of getting out of the public eye.

Gickies Gageeze said:
i know wanderer loves both bands. :up:

I thought Travis was a guy??

that kind of ruins it for me now :down:

I still appreciate Chris Paltrow's politik though :drool:

it gives me a real 'rush of blood to the head' if we know what eye mean :sexywink:

right sorry, Mr. Chris Martin-Paltrow, I wasnt sure he was taking on the hyphen

btw, word round the campfire has it that Gwyneth was non too pleased with her hubbie after his outburst at the Brit Awards, fearing such things could damage her career, but I say, if she does a brilliant job portraying Sylvia Plath in her upcoming film, she and her man can say whatever they want!

I was really surprised when Travis didn't make it big here with The Invisible Band. "Side" got a lot of airplay, but people just didn't connect as much with the band for some reason. Several supporting tours didn't help either. Oh well, maybe this next one will make them popular here.

Anyone hear that song "Love Will Come Through" by them? I think it was on a soundtrack or something. Really a great tune.

i like most of the british pop-rock bands.

U2 ( well, not quite british)
radiohead
pink floyd
oasis
joy division
coldplay
travis
coldplay
blur
the police
doves
porcupine tree

note : the top 2 are way ahead of the rest

between coldplay and travis, it would be coldplay for me.

apart from these the only ones i like are perhaps rem and inxs.

What did Chris say at the Brit awards? I missed it. :reject: I have been missing everything these days....

so what about that has Ms. Paltrow's panties in a tizzy? when is he going to wake up and remember that glorious moment we shared in Seattle? :(

:der: kudos to him for speaking his mind.

Last edited:
I have somewhat of a basic love for melodic, melancholic, guitar-based music, so I like both Travis and Coldplay. I think that Fran Healy is a stronger singer of the two, but musically I'd give a slight edge to Coldplay, if only because they seem to be striving for a more "epic" sort of sound that I have a weakness for (although I don't think they got quite there yet; IMO they still seem to be a bit too restrained for their own good).

Back
Top Bottom