travelling with space bags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
ok, so i had a great idea that to make more space for storing stuff when i move to the netherlands i could pack all my clothes up with those vacuum pack space bags. so last night i went out to wal-mart and found some.

by the time i got them home i got to thinking though...
they're probably not the best things to take on an airplane.
1) if they have to search your bags
2) if the vacuum seal becomes disturbed in anyway your bag could be in for trouble and be over stuffed.

so i was wondering if anyone here has traveled with space bags?

i suppose if i ship them via the mail or shipping co. the same problem would exist. :shrug:

BonoFox1 said:
hmm.I bought some travel space bags for my upcoming trip I dont think there is a prob using them...

i won't have the problem of a return destination cuz my clothes are staying there but how are you going to re-pack everything? :hmm:
or are you flying somewhere where there will be a vacuum cleaner? lol.

Are they clear? I would hope that if your luggage was TSAed they'd just look at each of the bags and not have to open them all, but who knows. Might want to PM Zoney...

Liesje said:
Are they clear? I would hope that if your luggage was TSAed they'd just look at each of the bags and not have to open them all, but who knows. Might want to PM Zoney...

If you are just packing your clothing in them, and your clothing does not have any traces of explosives or other illegal substances, you should be fine.

Just watch the overall weight of the bag. That can get costly. It is WAY cheaper to just ship your stuff ahead of time.

ABEL said:
ok, so i had a great idea that to make more space for storing stuff when i move to the netherlands i could pack all my clothes up with those vacuum pack space bags. so last night i went out to wal-mart and found some.

by the time i got them home i got to thinking though...
they're probably not the best things to take on an airplane.
1) if they have to search your bags
2) if the vacuum seal becomes disturbed in anyway your bag could be in for trouble and be over stuffed.

so i was wondering if anyone here has traveled with space bags?

i suppose if i ship them via the mail or shipping co. the same problem would exist. :shrug:

If you ship them via mail (or FedEx or UPS or some other shipper), I don't think they open your package to inspect it.

And ditto about what zoney said about the weight of yoru luggage. My sister has done quiet a bit of traveling this summer for work and had gotten dinged quite a few times for having an "overweight" bag. I think it was a $25 fee for the "overweight" bag.

JessicaAnn said:
And ditto about what zoney said about the weight of yoru luggage. My sister has done quiet a bit of traveling this summer for work and had gotten dinged quite a few times for having an "overweight" bag. I think it was a $25 fee for the "overweight" bag.

Most airlines charge $25 domestic...international is a whole different story.

Re: Re: travelling with space bags?

JessicaAnn said:

If you ship them via mail (or FedEx or UPS or some other shipper), I don't think they open your package to inspect it.

i actually work for a company that does one of the above shipping so i do get a rather good discount on shipping.
i am going to be shipping most of my stuff over but i wanted to bring as much of my important clothes with me as possible to already have there.
even with the discount shipping to the netherlands is going to be expensive.

i'm not so worried about the weight of the bag.
i can only carry so much anyway so it wouldn't be 'overweight'.
i was more worried about the vacuum seal becoming compromised and the suitcase becoming damaged and the stuff that was sealed expanding.

Liesje said:

yes they are clear.

The travel versions of Space Bags don't need a vacuum to seal them, you "roll out" the air in them.

Chrisedge said:
The travel versions of Space Bags don't need a vacuum to seal them, you "roll out" the air in them.

i just might have to go to the container store tomorrow and buy some of those.
i didn't see any at wal-mart but i found out the container store has them. :hmm:

I used them when I traveled to Italy last December and had no problems with them at all. They were a life saver in terms of keeping my packing down to one backpack. I also ended up taking the air out of the small ziplock sandwich bags to hold my washcloths. I became obsessed with these bags to see how much I could pack and squeeze in. It was great. I had no problems going through security in the US or in Italy with them.

I used a couple when I Went to Hawaii in December and they worked ok but I think I could have probably gotten more air out of them because 2 of them had air leak in during the flight. It wasn't much. I think they are great for space saving and storage. :up: Great invention.

ABEL said:

i just might have to go to the container store tomorrow and buy some of those.
i didn't see any at wal-mart but i found out the container store has them. :hmm:

Fun fact:

My aunt manages several Container Stores, including the one in Dallas. :D

I have some space bags...but I think they ripped before we ever even had a chance to take the air out. Defective products...:|

LemonMelon said:

Fun fact:

My aunt manages several Container Stores, including the one in Dallas. :D

I have some space bags...but I think they ripped before we ever even had a chance to take the air out. Defective products...:|

ehm which one in dallas? there are several lol.
i could go say hi to her when i buy my hopefully non defective space bags. :giggle:
i can't PM you :angry: :tongue:

ABEL said:

ehm which one in dallas? there are several lol.
i could go say hi to her when i buy my hopefully non defective space bags. :giggle:
i can't PM you :angry: :tongue:

Best guess is this one:

http://www.containerstore.com/find/store.jhtml?store=SLK

Not all CS merchandise is defective. :wink: We get free stuff from the chain all the time because I'm related, and it all works fine, but I'm glad I don't have to buy it myself because their stuff is expensive. :lol:

ah, if it's that one that's rather far from me so i wouldn't know her lol.
and yeah i know about container store stuff being expensive.
i'd love to have my whole closet arranged with their stuff if it wasn't so expensive lol.
well i checked the price of the space bags online and it seems pretty close to what the actual space bag website charges.
you're lucky to get the free stuff lol.

We have one closet that is arranged with this stuff from CS: http://www.containerstore.com/elfa/ it's a lifesaver. That's mostly all we have though, but our closet would be a disaster area without it. :sick:

Best of luck with the space bags. I agree with sending your stuff beforehand...it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom