Traveler's Tales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Ok, so I've notice I have some fellow travelers here. :wink: Plus, there are some great travel photos that show up every once in a while on Sicy's photo thread.

Care to share? Where've ya been? What did ya do? What was it like? Why did you go? Any favorites?

I've travelled over alot of the USA & England (having lived in both), seen a little of Canada and gone on 2 trips through Europe. 1 of them was in Sept this year :D :drool:

Italy has the best food:drool: :drool: :drool: Switzerland is probably my fav country i've visited.:love: I've also been to Spain, Portugal, France, Ireland and Belgium. :up:to most of where i've been

Great thread idea :) where all have you been?

Last edited:
I just got back from my 3rd visit to Edinburgh this morning- it is a beautiful, beautiful city. I haven't done anywhere else in Scotland (except a very drunk weekend in Glasgow which I don't remember much of), but each time I go back to EDI, I always have a fantastic time.

Other places worthy of mention...

Stockholm... I love water, and this city has loads of it! Gorgeous architecture, really clean, and best of all lots of Kopperbergs pear cider :) Scandinavia rocks!

Malaysian Borneo... Malaysians are so lovely. It's just so damn hot!

And really anywhere in France. Love Paris but the middle-of-nowhere towns are really lovely too.

And while I've not been there yet, I hear that Dubrovnik and the islands around it in Croatia are fantastic. Planning an extended weekend sometime in the spring and can't wait!

FAVORITES

India, especially the South
Italy, especially Rome
Greece, anywhere
the US, especially the Northwest, Florida & Hawai'i
London, unfortunately all I've seen of the UK
France, especially the Pyrenees

OTHER (to be fair, I've generally spent less time in these places)

Canada (Ontario)
China (Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong)
Spain
Japan
Portugal
Singapore
Czech Republic
Philippines (Manila)
Nepal
Bermuda (don't bother!)
Thailand
Pakistan (Rawalpindi)

Last edited:
ZooGrl said:
Scandinavia rocks!

Well, thank you! :D

My home town is Copenhagen, so... :wink: ... I guess that (and the fact that I've been living in Norway for 6 months + an endless number of vacations in Norway and Sweden) makes me a bit biased about Scandinavia, but anyways...

I've lost my heart to Norway! It's a very, very beautiful country with all the 'fjords' and mountains - and the snow in the winter! :drool: And the Norwegians are some of the most friendly and warm people on earth - I :heart: that country! :yes:

I would recommend travelling to Norway both summer and winter - The summer on the west coast were I lived was amazing (when it didn't rain, which it does quite often on the west coast! :lol: )! Sailing out to tiny small islands, laying in the sun and swimming in the ocean, shell tons of shrimps and eat them all, etc etc... :happy:

The winter is just as amazing - on the coast there isn't any snow, but if you go a bit into the country you'll see 1,5m of snow and -20C! :drool: It's perfect for any kind of winter sports. Norways is perhaps most famous for its cross country skiing, but the alpine skiing is also very, very good!

And the capitol, Oslo - it's a great city, no doubt! And there are lots of interesting things too see (Nobel Peace Prize museum, "Fram", Holmenkollen, the viking ships, the Vigeland park etc), but I wouldn't say it's my favourite European capitol... that would be a city a little more to the west - but I guess someone else will review and recommend Dublin and Ireland? :wink:

If I were to make a top 3, then... I can't actually - have to share some of the #:

#1 Countryside Norway + Dublin and countryside, Ireland
#2 Countryside Sweden + Oslo, Norway
#3 Rome, Italy + Athens, Greece

I haven't travelled much outside Europe (actually only to North Africa), but in a few months I'm moving to Kenya, to live there for a little while - then I'll give you a review of Sub-Saharan Africa! :wink:

Last edited:
I used to work for an airline, so I got some nice trips in while I was there.

Dublin (Awesome.)
Amsterdam (twice :wink: )
Paris (I don't care what people say about it, it's an amazing city.)
Barcelina (One of the best trips I've ever taken. Loved it. I'd go back in a heartbeat.)

Mexico, several times. Puerto Vallarta (BEAUTIFUL), Acapulco (Probably real nice at one time, but kinda run down now), Mexico City (Fun if you know where to be, not so fun if you get lost) and Cozumel (Fun....yeah. Fun. Not much going on though.)

And Aruba and the Bahamas as well.

Next year I'm off to Scotland (WHOOOOOOO HOOOOO!). Maybe Italy this summer, pending money and some life issues.

Have lived and worked in London, Dublin, Vienna and Tel Aviv.

Also traveled to:
UK (mostly to castles but also went to Manchester and Liverpool), Scotland
Belgium
Netherlands (Amsterdam - a bit blurry)
Germany
France (loved Nice)
Switzerland
Spain
Portugal
Italy(Venice was awesome)
Greece (did anyone hit Corfu?)
Karkow Poland
Morocco
Czech

Aruba - honeymoon

Cayman Islands
Freeport (really sucks)
Nassau and Paradise Island several times

Canada (Toronto and Montreal)
Niagara Falls
NYC (my fave U.S. city)
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Texas
Georgia
Virginia
Washington DC
Pennsylvania (Pit and Philly)
Kenyucky
W. Virginia
Michigan
Nevada
Arizona
Massachusetts

That's all I can think of for now.... :D

I did most of this during my 20’s

England & Wales
All over

Germany
Munich, Berlin, Essen, Hamburg.

Norway
Christiansand, Oslo, Bergen, Bodo.

Denmark
Copenhagen.

Middle East
Dubai, Kuwait, Syria.

Greece
Athens, Corfu, Crete,

Hong Kong

Korea
Pusan, Seoul

Thailand
Bangkok

Indonesia
Jakarta, Bali

Traveled through – France, Germany, Austria, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia.

wow you guys went to lots of places :ohmy: were you paid for all these trips ? You surely have lots of time.
I have noticed that some friends of mine who travel a lot want to escape something, like their dull social life or a difficult relationship with someone, they're convinced everything will be better after their trip. Have you already experienced such a thing ? Most of them are very disappointed when they come back because even if they let their problems for a while, they're still here when they're back home.

I'm not a big traveler neither Meggie, I could go to many places but sometimes I just don't feel the need or I just don't feel like going elswhere because I'm fine where I am. I loved Italy a lot and I'd like to go back there :up:

MissMaCo said:
wow you guys went to lots of places :ohmy: were you paid for all these trips ? You surely have lots of time.
I have noticed that some friends of mine who travel a lot want to escape something, like their dull social life or a difficult relationship with someone, they're convinced everything will be better after their trip. Have you already experienced such a thing ? Most of them are very disappointed when they come back because even if they let their problems for a while, they're still here when they're back home.

I wasn't paid for the trips, aside from some domestic ones. I wasn't running from anything either; it's a big world, and it's a wonderful thing to see. I would pretty much go anywhere (save places where people prefer me dead). And I don't consider my social life dull, if anything, it's become richer because of travel.

Hey Merc, where on the west coast of Norway would you recommend in the summer? Say for a long weekend? I am all about long weekends away!

BTW, I spent a weekend in Copenhagen a few years ago- loved it, you have a beautiful city! Especially liked the bikes that you could rent by putting in a few kroner!

MissMaCo, I think it depends on the person... I agree with Uber... I'm from Canada; everywhere is far away. Living in Europe, having the freedom to fly anywhere -- cheaply-- is fantastic. What are passports for if not to use them?! :p

ZooGrl said:
Living in Europe, having the freedom to fly anywhere -- cheaply-- is fantastic.

Depends on how much disposable income one has. I live in Europe and don't have the money to go to Cambridge for a weekend, much less anywhere outside England. Barring the issue of holiday time, I could have more easily afforded to travel around Europe when I live in the US than I can now that I live in the UK.

:drool:

I hope I can travel when I'm older.....

that would be really cool, especially if I could go with someone else. But that's a different subject all together. I agree, it is a big world, and there are lots of places to see. Perhapse with this globalization, world travel will become more availible to other people.

meegannie said:

Depends on how much disposable income one has. I live in Europe and don't have the money to go to Cambridge for a weekend, much less anywhere outside England. Barring the issue of holiday time, I could have more easily afforded to travel around Europe when I live in the US than I can now that I live in the UK.

Fair enough. When I said that I had flights in mind more than anything else, ie Ryanair/BMI etc for less than €100-150 over the likes of Air Canada which'll charge you an arm and a leg to go from Montreal to Toronto, which you could drive on a 3 lane highway in 6 hours. Hotels though, I'd have to say, are much cheaper in North America. It's also an issue of time - I could easily pop over to the UK, Germany, France, Austria, etc etc for the weekend living in Europe and for obvious reasons that couldn't happen living in Canada.

As for disposable income, that's definitely true; as a student it would be a lot harder, even working full time it can be too, but it's about priorities as well I guess.

ZooGrl said:
Hey Merc, where on the west coast of Norway would you recommend in the summer? Say for a long weekend? I am all about long weekends away!

I would say Stavanger (were I lived) or Bergen...

Both are really pretty, but of course I have a special relationship with Stavanger, so if I have to recommend one - that would be it! :yes:

The city centre is small and cosy with old wodden houses (Michael Stipe liked it alot! :wink: ) and good shopping posibilities. And good restaurants in the old warehouses in the habour... theres lots of different museums, but one I must recommend is the "oil-museum" - it's really interesting! (Stavanger is the 'oil-capitol' of Norway)

And the nature around Stavanger is really amazing - one place you must visit if you go is "The Pulpit Rock"! :D Its a very special rock formation in one of the 'fjords' outside Stavanger... it does look like a pulpit - sort of hanging of the side of the rest of the mountain. Heres a pic of me up there (its 600m above sea level) this summer:

DSC00517a.jpg

Btw, if you decide to go - some practical info... there's no direct flights from Dublin to Stavanger, but there is direct flights from London to Stavanger and from Newcastle (I think it was) - just so you know there are other possibilities than flying to Oslo and changeing flights there! :)

And if you need more info, just ask - I know a few websites with good info and so on... :yes:

ZooGrl said:
BTW, I spent a weekend in Copenhagen a few years ago- loved it, you have a beautiful city! Especially liked the bikes that you could rent by putting in a few kroner!

Thank you! :) I :heart: this city - it will always be my home!

And our "famous" city bikes - glad you liked them! :D Copenhagen really is made for biking around the city!

Last edited:
:ohmy: I have friends in Stavanger (well actually across the bay from Stavanger) and I spent a few days visiting them a couple of years ago. Very lovely area. We went swimming in an icy cold river near their house. Had a ride on the ferry. Took a boat up to Bergen where I travelled out into the countryside for a friends wedding. I have to say, I've visited a lot of countries, but I really enjoyed Norway. The people were very warm and friendly. I was offered a ride into Oslo from the airport by the man whom I'd sat next to during the plane ride, which saved me a lot of money. And when it looked like I would have to fly before the wedding of said friend, the extended family of the bride pulled some strings and paid to change my tickets so I could be there for the wedding, then drove me to the airport and saw me safely on my way. :heart: Norway and Norwegians.

I'm currently living in Sub-saharan Africa but unfortunately haven't been able to travel as much as I would have liked while here. I've been to Mauritania in addition to Mali. In a few weeks I'll be travelling overland to Burkina Faso and Ghana, so I'm looking forward to that. :cool:

Highlights of my many wanders in Europe would be:
Holland and the fantastic Dutch!
Vienna
Croatia
Switzerland (where I lived for over a year)
Italy (for the architecture, the art, and the gelato)
Paris and the Cote d'Azur in France

In Asia, I have really only seen Indonesia (and quite a lot of it considering I grew up there;)) and a little of Singapore and Hong Kong. Indonesia has lots of gorgeous scenery and great food. Skip Bali, it's a tourist trap not to mention becoming dangerous. There are scores of other beaches and places to visit. Some of my best memories include finding our own private beach, complete with white sand and aquamarine water...snorkeling over the reefs, tropical fish, etc.

sulawesigirl4 said:
In Asia, I have really only seen Indonesia (and quite a lot of it considering I grew up there;)) and a little of Singapore and Hong Kong. Indonesia has lots of gorgeous scenery and great food. Skip Bali, it's a tourist trap not to mention becoming dangerous. There are scores of other beaches and places to visit. Some of my best memories include finding our own private beach, complete with white sand and aquamarine water...snorkeling over the reefs, tropical fish, etc.

Ahh Sula, you're still here! I remember you from - god, can I say *years* ago!! Hope you're well...

Would love to go to indonesia. A couple of my mates have been - all seemingly went on round the world trips; two ended up making it to indonesia and staying there for a good portion of their year :) The closest I've made it so far is malaysian borneo, which was wild.. very cool place, if indonesia's anything like it i'm sure i'd love it.

actually, on that note, can i ask a stupid question purely out of curiosity? i remember hearing somewhere that in parts of indonesian borneo there are still cannibals... is that true? and if so, who might they feast on???!

great thread!

been to europe a few times - first time i went after college for 7 weeks backpacking.
france
spain
italy
germany
switzerland (great little place called gimmelwald)
czech republic
ireland
belgium (go to brugge if you have never been. i promise you will love it)
england
monaco
austria

been to south africa 3 times and going again in Dec. We will be going to Victoria Falls in Zambia and taking a day safari into Chobi (in Botswana). I am so excited. There is just something about africa...
when i get back, i will report in and show pictures if any turn out!

Back
Top Bottom