Traveler's Tales - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:16 PM
ok

where are you from UberBeaver ?

Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Hey Merc, where on the west coast of Norway would you recommend in the summer? Say for a long weekend? I am all about long weekends away!

BTW, I spent a weekend in Copenhagen a few years ago- loved it, you have a beautiful city! Especially liked the bikes that you could rent by putting in a few kroner!

MissMaCo, I think it depends on the person... I agree with Uber... I'm from Canada; everywhere is far away. Living in Europe, having the freedom to fly anywhere -- cheaply-- is fantastic. What are passports for if not to use them?!

Old 11-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
I went to Mexico once.

Does that count?
tijuana does not count.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ZooGrl
Living in Europe, having the freedom to fly anywhere -- cheaply-- is fantastic.
Depends on how much disposable income one has. I live in Europe and don't have the money to go to Cambridge for a weekend, much less anywhere outside England. Barring the issue of holiday time, I could have more easily afforded to travel around Europe when I live in the US than I can now that I live in the UK.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 AM

I hope I can travel when I'm older.....

that would be really cool, especially if I could go with someone else. But that's a different subject all together. I agree, it is a big world, and there are lots of places to see. Perhapse with this globalization, world travel will become more availible to other people.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 AM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

Depends on how much disposable income one has. I live in Europe and don't have the money to go to Cambridge for a weekend, much less anywhere outside England. Barring the issue of holiday time, I could have more easily afforded to travel around Europe when I live in the US than I can now that I live in the UK.
Fair enough. When I said that I had flights in mind more than anything else, ie Ryanair/BMI etc for less than €100-150 over the likes of Air Canada which'll charge you an arm and a leg to go from Montreal to Toronto, which you could drive on a 3 lane highway in 6 hours. Hotels though, I'd have to say, are much cheaper in North America. It's also an issue of time - I could easily pop over to the UK, Germany, France, Austria, etc etc for the weekend living in Europe and for obvious reasons that couldn't happen living in Canada.

As for disposable income, that's definitely true; as a student it would be a lot harder, even working full time it can be too, but it's about priorities as well I guess.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

it's about priorities as well I guess.
Like eating and paying my council tax?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Hey Merc, where on the west coast of Norway would you recommend in the summer? Say for a long weekend? I am all about long weekends away!
I would say Stavanger (were I lived) or Bergen...

Both are really pretty, but of course I have a special relationship with Stavanger, so if I have to recommend one - that would be it!

The city centre is small and cosy with old wodden houses (Michael Stipe liked it alot! ) and good shopping posibilities. And good restaurants in the old warehouses in the habour... theres lots of different museums, but one I must recommend is the "oil-museum" - it's really interesting! (Stavanger is the 'oil-capitol' of Norway)

And the nature around Stavanger is really amazing - one place you must visit if you go is "The Pulpit Rock"! Its a very special rock formation in one of the 'fjords' outside Stavanger... it does look like a pulpit - sort of hanging of the side of the rest of the mountain. Heres a pic of me up there (its 600m above sea level) this summer:

Btw, if you decide to go - some practical info... there's no direct flights from Dublin to Stavanger, but there is direct flights from London to Stavanger and from Newcastle (I think it was) - just so you know there are other possibilities than flying to Oslo and changeing flights there!

And if you need more info, just ask - I know a few websites with good info and so on...

Quote:
BTW, I spent a weekend in Copenhagen a few years ago- loved it, you have a beautiful city! Especially liked the bikes that you could rent by putting in a few kroner!
Thank you! I this city - it will always be my home!

And our "famous" city bikes - glad you liked them! Copenhagen really is made for biking around the city!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #24
The Fly

Merc- beautiful picture! Looks like a great area. One heck of a hike up there though!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have friends in Stavanger (well actually across the bay from Stavanger) and I spent a few days visiting them a couple of years ago. Very lovely area. We went swimming in an icy cold river near their house. Had a ride on the ferry. Took a boat up to Bergen where I travelled out into the countryside for a friends wedding. I have to say, I've visited a lot of countries, but I really enjoyed Norway. The people were very warm and friendly. I was offered a ride into Oslo from the airport by the man whom I'd sat next to during the plane ride, which saved me a lot of money. And when it looked like I would have to fly before the wedding of said friend, the extended family of the bride pulled some strings and paid to change my tickets so I could be there for the wedding, then drove me to the airport and saw me safely on my way. Norway and Norwegians.

I'm currently living in Sub-saharan Africa but unfortunately haven't been able to travel as much as I would have liked while here. I've been to Mauritania in addition to Mali. In a few weeks I'll be travelling overland to Burkina Faso and Ghana, so I'm looking forward to that.

Highlights of my many wanders in Europe would be:
Holland and the fantastic Dutch!
Vienna
Croatia
Switzerland (where I lived for over a year)
Italy (for the architecture, the art, and the gelato)
Paris and the Cote d'Azur in France

In Asia, I have really only seen Indonesia (and quite a lot of it considering I grew up there) and a little of Singapore and Hong Kong. Indonesia has lots of gorgeous scenery and great food. Skip Bali, it's a tourist trap not to mention becoming dangerous. There are scores of other beaches and places to visit. Some of my best memories include finding our own private beach, complete with white sand and aquamarine water...snorkeling over the reefs, tropical fish, etc.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #26
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMaCo
ok

where are you from UberBeaver ?
New York. I represent Queens but raised out in Broo-...Long Island.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
In Asia, I have really only seen Indonesia (and quite a lot of it considering I grew up there) and a little of Singapore and Hong Kong. Indonesia has lots of gorgeous scenery and great food. Skip Bali, it's a tourist trap not to mention becoming dangerous. There are scores of other beaches and places to visit. Some of my best memories include finding our own private beach, complete with white sand and aquamarine water...snorkeling over the reefs, tropical fish, etc.
Ahh Sula, you're still here! I remember you from - god, can I say *years* ago!! Hope you're well...

Would love to go to indonesia. A couple of my mates have been - all seemingly went on round the world trips; two ended up making it to indonesia and staying there for a good portion of their year The closest I've made it so far is malaysian borneo, which was wild.. very cool place, if indonesia's anything like it i'm sure i'd love it.

actually, on that note, can i ask a stupid question purely out of curiosity? i remember hearing somewhere that in parts of indonesian borneo there are still cannibals... is that true? and if so, who might they feast on???!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #28
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:16 AM
great thread!

been to europe a few times - first time i went after college for 7 weeks backpacking.
france
spain
italy
germany
switzerland (great little place called gimmelwald)
czech republic
ireland
belgium (go to brugge if you have never been. i promise you will love it)
england
monaco
austria

been to south africa 3 times and going again in Dec. We will be going to Victoria Falls in Zambia and taking a day safari into Chobi (in Botswana). I am so excited. There is just something about africa...
when i get back, i will report in and show pictures if any turn out!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by new_craic_girl

switzerland (great little place called gimmelwald)
belgium (go to brugge if you have never been. i promise you will love it)
I've been to both, great places
Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:16 AM
that is so cool tre!
I knew I liked you. when were you there?