Transmitting live from Mars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So, has anyone else been out to look at Mars lately? Tonight I finally took a look and WOW! I'm about to order a telescope so I can get a better view before the end of September.

For those who don't know, Mars is as close to Earth as it has been in recorded history, nor will it be this close again until August 28, 2287. You can see it come up around 10 p.m. (in the U.S., I'm not sure about other areas) looking toward the southeast. It's hard to miss--it looks like a red star, only it doesn't blink (stars blink, planets don't). With a decent telescope, you can even see one of Mars' white polar caps. The peak day will be August 28.

On August 24, Uranus will be at its closest to Earth too. It is easy to find, as it is a little above Mars. Looking through binoculars, it will appears as a blue "star."

Anyway, I was just excited and wondered if others were checking this out too. Happy planetgazing!

I think you should still be able to see it from Singapore. The website for the Singapore Science Centre says that Mars rises from the southeast horizon in Singapore around 9 p.m. Apparently they are having a party and observation at the end of the month.

I've kinda been keeping up with it...I haven't been to my Astronomy Club meetings in a couple months since I was busy with my friend's wedding in Florida last month. The meeting is next Friday, so hopefully they'll have some more to say about Mars then too.

When I came out of the Blue Man Group concert on Wednesday night, Mars was so pretty. It had just rained, and there was a small circular break in the clouds where the moon (which was almost full) and Mars were peeking thru side by side...it was soo purty :yes:

boo. bad joke mofo

:sexywink:

if it's been cloudy should i bother getting off my lazy ass and seeing if i can see it?

mars.gif

Well......ok....but just this once....

uranus.gif

Dont tell anyone I let you see it!

Oh my it glistens in the moonlight.

Now I don't need to admire it from afar any longer.

Uranus... thou art exposed, and I dig it!

I've been outside admiring Mars every night during the past week. Very, very cool. When the full was moon and it was rising last week, they were almost side by side for a few hours. It was awesome.

I believe Wednesday (Aug. 13) was the full moon...or at least the day before or after was...I remember cuz the meteor shower peaked but the moon was full and was going to drown out some of the meteors....except we were socked in with clouds most of the night :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom