Tragically Hip fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's Betty

Refugee
I was just wondering if there are any Hip fans around here?

They are coming to Winnipeg in January and I just bought my tickets. I haven't seen them in a couple years so it should be great. :hyper:

their latest single is quite catchy, and different from what their other stuff sounds like.

I does sound very different from their other stuff. I'm starting to like it the more I hear it.

Their new material is an interesting change. In the past, I found Downie's vocals to be a bit laborious... but now it sounds like he is having fun with it.

Maybe someday the Hip will stop retaining the Champions of Contemporary Canadian Folk title.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
i actually lined up and slept outside overnight with friend to get hip tickets many years ago. we played cards with these engineering students that were sitting behind us, and then this guy i knew from elementary school showed up to sell pot to everyone in line, but he got busted by security.

true story.

i :heart: nautical disaster. and in view always makes me smile when i hear it, it's so cute!

:applaud: Yay! For a minute there I thought I was the only fan around here.

Nautical Disaster is one of my favs too.

I really like the hip, but I didn't buy their last album because vaccination scars really irritated me. Same goes with the new single. It's good, it sounds like the hip, I just don't care much for it. I'll have to hear a little more before I make up my mind. I own most of their old stuff though, they rock.

Good Band. I haven't heard the past few albums but might pick up the new one. Along with Sloan They're one of the Best Canadian bands of the past 15 or so years.

Trouble at the Henhouse is one of my favourite cds of all time.

I did get their live dvd that was out last year, but I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to their last couple of cds.

Their new single is interesting. When I first heard it, I was all "wtf??" Upon subsequent listenings, it brings to mind The Killers, and bands like that. The Hip's attempt to stay relevant?

Although Canadian icons, I think they're between a rock and a hard place. They have a much-loved and established sound and style. However, I'd guess that the core of their fanbase are late 20's - 30's and up. They're probably not what the cool kids these days are into. They're certainly no Metric, Broken Social Scene or Arcade Fire. So, they can mess with their sound and run the risk of alienating their longtime fans, or keep the longtime (but perhaps stale) sound they've always had, maintain their old fans, and slip quietly into irrelevance.

Honestly, I don't know which they should do.

And yeah, I think Sloan are pretty awesome, too.

Last edited:
:up:

I've seen the Hip live more often than every other band I've seen combined.

The Canada Day show in PEI was unreal - they played Daredevil, Sherpa, Last of the Unplucked Gems, Lionized, Fire in the Hole...it was like a Hip fan's wet dream. :drool:

VintagePunk said:

Their new single is interesting. When I first heard it, I was all "wtf??" Upon subsequent listenings, it brings to mind The Killers, and bands like that. The Hip's attempt to stay relevant?

I gave it a listen yesterday at HMV. There's definitely a different vibe to this that sounds pretty fresh. The one that grabbed me the most was The Lonely End of the Rink :drool:

The hip are awesome... I prefer their older stuff though.

I got the chance to see them in a small venue in Philly... Sam Roberts was opening for them. Me and my buddies drank with Sam and his Band after their set, and we watched the hip with them. It was awesome. They are a nice bunch... and one of them (their drummer) played hockey against my friend in juniors.

after the Hip show, we went outside and met the whole band. what a nice bunch. Gord loved my team canada hockey jersey... and signed a pack of Philly Blunts that I had with me !

He wrote: "Mike smoking makes you look cool. Go Canada Go!"

I also discussed U2 with Rob Baker, their lead guitarist. He called POP "Poop"... but is a big fan. I disagreed with him on the Pop thing. :p

new song is pretty cool, and I think this is their best album since Phantom Power.

The new video shows that they are Springsteen fans. I like it, and I stepped off the Hip train in 97/98. I saw them 4 times in the mid 90's.

There is some truth to the new music video. In the Vancouver chinatown all the local merchants combined asked the major phone company to remove all payphones in the area. It curbed all the dope-dealing who were using them for business.

u2fp

The entire new album, "World Container" is streaming at www.thehip.com right now.

Upon further examination, I have come to the conclusion that Rob Baker's guitar part from The Lonely End of the Rink is an Edge guitar part.

This album is probably their best since Phantom Power or maybe even earlier. If this doesn't make some Americans stand up and take notice, then nothing will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom