Townshend vs. Edge vs. Richards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa

Acrobat
I feel that these three are easier to compare rather than Edge vs. Hendrix. I found it inteeresting that Townshend was absent from the Hendrix/Edge Thread. Townshend was certainly a contemporary of Hendrix and certainly, IMO, deserves mention when discussing guitarists. Back to the question at hand though, who was/is the better guitarist, The Edge, Pete Townshend or Keith Richards. All 3 would fall more into the Rythym Guiatrist camp, yet all 3 are "lead guitarists".
The winner?

Pete Townshend - One of the most crative and innivative guitatrist / writers in rock history. His guitar playing, while not flashy, is simply the most powerful sound in the history of rock. Live, Townshend kicks arse!!!!!

Thoughts?

I don't have an answer. I just have to say though that Townshend is by and large underrated. He is probably the best rhythm and blues guitar player of the three... and has some of the greatest solo live improvisations I've ever heard. And acoustically he has produced some very complex and interesting picking patterns.

Just my thoughts.

I like them all, Edge is my favorite.

Who's better? I dont know, I dont do math.

Why even bother with this comparison? It's Edge hands down over those two aging guitar players.

A far second would be Richie Sambora. Then you can add Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton and Evan Tabunfueld (of Avril's band).

Cheers,

J

yertle-the-turtle said:
michelle branch

Oh yeah how could I leave her out. Limiting the list to men only would make Martha Burke cringe.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

wait a minute...edge isn't aging?

io'm a bigger fan of edge's guitar work, nothing against townsend or richards. just that i don't like the rolling stones all that much, and i still need to hear more of the who before i form a real opinion on townsend's guiotar playing. but apparently he got the windmill from richards...

Pete!! :up: :drool:

I can't choose between Pete or Edge. I've loved Townshend longer, almost fifteen years...but in my opinion they are two of the greatest guitar players ever.

ptsg1.jpg

ed-all58.jpg

ed-all45.jpg

ptownsend3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom