Torquay Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Otherwise known as the Fawlty Towers Superthread, dedicated to everybody who ever had communication problems with Mrs Richards.

So far, we've visited:

- Pop Survivor Round One
- Australia Discotheque style
- EBTTRT
- IAMJ
- TCATT
- POTDB
- EYKIW/Liechtenstein
- AIWIU2
- Australia
- Djibouti
- Te Urewera National Park
- Inaccessible Island
- Lodgepole, Nebraska
- Bangaluru, which was Bangin'
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotameteaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenakitanatahu
- Territorial Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Ouagadougou
- Dominican Republic
- Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen
- Fernando de Noronha
- Kyzyl, aka Fuck Vowels

Now we are in Torquay. Don't complain about the view from the thread's room.

Mrs Richards: I asked for a room with a view!
Basil: [muttering to Manuel] Deaf, mad, and blind...
[He goes to the window and peers through it.]
Basil: Ah, this is the view as far as I can remember, madam… yes, yes, this is it.
Mrs Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil: That is Torquay, madam.
Mrs Richards: Well, it's not good enough.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically—
Mrs Richards: Don't be silly! I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky!
Mrs Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, may I suggest that you consider moving to a hotel closer to the sea?! [muttering to himself] Or preferably in it.
Mrs. Richards: Now listen to me. I'm not satisfied, but I've decided to stay here. However, I shall expect a reduction.
Basil: Why? Because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?

Mr. Hamilton: What I'm suggesting that this place is the crummiest, shoddiest, worst-run hotel in the whole of Western Europe.
Major Gowen [angrily]: NO! No I won't have that. There's a place in Eastbourne.

Right, so, my trams. To review from the end of the last thread, with different pictures:

THE W CLASS

s640x480

(In their handsome City Circle livery this time around. :drool: )

THE Z CLASS. ZED CLASS, PEOPLE.

Specifically the Z3, as I haven't taken a photo of the Z1 or Z2 yet.

s640x480

Alisaura said:
Volcano reference FTW :up:

*is a figment of your collective imaginations* :D

I KNEW YOU WOULD STILL BE LURKING.

I KNEW IT.

ALI = OWNED.

:wink:

THE A CLASS

The A class were built between 1984 and 1987. Although subdivided into A1 and A2 types, they are visually almost identical.

s640x480

Alisaura said:
Does reading other forums count as lurking? :p

I prefer Farty Owls, myself :wink:

:lol:

Flowery Twats is my favourite of the anagrams. I'm trying to remember where Fawlty Titties is from. I know it's when Basil's distracted by some woman and answers the phone with "hello, Fawlty Titties", but I'm having a memory blank on what episode that's from!

*can't tell difference between Z and A class trams*

Yes, yes, I know. I phail.

Some might argue that phailing at tram-spotting = winning at life, but I'm not that mean :D

*flees*

*recalls Python sketch about camel-spotters* :giggle:

THE B CLASS

The B class are the last high floor trams built for Melbourne and are essentially an extended, articulated version of the A class. They were built between 1984-94 and are divided into the B1 and B2 subclasses. There are only two B1s, the prototypes; the rest are B2s. They look largely identical, though I can tell them apart by their window shades. All my pictures are of B2s.

s640x480

TranceEnding said:
^^ I like this photo Ax :)

Thanks. :)

Here's one I took while I was waiting for you and Ali before the meetup last months, from down at the intersection rather than up the stairs. It demonstrates the articulation of a B2 rather nicely, I think!

s640x480

Alisaura said:
*can't tell difference between Z and A class trams*

Yes, yes, I know. I phail.

Some might argue that phailing at tram-spotting = winning at life, but I'm not that mean :D

*flees*

*recalls Python sketch about camel-spotters* :giggle:

:lol: all round.

I could point out all the pedantic differences between the Z and the A, like the differences in their doors, mainly with regards to the style of the front-most door and the placement of the middle and rear doors, not to mention the styling of the fronts. In fact, I can illustrate how different they are front on! In the photo below, an A1 is on the left and a Z3 on the right.

s640x480

Alisaura said:
I feel inclined to post pictures of rocks tomorrow, in revenge... :lol:

:wave:

That would be fitting revenge, if not for one problem: I'm nerdy enough that I'll probably find it interesting and ask you to post more. :wink:

THE C CLASS

The C class was the first low floor tram in Melbourne. They were built in 2001-02. I much prefer all previous classes to this class and the following D class.

s640x480

Axver said:
That would be fitting revenge, if not for one problem: I'm nerdy enough that I'll probably find it interesting and ask you to post more. :wink:
Frickin hell, it is impossible to leave!!

You want me to post all 100-odd pics I have of Stonehenge? :evil: From every conceivable angle, with every possible combination of my friends ....

Going, going, gone...

greek2aqm1.jpg

This horseman (hippeis or hyppikon) could probably represent one of Alexander the Great's hetairoi ("companions"), though without their usual lance. Instead he wields a kopis sword, which was the inspiration for the more famous Iberian falcata and eventually also the Gurkha's kuhkuri in the Orient.

THE D CLASS

My picspam is over so soon. :( This is the latest class, divided into the D1 and D2. The D1 class, built in 2002, has three articulated sections; the longer D2 class, built in 2004, has five. I only have photos of D2s thus far.

s640x480

A demonstration of its articulation.

s640x480

sfendonotesls6.jpg

This is a sfendonotes ("slinger"). The best Greek slingers were from Rhodes, though slingers were common light infantry all round. They couldn't be arsed putting on armour, but they wrote things on the stones they'd sling to piss the enemy off, such as "Take this, you rotter" and "Quit hangin' about with Phail Collins".

Alisaura said:

Frickin hell, it is impossible to leave!!

You want me to post all 100-odd pics I have of Stonehenge? :evil: From every conceivable angle, with every possible combination of my friends ....

Going, going, gone...

:lol: Now that might just be overdoing it ... so I'd just post more tram photos. :evil:

Now get off Interference! I don't plan to talk to a zombie tomorrow. :shame:

s640x480

I'm quite fond of that picture, what with part of Flinders Street Station in the background and all. The trams that can be seen are a Z3 in the centre and two B2s in the background.

16012hq5.jpg

This is a Spartan. He wore more than leather jocks and a red cape, and he didn't scream all the time.

I'm pretty sure, however, that he jumped in slow motion.

As you can see, the picture is on a box containing things for people to paint. Such people usually don't own houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom