Torquay Superthread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding

Have you studied Greek mythology or something exciting like that?
Myth, yes - but history is my passion. We're talking tram passion here.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #32
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:26 AM
History.

Though I'm more a 19th/early 20th century guy.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
Refugee

I too, love my history

I love Art History especially ... my memory's a little rusty, but I think I remember quite a bit from the ol' school days. I STILL think about studying it at uni
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

I try to cover the rest of the centuries. Though lately I've been tempted to look further into the Napoleonic period, mainly because I'm falling in love with Jacques-Louis David.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #35
Refugee

I love 20th century history in Yr 11. Russian revolution esp
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #36
Vocal parasite

My speciality is 1840-1980 New Zealand history, which I hope to take all the way to the PhD level. Socio-political and, uh, transport history within that period absolutely fascinates me.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting, how did you become so interested in your own country's history? I had a passing interest in Australia, but most of our history just depresses me.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #38
Refugee

Are you also studying at uni SP??

I'd like to be a professional student, if I had loads of money
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #39
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Interesting, how did you become so interested in your own country's history? I had a passing interest in Australia, but most of our history just depresses me.
I don't think I ever would have become interested in Kiwi history if I'd never actually moved to Australia. Being away from my home for so long sparked an interest in my heritage.

The railfan in me also played a big role. I love Kiwi trains because I grew up around them and wanted to know their history. During my late teenage years, that seriously expanded into a desire to put all that into context and understand the entire time period, not just know about the trains. I kept reading about how political considerations motivated the construction of this or that railway line, so I started to wonder just what was going on in the government, which in turn led to why women got the vote in New Zealand first, which in turn led to social attitudes, etc., etc. You can see how it snowballed.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

I'm at TAFE, doing visual arts. It's not completely what I was expecting, but I'm really enjoying it and the other art students aren't annoying.

My parents paid for me, which was nice... I don't have a job.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The railfan in me also played a big role. I love Kiwi trains because I grew up around them and wanted to know their history. During my late teenage years, that seriously expanded into a desire to put all that into context and understand the entire time period, not just know about the trains. I kept reading about how political considerations motivated the construction of this or that railway line, so I started to wonder just what was going on in the government, which in turn led to why women got the vote in New Zealand first, which in turn led to social attitudes, etc., etc. You can see how it snowballed.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Refreshing to see somebody interested in such an interesting and to my understanding underappreciated subject. Good on you.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #42
Vocal parasite

Quote:
My parents paid for me, which was nice... I don't have a job.
Welcome to the club.

Though I've just started a work placement through uni with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria, so I really hope that can lead somewhere. I don't think I could stand to just do some boring retail job. I need something to keep my brain engaged or I'll go insane.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Exactly. I'd die working retail, unless the job involved a bit of background knowledge in the stock, like a JBs or Dymocks. Not ideal, but I'd take it.

I just want to sell art and start a band. You know, kiddy dreams.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #44
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Refreshing to see somebody interested in such an interesting and to my understanding underappreciated subject. Good on you.
Thank you.

It's really disappointing just how little is done on Kiwi history, really. I suppose it's good for me, as it really gives me a lot of scope as an aspiring academic, but I just cannot believe people have taken so little interest in it. We only gave women the vote first! It's easily one of the most significant events in the history of the human race, so I would have thought some in depth research would have been done on the social conditions that caused that. I can understand the military and economic history being under-done, but not that. It's really interesting to see how in the 1890s, the Canterbury Women's Institute was advancing ideas about the place of women in society that didn't really catch on in the global feminist movement until the 1950s-60s. I've become quite passionate about this ever since I did a research essay on it last year and I could probably go on forever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #45
Refugee

I don't mind my job (in aged care) .. I love helping other people, but I find myself getting seriously bored after a while .. I don't think I've ever had a job that is in any way completely fulfilling

If I could make a living out of taking photo's or doing something creative, I'd be pretty happy

Tags
superthread