Torquay Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TranceEnding said:

:hyper: :hyper: *is excited for Ax* :D

Good for you :applaud: :D

Alisaura said:

*also happy for you* I miss being excited about research... That will be so cool! :D :hyper:

Thank you, both of you! I can't wait for the meeting tomorrow. I'm sure they've got some cool things going. Plus it sounds like their collection of archival documents and photos is amaaaaazing. :drool:

Well, it seems nobody's inventing a time machine in a hurry, so if I can't go back to Lovetown myself, I might as well try to copy someone else's memory so that I THINK I saw the gigs. :wink:

Axver said:

AXXO! I'm excited about this! :lol: Nobody has EVER given me an Australianised -o/-zza/-ie kind of nickname. All through high school, my friends wanted to come up with something, but André just didn't lend itself to anything like that, especially as we already had an Azza, my friend Aaron. Who hated being called Azza, so we used it even more.

I don't think I came up with Saddo though. I think I picked it up off blueeyedgirl.

And Bonnie's a great name. :)

:lol:

So you want me to start calling you that from now on?

Also, thanks about the name. Took me a long time to settle into it, I hated it when I was younger. Now I don't really care - I just don't like the Australianized -o nickname that sometimes comes with it. :wink:

I wasn't too sure who came up with 'Saddo' originally, sorry if I wrongly attributed it to you. :)

Hell, I wish I could go back in time to Lovetown so I could remember myself :lol:

I do remember vividly being up in the stands for all shows thinking WHY CAN'T I BE IN THE :censored: FRONT ROW?!?!?! :sad: :sad: :sad:

*also likes Bonnie as a name*

I see you haven't decided on a new avatar yet? :wink:

I tried to resize a pic for bono_man2002 the other day but it was too detailed to go down to 12k. :( Or else I just didn't know how to make it work... :reject:

TranceEnding said:
Hell, I wish I could go back in time to Lovetown so I could remember myself :lol:

I do remember vividly being up in the stands for all shows thinking WHY CAN'T I BE IN THE :censored: FRONT ROW?!?!?! :sad: :sad: :sad:
It's always the negative things that stick in your mind... :hug:

That's one reason why I deliberately glossed over the less-pleasant parts of the concert weekend when I was writing it all down... it didn't make the good bits stand out any more, but the bad bits are just as blurry now :D

Axver said:
Well, it seems nobody's inventing a time machine in a hurry, so if I can't go back to Lovetown myself, I might as well try to copy someone else's memory so that I THINK I saw the gigs. :wink:
Sign me up for that, too! :yes:

I saw bits of Eternal Sunshine... but I was only half-watching it and it looks like one of those films you really have to pay close attention to. :reject:

The Sad Punk said:
:lol:

So you want me to start calling you that from now on?

Also, thanks about the name. Took me a long time to settle into it, I hated it when I was younger. Now I don't really care - I just don't like the Australianized -o nickname that sometimes comes with it. :wink:

I wasn't too sure who came up with 'Saddo' originally, sorry if I wrongly attributed it to you. :)

:lol: Go ahead! I'm already Ax, Axe, Axy, Assver ...

And what, people have called you Bonno? That's horrible, haha. For a Scottish name, Bonnie seems rather Australianised as it stands! It's not a name I've ever come across much, but I think it's quite nice.

Yeah, I'm not 100% if it was blueeyedgirl's creation either. But I better not take credit for it, because I know I lifted it from someone.

You know, we are a good bunch of genii here - we could make a time machine! Imagine the publicity and the questions asked - are we going back tostop Nazism? The inquisition? The brutal conquest of the Americas? We reply "Oh nah we didn't think of that we were just gonna see U2 live a bunch back in '89".

Of course, even if it worked we probably wouldn't even be able to get tickets.

Axver said:
And what, people have called you Bonno? That's horrible, haha. For a Scottish name, Bonnie seems rather Australianised as it stands! It's not a name I've ever come across much, but I think it's quite nice.

Oh yeah, I get called that every now and again, but not by so many people, which I find a blessing. Just this one mate of mine that lives in Melbourne calls me that constantly. Otherwise just a regular 'Bon' will suffice.

The Sad Punk said:
You know, we are a good bunch of genii here - we could make a time machine! Imagine the publicity and the questions asked - are we going back tostop Nazism? The inquisition? The brutal conquest of the Americas? We reply "Oh nah we didn't think of that we were just gonna see U2 live a bunch back in '89".

:lmao: :lmao:

"We didn't want to change the past too much, you see. We just wanted some other poor bastard to miss out on seeing the gigs rather than us."

Also, I'd like to fix it so that U2 play the eighth Melbourne show and fifth Dublin show that were both originally planned but never went on sale, let alone happened.

The Sad Punk said:
See, this is why it needs to be a time and space machine, a la the TARDIS... so we can just materialise inside the venue! :D Nobody misses out, history is not altered, and we get to see the shows... :drool:

Alisaura said:

It's always the negative things that stick in your mind... :hug:

Yeah, true! That's kinda sad actually :wink:

It kinda dawned on me just then that that's one of the main reasons why I try so hard to be front and centre for concerts (or as close as I can get!) I think I tend to remember events much better when I can see peoples faces properly (which may sound a bit odd!) I always find if I'm too far away, I feel almost disconnected .. hmmm. And it helps to be close enough to take photo's (which also help trigger my memory).

The funny thing is because of that, I can remember more of the concert I saw in Ireland a couple of years earlier :huh:

Alisaura said:

See, this is why it needs to be a time and space machine, a la the TARDIS... so we can just materialise inside the venue! :D Nobody misses out, history is not altered, and we get to see the shows... :drool:

:lol: Alright, this sounds like a winner.

Speaking of winners, I think the Melbourne gig with the best set was probably 13/10: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show787.html

Though 09/10, 12/10, and 14/10 are all pretty incredible too. But 13/10 not only has incredible songs, but flows impeccably.

Alright, I'll shut up. Shit, it's 1am already. I better shut up and go to bed!

Axver said:

:lol: ok, I'll have a look :D

Do you have Cork, Ireland Aug 8 '87? I can never forget the intro of 'Stand by Me' and 'C'mon Everybody' ... :D Sooooo funny, still to this day if I hear 'Stand by Me' (John Lennon) I immediately am reminded of this concert!

I'm just trying to remember whether or not I cried during 'the Unforgettable Fire' :hmm:

I still have trouble listening to this song, as beautiful as it is. Too painful :sad:

TranceEnding said:

:lol: ok, I'll have a look :D

Do you have Cork, Ireland Aug 8 '87? I can never forget the intro of 'Stand by Me' and 'C'mon Everybody' ... :D Sooooo funny, still to this day if I hear 'Stand by Me' (John Lennon) I immediately am reminded of this concert!

Yeah, here's the set: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show611.html :)

Think I have the bootleg for that; I definitely have the 09/10/89 Melbourne gig ...

:moreenvy:

TranceEnding said:
It kinda dawned on me just then that that's one of the main reasons why I try so hard to be front and centre for concerts (or as close as I can get!) I think I tend to remember events much better when I can see peoples faces properly (which may sound a bit odd!) I always find if I'm too far away, I feel almost disconnected .. hmmm. And it helps to be close enough to take photo's (which also help trigger my memory).

The funny thing is because of that, I can remember more of the concert I saw in Ireland a couple of years earlier :huh:
That makes sense... and after going GA for the Vertigo shows, it will be very hard for me to sit further back, I think. I would like to indulge myself in some A res tickets, just to see what it looks like from there, but I'd only do that if I was also seeing other shows GA. If I had a choice... :wink:

I still get shivers remembering the look on Bono's face during Sometimes, and after one of the others... maybe Pride or Streets... one of those ones where the whole audience goes nuts on the Ooh-Ooh-Ooh things :lol:
And Edge during UTEOTW...

*nostalgia*

I definitely remember more of the second show, although that could just be because it was the second show and it over-wrote a lot of the first one in my head, as well as my having a spot on the rail as opposed to three people back.

And crap, it is 1am. After I said I couldn't stay up this late... and I've got a 90 minute drive to my parents' place after working all day tomorrow. *idiot* :der:

Seeya Bonnie! And everyone :wave: :hug:

OK, I think I'm out too. I need some sleep. If we get to a new thread and Vazza's not around to do Bill, WY, then I propose Bumberry in New South Wales.

G'night Ali, Melissa, Saddo, and anybody else who may be around! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom