Torquay Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ooh, that shirt you wore was nice Ax!

I immediately thought of something formal, like a jacket and tie .. maybe that could be overdoing it though :wink:

I'm not sure :hmm:

Man, sorry I haven't been posting too frequently but this computer is a complete and utter kunst. You type two words and the next thing you know there's a big glaring (Not Responding) on the top of the window. Bloody hopeless - I fear I'll be spending a big portion of the weekend cleaning it all up. :(

While the blooming thing is responding, however, I too will congratulate Ax on his top marks. :up: Fantastic stuff!

TranceEnding said:
:sad: you're not Nigel No-friends :no:

I can relate to this somewhat though .. even with some friends, it's hard to find people that are actually interested in the stuff that you like. I always found it a bit isolating being the only one with 'weird' music taste, for instance and it's very difficult to drag anyone along to gigs etc.

But, I'm kinda over that now ... I'm quite happy doin' my own thing. But I understand, it's good to have some company :)

We should all plan to do more stuff together :up:

Going to gigs, now there's an adventure in solitude for me. I can't believe I'll actually know people at all three of the PT gigs. I'm getting used to going to concerts alone. I've already gotten used to nobody sharing my musical tastes. I've been nervous about sharing PT because of so many past experiences of my bands being shot down by all and sundry. It's been an unusual and quite pleasant experience having people like one of my bands!

When I want to go to museums, art galleries, and other attractions though, I find I really need someone with me. Partly it's my bad eyesight. It's one thing to go to a gig and stake out a spot to watch a bunch of people on a clearly defined stage. It's another to wander around a museum wondering where the hell anything is because I can barely see a bloody thing. Far, far too many museums have a habit of placing item descriptions in places that are too hard for me to read.

Certainly everybody from Melbourne on Interference seems really cool and I'd love to do more with you folks. :up:

Hi Sad Punk! Or do I call you Saddo? :scratch:
:wave:

The squid was just for that giant squid frozen in a big chunk of ice exhibit... although I think they kept it around for longer. It's just that cool. :wink:

As far as dress codes go, I am hopeless with that sort of thing. My theory is better to be overdressed than under... if you've got some nice black pants and shoes, I think you'll be okay. :shrug:

Melbourne's answer to every fashion quandry - black! :lol:

mysterious_jen said:
Australian navy should blow those bastards out of our fucking waters . we have the right and the obligation to protect our waters and the whales. same goes for illegal fishing. our diplomacy is such a pussy act.
I finally figured what this acronym meant the other day, so:

QFT. :up:

TranceEnding said:
ooh, that shirt you wore was nice Ax!

I immediately thought of something formal, like a jacket and tie .. maybe that could be overdoing it though :wink:

I'm not sure :hmm:

Thanks! :)

I don't actually have a tie! Well, I have my old high school tie, but you're not getting me to wear that, heh. My more formal option is a black shirt with pinstripes - which means I'll have to dig out some of my non-pinstriped trousers, because all pinstripes I think would just look ridiculous! :lol:

I'm figuring that I won't have to be too formal at the Royal Historical Society. It's mostly a volunteer organisation, and I expect I'll be going there before uni for at least some of my work, so I'd be wearing uni clothes regularly. But ... yeah, this is a big thing for me, so I'm having a quiet panic about all the small details.

Axver said:
I'm figuring that I won't have to be too formal at the Royal Historical Society. It's mostly a volunteer organisation, and I expect I'll be going there before uni for at least some of my work, so I'd be wearing uni clothes regularly. But ... yeah, this is a big thing for me, so I'm having a quiet panic about all the small details.
Know the feeling. :hug:

But yeah, I'm not good with fashion advice. You saw what sort of thing I wear to work... :lol:

Alisaura said:
The squid was just for that giant squid frozen in a big chunk of ice exhibit... although I think they kept it around for longer. It's just that cool. :wink:

As far as dress codes go, I am hopeless with that sort of thing. My theory is better to be overdressed than under... if you've got some nice black pants and shoes, I think you'll be okay. :shrug:

Melbourne's answer to every fashion quandry - black! :lol:

The squid's that cool that they should've kept it forever! I wish I'd seen it. :lol:

I'm glad you mentioned nice black shoes! I got a nice new pair a couple of months ago but would have otherwise forgotten all about them. I'm a one pair of shoes kind of guy and I forget I actually now have two alternative pairs.

Black's my answer to everything too, but I'm a Kiwi; that's what we're meant to wear. :wink:

is torpedo-ing whaling boats illegal?? :hmm:

I made the unfortunate mistake of watching some horrible footage on the late night news recently (can't even bear to think about it now) and just cried myself to sleep.

Wicked people

Also... were people sharing autographs before?

:shifty:

20Nov06Autographs.jpg

:whistle:

The Sad Punk said:
Man, sorry I haven't been posting too frequently but this computer is a complete and utter kunst. You type two words and the next thing you know there's a big glaring (Not Responding) on the top of the window. Bloody hopeless - I fear I'll be spending a big portion of the weekend cleaning it all up. :(

While the blooming thing is responding, however, I too will congratulate Ax on his top marks. :up: Fantastic stuff!

"Complete and utter kunst" = :lol:

I know what you mean though. I have a Windows and a Mac, and the Windows must've been programmed by Phail Collins. Lately it'll just slow to a painful crawl and I'll have to fight it and close a few windows before it wakes up and works decently. It's not like I'm running anything system-intensive either, but it seems getting rid of a few tabs in Firefox gives it a new lease on life for at least a few hours. While I wait for it to figure out what the fuck to do, I switch to the Mac. I prefer the Mac for some tasks and swap between both computers at will, but I prefer the Windows for web browsing. Right now, I'm posting via the Windows while listening to music on the Mac.

And thank you! :)

hey Ax, try not to panic too much (easier said than done!) The black outfit sounds good though :yes: .. smart and professional :D You'll be fine! :hug:

Axver said:
Black's my answer to everything too, but I'm a Kiwi; that's what we're meant to wear. :wink:
:lol:

I think shoes can change the whole genre of an outfit... sneakers make it casual, black shoes smart casual at the least...

Not that I'm suggesting sneakers + black pants. That's the pure domain of call centre guys and others who don't have to impress anyone from the ankles down... :wink:

TranceEnding said:
is torpedo-ing whaling boats illegal?? :hmm:

I made the unfortunate mistake of watching some horrible footage on the late night news recently (can't even bear to think about it now) and just cried myself to sleep.

Wicked people
:hug: :hug:

Alisaura said:

Know the feeling. :hug:

But yeah, I'm not good with fashion advice. You saw what sort of thing I wear to work... :lol:

:lol: That was awesome. I was expecting you'd be wearing a suit or something, but no, Zooropa! That was made of SuperWin.

My fashion sense is probably even more hopeless - hence my question! I just have the neat casual stuff you've seen and that's it, because I find it comfortable. I look like a tool at the beach, a shade overdressed at uni, and hopefully not underdressed tomorrow!

Phail Collins = Bill Gates.

I don't think I saved it, but I saw the BEST photo ever.... Bono and Bill Gates at some meeting/conference in Korea, I think; and Bono's giving a (RED) iPod to the South Korean PM/President/whatever (again, I think)... Bill Gates is sitting next to Bono with his arms crossed and the most hilarious look on his face. Like :huh: and :| and forced:happy:....

:lmao:

TranceEnding said:
hey Ax, try not to panic too much (easier said than done!) The black outfit sounds good though :yes: .. smart and professional :D You'll be fine! :hug:

Thanks. :hug: I'm trying not to panic! All through this evening, I've browsed their website to see what they're up to. A couple of years back, they did a big railway thing for 150 years of Victorian railways! So maybe I won't sound so stupid when I mention I'm right into transport history. I wonder if they'll want anything done on trams? That would make me so happy. Though I'll be content with ANYTHING. I'm getting to do history that will be original and outside the confines of boring undergrad regurgitation! :hyper:

Axver said:
:lol: That was awesome. I was expecting you'd be wearing a suit or something, but no, Zooropa! That was made of SuperWin.
We've got a very relaxed dress code at work, because most of the contracts are call centres... this is one of the very few advantages to working for that mob. I love wearing jeans and t-shirts every day :D

You'll be fine :yes:

The Sad Punk said:
"Saddo" is just what Axxo calls me, I'm happy being called my real name, which is Bonnie. :)
Hi Bonnie :wave:

One of my parents' neighbours is called Bonnie... I think she's over 90 now! :ohmy:

Nice to meet you officially, anyway :D
<--- is Alison

Alisaura said:

:lol:

I think shoes can change the whole genre of an outfit... sneakers make it casual, black shoes smart casual at the least...

Not that I'm suggesting sneakers + black pants. That's the pure domain of call centre guys and others who don't have to impress anyone from the ankles down... :wink:

:lol: I must admit, I'm the definition of the oblivious male who never notices shoes. But I have an excuse, my vision! I think people would be creeped out if I leaned down to have a good look at their shoes, to see how casual or formal an impression they wish their footwear to give!

Axver said:

Thanks. :hug: I'm trying not to panic! All through this evening, I've browsed their website to see what they're up to. A couple of years back, they did a big railway thing for 150 years of Victorian railways! So maybe I won't sound so stupid when I mention I'm right into transport history. I wonder if they'll want anything done on trams? That would make me so happy. Though I'll be content with ANYTHING. I'm getting to do history that will be original and outside the confines of boring undergrad regurgitation! :hyper:

:hyper: :hyper: *is excited for Ax* :D

Good for you :applaud: :D

Axver said:
:lol: I must admit, I'm the definition of the oblivious male who never notices shoes. But I have an excuse, my vision! I think people would be creeped out if I leaned down to have a good look at their shoes, to see how casual or formal an impression they wish their footwear to give!
:giggle:

And I should have pointed out that this shoe-related revelation of mine has been very recent, ie, in the last week or so. :lol:

<--- clueless

The Sad Punk said:

"Saddo" is just what Axxo calls me, I'm happy being called my real name, which is Bonnie. :)

AXXO! I'm excited about this! :lol: Nobody has EVER given me an Australianised -o/-zza/-ie kind of nickname. All through high school, my friends wanted to come up with something, but André just didn't lend itself to anything like that, especially as we already had an Azza, my friend Aaron. Who hated being called Azza, so we used it even more.

I don't think I came up with Saddo though. I think I picked it up off blueeyedgirl.

And Bonnie's a great name. :)

Axver said:
*also happy for you* I miss being excited about research... That will be so cool! :D :hyper:

TranceEnding said:
sometimes, I think my life was designed by Phail Collins :sad:

no, not really .. I dunno :huh:

:hug: No way! By the sounds of it, you've been to cool places and seen awesome things and like Ali says, LOVETOWN.

LOVETOWN.

Can we copy your memory of those gigs to my brain? Like how you can copy an MP3 from one computer to another? Because I could really go for that. Then I'll just track down people who saw the other 43 Lovetown gigs too. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom