Torquay Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
History. :drool:

Though I'm more a 19th/early 20th century guy.

I too, love my history :drool:

I love Art History especially ... my memory's a little rusty, but I think I remember quite a bit from the ol' school days. I STILL think about studying it at uni

I try to cover the rest of the centuries. :) Though lately I've been tempted to look further into the Napoleonic period, mainly because I'm falling in love with Jacques-Louis David.

My speciality is 1840-1980 New Zealand history, which I hope to take all the way to the PhD level. Socio-political and, uh, transport history within that period absolutely fascinates me.

Interesting, how did you become so interested in your own country's history? I had a passing interest in Australia, but most of our history just depresses me.

The Sad Punk said:
Interesting, how did you become so interested in your own country's history? I had a passing interest in Australia, but most of our history just depresses me.

I don't think I ever would have become interested in Kiwi history if I'd never actually moved to Australia. Being away from my home for so long sparked an interest in my heritage.

The railfan in me also played a big role. I love Kiwi trains because I grew up around them and wanted to know their history. During my late teenage years, that seriously expanded into a desire to put all that into context and understand the entire time period, not just know about the trains. I kept reading about how political considerations motivated the construction of this or that railway line, so I started to wonder just what was going on in the government, which in turn led to why women got the vote in New Zealand first, which in turn led to social attitudes, etc., etc. You can see how it snowballed.

I'm at TAFE, doing visual arts. It's not completely what I was expecting, but I'm really enjoying it and the other art students aren't annoying.

My parents paid for me, which was nice... I don't have a job. :(

The railfan in me also played a big role. I love Kiwi trains because I grew up around them and wanted to know their history. During my late teenage years, that seriously expanded into a desire to put all that into context and understand the entire time period, not just know about the trains. I kept reading about how political considerations motivated the construction of this or that railway line, so I started to wonder just what was going on in the government, which in turn led to why women got the vote in New Zealand first, which in turn led to social attitudes, etc., etc. You can see how it snowballed.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Refreshing to see somebody interested in such an interesting and to my understanding underappreciated subject. Good on you. :up:

The Sad Punk said:
My parents paid for me, which was nice... I don't have a job. :(

Welcome to the club.

Though I've just started a work placement through uni with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria, so I really hope that can lead somewhere. I don't think I could stand to just do some boring retail job. I need something to keep my brain engaged or I'll go insane.

Exactly. I'd die working retail, unless the job involved a bit of background knowledge in the stock, like a JBs or Dymocks. Not ideal, but I'd take it.

I just want to sell art and start a band. You know, kiddy dreams.

The Sad Punk said:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Refreshing to see somebody interested in such an interesting and to my understanding underappreciated subject. Good on you. :up:

Thank you. :)

It's really disappointing just how little is done on Kiwi history, really. I suppose it's good for me, as it really gives me a lot of scope as an aspiring academic, but I just cannot believe people have taken so little interest in it. We only gave women the vote first! It's easily one of the most significant events in the history of the human race, so I would have thought some in depth research would have been done on the social conditions that caused that. I can understand the military and economic history being under-done, but not that. It's really interesting to see how in the 1890s, the Canterbury Women's Institute was advancing ideas about the place of women in society that didn't really catch on in the global feminist movement until the 1950s-60s. I've become quite passionate about this ever since I did a research essay on it last year and I could probably go on forever.

I don't mind my job (in aged care) .. I love helping other people, but I find myself getting seriously bored after a while .. I don't think I've ever had a job that is in any way completely fulfilling :sad:

If I could make a living out of taking photo's or doing something creative, I'd be pretty happy :)

The Sad Punk said:
Exactly. I'd die working retail, unless the job involved a bit of background knowledge in the stock, like a JBs or Dymocks. Not ideal, but I'd take it.

I just want to sell art and start a band. You know, kiddy dreams.

Yeah, I could handle a JB or a Dymocks. Some quiet little secondhand shop would be even better.

All I really want to do is research history and write a lot. Maybe give lectures too. Just work in a university and have Dr before my name.

Or, yeah, start a band.

Axver said:

Thank you. :)

It's really disappointing just how little is done on Kiwi history, really. I suppose it's good for me, as it really gives me a lot of scope as an aspiring academic, but I just cannot believe people have taken so little interest in it. We only gave women the vote first! It's easily one of the most significant events in the history of the human race, so I would have thought some in depth research would have been done on the social conditions that caused that. I can understand the military and economic history being under-done, but not that. It's really interesting to see how in the 1890s, the Canterbury Women's Institute was advancing ideas about the place of women in society that didn't really catch on in the global feminist movement until the 1950s-60s. I've become quite passionate about this ever since I did a research essay on it last year and I could probably go on forever.

That sounds pretty fascinating, wouldn't mind reading more on it sometime. I imagine my sister might be able to lecture me a bit about it, since she did feminism studies a while back.

Certainly, there doesn't seem to be a big thing about NZ allowing women to vote so early, especially in an international context - yet if it were the US or the English or the French or even the Aussies we'd never hear the end of it.

We need your Kiwi modesty.

With that, I'll be off to vamos - surprising how time flies. Guess I'll have a snooze on the bus tomorrow.

Nighty night, both of you. :wave: Nice to meet you, Trance!

Screwtape2 said:

You studied human behavior right?

educational leadership and policy studies, to be specific. but in that i took a few courses on college student development. we explored psychosocial and cognitive development, as well as temperaments. it was specific to college students because it is such a time of development, however many theories can be applied to people outside of college as well.

The Sad Punk said:
That sounds pretty fascinating, wouldn't mind reading more on it sometime. I imagine my sister might be able to lecture me a bit about it, since she did feminism studies a while back.

Certainly, there doesn't seem to be a big thing about NZ allowing women to vote so early, especially in an international context - yet if it were the US or the English or the French or even the Aussies we'd never hear the end of it.

We need your Kiwi modesty.

With that, I'll be off to vamos - surprising how time flies. Guess I'll have a snooze on the bus tomorrow.

Nighty night, both of you. :wave: Nice to meet you, Trance!

Thanks. :) It's especially surprising how little is made of it in an international context given that a good degree of the impetus for the vote was imported from America, it succeeded in an astonishingly short period of time, and that the Kiwi success was a global inspiration. Part of the reason Aussie women were the second in the world to vote was due to New Zealand, and Kiwi suffragists - especially Kate Sheppard, one of my historical heroes - were very influential overseas.

I guess part of it is that New Zealand in general doesn't make too much of its history. We're proud of a lot of it, but I don't think we've ever really trumpeted it. I guess because we don't have our politics tied to glorious historical achievements like a lot of countries do. I can't quite explain the disparity between Kiwi and Aussie attitudes though.

Anyhow, have a good night! :wave:

unico said:
so...are we sharing photos of what we study at university? should i post photos of drunk college students? yes...i studied college students.

:lol:

It seems to be a mix of talking about academic interests and posting photos of stuff vaguely related that we enjoy.

Coming up next, Kiwi trains. :drool:

unico said:
:sick: ever since thora posted that picture of the donut, i've had a craving. today i had two...i should've just stuck with one, but they were two for $1. i'm ready to take a nap.

Damnit, now I want to hop on the tram to the bakery and get their five doughnuts for $2 deal. Or a big jam doughnut from the other bakery for $3. Sure, that's a comparative ripoff, but BIG JAM DOUGHNUTS.

Screwtape2 said:
:wave:

I start my creative writing class in an hour and a half. :hyper:

Hey Screwtape! :wave:

I bet you're looking forward to that. Sounds awesome. I hope you share Boomerang III with us. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom