tornado terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
There is a tornado warning for my county for the next hour! I took a chance and went to a meeting at church, and I just came home. I'm tired, I wanted my bedtime milkie, etc, etc........Hopefully we'll survive this one.

:hug: verte

yeah where are you from? is it an actual warning or just a tornado watch?

In a prior life (1974), I spent some time in Arkansas with my former wife and in-laws...that was the season that tornados tore up Jonesboro...every night, in Bonanza, a little hollow outside Fort Smith, we would make the run for the neighbor's cellar...not an adventure that I would ever, ever care to experience again !!!

:(

Glad it's over and you're okay :hug: I hate tornado warnings. They're so much scarier than hurricanes because there is little or no warning:yikes:

U2Kitten said:
Glad it's over and you're okay :hug: I hate tornado warnings. They're so much scarier than hurricanes because there is little or no warning:yikes:

Mmhm. They really, really suck. I've had one too many scary experiences with them. Thankfully, I've never actually experienced a tornado-they've developed close enough to my town, but not directly in my town...but they're still scary experiences nonetheless.

See why I like winter so much now, people?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

See why I like winter so much now, people?

lol, Angela, I have two words that might change your mind, were you ever to experience them: LAKE EFFECT

You see, the problem with Michigan is that we get ALL of the most unpleasant weather in one little state. In winter, there's three feet of lake effect snow compliments of Lake Michigan mixed with -20s windchill and icy rain; spring = severe storms sometimes called inland hurricanes b/c based on their pressure, ground speed, precip, and rotation they qualify; summer = 95 and humid; and fall = severe weather season, read: TORNADOES

does anyone NOT like living in Florida?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
lol, Angela, I have two words that might change your mind, were you ever to experience them: LAKE EFFECT

You see, the problem with Michigan is that we get ALL of the most unpleasant weather in one little state. In winter, there's three feet of lake effect snow compliments of Lake Michigan mixed with -20s windchill and icy rain;

Heh, I'd love that, actually. I love snowstorms.

Yes, I know I'm weird.

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
spring = severe storms sometimes called inland hurricanes b/c based on their pressure, ground speed, precip, and rotation they qualify; summer = 95 and humid; and fall = severe weather season, read: TORNADOES

does anyone NOT like living in Florida?

That, on the other hand, would suck majorly. Yeah.

Angela

Angela, I'm sorry you've had to have so many scary experiences in tornado alley :( :hug: I've been terrified with a few warnings. When the TV says one is coming, and you really don't know what to do, run? What if it flips your car over or gets you outside? Stay? What if it gets your house? Those are some horrifying moments seeing where it will go:no: The closest one hit was about 4 miles away. Waiting and worrying is awful. There was one on TV just last night over the border in NC. It must have been the same system that came your way, Verte.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Angela, I'm sorry you've had to have so many scary experiences in tornado alley :( :hug: I've been terrified with a few warnings. When the TV says one is coming, and you really don't know what to do, run? What if it flips your car over or gets you outside? Stay? What if it gets your house? Those are some horrifying moments seeing where it will go:no:

Thanks. It's not a fun experience at all. I used to live in a trailer park when I was a kid, and when we had tornado warnings there, obviously the trailers didn't have basements, so we had to go to the clubhouse and hang out down there, which meant we had to run outside in the nasty weather over to the building (which, luckily, wasn't too far away, and since we were so scared, we'd run like mad, so we were there in no time). Or we'd go to where my dad worked and hang out in the basement there.

And it really sucked in my old town, 'cause it didn't have tornado sirens. And one night, we had a tornado watch, and we got a storm that caused the power to go out. Had a tornado warning been issued, I wouldn't have known about it, 'cause there'd have been no sirens to alert us. And it was even scarier considering my parents weren't home at the time (I hate severe storms as it is, but it's even worse when my entire family is not at home with me)-they were on their way home, but I wanted them there with me right then. Thankfully, though, we didn't get a tornado warning that night.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
The closest one hit was about 4 miles away. Waiting and worrying is awful. There was one on TV just last night over the border in NC. It must have been the same system that came your way, Verte.

Oh, really? I didn't know one had hit in North Carolina and came over. Seems like you escaped it, though, so that's good to hear. :hug:.

Waiting and worrying is the worst, yes. I get nervous when a tornado watch is issued-I keep flipping over to see what's going on, I can't sit still, I keep looking out the window...it sucks. And then if we get a tornado warning...well, I've lost any sense of calm then.

Angela

One didn't actually touch down, but they said one was sighted and they gave the warning so it was still scary :yikes: I know what you mean, I had a trailer too. The first thing they say is, get out of your trailer, but where? If you go outside, it might blow over on you, or someone else's might. Then if you take off in the car, there's that worry. The only thing to do is sit tight and shiver with fear and pray it passes you by :|

I don't know how many tornado warnings and watches I've put up with. They are very nerve-wracking. You don't know if you're going to get hit, and unlike hurricanes, they come on so fast that you have no time to prepare for cover. Ugh.:yuck: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

U2Kitten said:
When the TV says one is coming, and you really don't know what to do, run? What if it flips your car over or gets you outside? Stay? What if it gets your house?

If you're in a house/trailer without a basement and REALLY don't want to go outside, go to the strongest part of the house or a shower stall. If you're outside DO NOT get in a car or any vehicle. If you're in a vehicle GET OUT of it. It may seem against instinct, but the vehicle can get picked up and dropped, crashed by the wind, or hit with debris and will explode and you'll have no chance. If you can't get in a building, either lay flat in a ditch or low place, or get under some support like a bridge. Your best bet is to avoid getting in a vehicle at all costs. The tornado can top your groundspeed as well as cause enough damage and debris that escaping is impossible.

I think the worse tornado situation I've ever been in was while tent camping. You just never feel safe in a tent! We had been hiking at Pyramid Point along Lake Michigan and left b/c a storm was blowing in. On the way out we saw what we thought could be a funnel cloud. When we got back to the campground, the ranger said to get our asses into the bathroom if he blew the horn. That storm blew the best part Pyramid Point right into the Lake. Luckily it didn't come close enough to the campground for us to be in serious danger.

The next summer though, we had to leave the tents because of the wind and trees falling. The storm wasn't dropping tornadoes, so we drove to the beach and watched it move in over the Lake, very cool!

how odd, Verte does not live that far from me and our weather today was so different. I saw snow flurries today, which means this was the first sign of any snow that I have seen since last Jan when Zoney! and I went to Charlotte to see Coldplay.

verte76 said:
I don't know how many tornado warnings and watches I've put up with. They are very nerve-wracking. You don't know if you're going to get hit, and unlike hurricanes, they come on so fast that you have no time to prepare for cover. Ugh.:yuck: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I know what you mean verte. Last summer there were 3 reports of tornado's in my immediate area (not too far from our airport which is where doppler radar is) I was standing in at my window looking out a patch of blue sky while all around were dark clouds and warnings all over the tv. The sun was shinning and I thought it was the calm before the perverbial storm. But remarkably nothing happened and it all passed over. I could never stay in a trailer, they are tornado magnets. We had tornado warnings this past week,also. It's going to get scarrier this spring. :yikes: Hunker down and practise diving into the bathtub. Stay safe :heart:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If you're in a house/trailer without a basement and REALLY don't want to go outside, go to the strongest part of the house or a shower stall. If you're outside DO NOT get in a car or any vehicle. If you're in a vehicle GET OUT of it. It may seem against instinct, but the vehicle can get picked up and dropped, crashed by the wind, or hit with debris and will explode and you'll have no chance. If you can't get in a building, either lay flat in a ditch or low place, or get under some support like a bridge. Your best bet is to avoid getting in a vehicle at all costs. The tornado can top your groundspeed as well as cause enough damage and debris that escaping is impossible.

Yes.

Verte, exactly, that's the terrifying part. I've seen the footage of the Oklahoma City tornado of '99...:tsk:. Christ, that has to be the worst feeling in the world, seeing something that monstrous, that deadly, that frightening coming straight toward you and knowing there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. I hope to god I never experience anything like that.

U2Kitten...yep, that's exactly what I do, sit tight, shaking like mad, and praying really hard that everything blows over quickly and everyone and everything comes out okay. I remember the night my sister and I were hunkered down in our basement during a tornado warning-power'd gone out then, too, and there was a huge tornado that had hit a nearby town. After it was all over, when we came back upstairs, I was so relieved to see our house still standing, and so glad to see the worst of it had all missed us, and was so glad to be okay, that I sat down and was just shaking for a while. My parents had to work that night, and I would not calm down until they got home and I knew they were all right.

But see, that's why I always feel better when my whole family's with me. The best part is hearing my dad console me-he always knows exactly how to make me feel less afraid. If he doesn't look too worried, then I feel a little better.

I'm still thankful to my sister for that night, though. She was the one who glanced outside, noticed the sky looking bad, and said, "Maybe we should head downstairs, just in case". I'd never noticed the sky that day, and at first, I didn't think the storm was coming our way, so it took me a couple minutes to agree to head downstairs. But now I'm very glad we did.

Angela

I love storms, I get a real kick out of it, even being in the tents during storms. It's sick, I know, but two years ago I was headed to meteorology school at the University of Oklahoma and I think my storm fetish will remain with me always. Still, the one thing that always gets me is that loud, monsterous sucking sound in the drains. Weird!

I love learning about severe weather. I like watching the Weather Channel during days when severe weather's supposed to occur-obviously I don't want anyone to be hurt or killed, or for it to be really bad, but I do like watching just because the development involved and everything is rather interesting.

I just don't like it when I'm actually experiencing it.

Angela

Angela and your sister :hug: I'm sure you were terrified and it's something you'll both always remember and tell about when you're old ladies many years from now.

Sue, that's weird how the sky looks when one is around. I never expected to see the sun and those clouds in the same sky until one was happening a few miles away. I didn't find out until later that's what caused it:yikes:

Yeah Verte, at least with hurricanes they warn you days ahead of time. Only we've had so many false alarms around here, when the bad one came last fall a lot of people weren't prepared. It was like the boy who cried wolf.

Stay safe everybody!

Last edited:
To Verte and the rest of you in Tornado 'land'

"...stay safe tonight..." and the next day, and the next ...etc :yikes: :hug: s

The first time I ever heard a Tornado WAtch, let alone a Warning -which it turned into and hit Ft Lee NJ--was in the late '80's/early '90's.

NYC, with it's five burroughs is quite a Large Area, so it could landed ??. But FT Lee, NJ is only a mile West & Half-Mile South of where I lived in Washington Heights [at the time]. :yikes: :faint:
That was close enough! My windows faced totally in the opposite direction of Ft Lee- NE/E/SE. So saw nothing {i'm glad].

Back
Top Bottom