Tornado Chasers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #16
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 01:02 AM
I agree HeartlandGirl, that only qualified professionals or people with proper training should be the ones doing the storm chasing.

If I were to ever go storm chasing, it would be with the professionals (like the ones I was talking about that you see on TV who work in conjunction with the weather service). It is very dangerous for untrained people to be out in the storms, and they can get in the way of the professionals.

A lot of information is collected and studied from the type of storm chases that I am talking about, and ways of predicting tornadoes are improved by gathering this information, and warning people in the path of the storm.

Not only do I agree that only qualified professionals should be out during these situations, but I would be too scared to go out in the storms by myself, not having the training or equipment to know where the storm was going. I would only want to be with fully trained storm chasers who knew what they were doing.

Old 07-22-2002, 02:14 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I LOVE storms! They are so exciting! My dad and I used to watch them coming in, too. The front of the squall line is the coolest to watch cuz that's where you see all of the scary looking clouds.

I've seen 2 funnel clouds. One was a cold air funnel that I saw from my back yard. The whole neighborhood congregated out on the street to watch it. It was really skinny and delicate...it looked kind of like a twisted rat tail or something. The second one I saw was just this spring up at college. That one was definitely not a cold air funnel, as it did eventually touch down.

I've also seen one tornado. My high school softball team had just got done playing a game. We had played the varsity game first because there was a chance of storms, and after the varsity game, they decided not to play the JV game because the clouds were starting to look pretty scary. We had to take pictures for the newspaper before we left, and as we were lining up one of my teammates just suddenly exclaimed, "Oh my god!" and she pointed towards the horizon. It was quite a ways away from us, but we could all see plain as day that there was a tornado on the ground. Needless to say, we cleared the field pretty fast. We later learned that the same tornado had touched down on someone's farm and completely destroyed their house, barns, and all other standing buildings on the farm.

Old 07-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:02 AM

I hope you don't think I was trying to lecture you, ABEL! There is definitely a big difference between just hopping in your car, driving toward a storm and tagging along with professionals. I know that there are ways for amateurs to help out professionals. That would be the safer way to go, I think!
Old 07-22-2002, 06:00 PM   #19
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 01:02 AM

nah I don't think you were trying to lecture me HeartlandGirl, I just didn't want anyone else trying to go out on their own storm chasing and getting into a dangerous situation like your friend
Old 07-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I would never go storm chasing, I'd be too terrified! Whenever there's a tornado warning I flee straight for the basement and cower there until all is clear. I'll never forget the time I almost ran into one when a friend of mine was helping me move. We were in her brother's pickup out in the middle of the Iowa countryside on one of those hot, sticky summer days and all of a sudden the sky turned black and we saw what looked like a funnel cloud in the distance! As soon as we could we turned onto a side road going away from where we thought the funnel cloud was. Fortunately we were able to avoid it.