Tornado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Yeah, so a tornado touched down about a mile from home yesterday and destroyed everything in it's path - homes, trees, cars etc.

Thank heavens nothing directly impacted me. But if the tornado would have zigged instead of zagged, I'd probably be homeless or dead.

I do not live in tornado alley (midwest). I live about 30 minutes north of Manhattan. We don't get tornadoes - ever.

I dorve on a highway this morning to get to work and it looked like a dinasaur just went beserk and cut down all the trees. unreal.

Oh well, anyone have any "how to survive a tornado" advice should this happen again?

Your supposed to go down to the lowest level of your house, preferably the basement under the stairs. or in a bathtub or door way away from ofcourse windows.

I am deathly affraid of even seeing a tornado.:ohmy:

:ohmy: :ohmy: we aren't suppose to have tornados in the northeast, but it seems like they are more frequent...I hate them they are so scary!! I am so glad you are ok...they are so awful. Some touched down in northern Mass too. Get to the lowest level of your home if possible..if not a bathroom, lay in the tub and throw a mattress, pillow and blankets over yourself....under an interstate bridge..a ditch if outside and nowhere else to go (lay flat and cover your head).

I saw a show on TV about tornados...I think it was a family of 5-6...2 parents, a couple kids, grandma and a dog...anyway a tornado was going to hit their house, they ran into the bathroom and covered themselves....the dog sensed the danger and threw himself ontop of all the people to protect them...the mirror shattered and hit the dog.:sad: ...he was very badly injured but wouldn't leave his family until the danger passed.....poor guy, but he survived.

Last edited:
scary thing is, i didn't even hear it. about a mile away and i had no clue until i saw it on the news about 15 minutes after it happened.

The weird thing was, it was thundering all day, constant slight muffled thunder w/ little to no rain.

Im sorry to hear about what happened Numb. Hope noone was seriously hurt. Seems like tornados used to only be common in the midwest. Thankfully in Delaware we haven't encountered any but the way the weather is who knows what will happen? :shrug:

Numb1075 said:
scary thing is, i didn't even hear it. about a mile away and i had no clue until i saw it on the news about 15 minutes after it happened.

The weird thing was, it was thundering all day, constant slight muffled thunder w/ little to no rain.

Hope your little boy was ok. I know what that is like too. Being more afraid for your kids than yourself.

Wow. :yikes: Tornadoes are frightening. Everyone else's advice is great. Stay low and don't go near power lines.

I lived through a tornado in MN about 5 years ago - absolutely terrifying.

Thankfully you're okay!

I live in tornado alley, and basically what everybody else said is good to do. If you have one, go to the basement. If not, a center room in the house like a bathroom is good too, because you have the protection of the bathtub and you should bring a blanket or pillow etc. to cover your head with, just incase the tornado rips the roof off.. Also if you have time, bring a portable radio or tv incase the power goes out, so you'll be able to know where the storm is and what exactly is happening outside. Stay away from windows of course, and don't be like the goofy people here who decide to go outside and look at them lol.

Last edited:
:ohmy: numb!!! ACK!!! :yikes:

Phew-- glad you are all ok!

and my sib[last night] said it wasn't a twister.
we have friends a few miles from there.

I wish she WAS right !!!

there was the one about ?7 yrs ago at Fort Lee NJ about 1 1/2 miles away from me then, in Way-way-upper Manhattan.
and the one that was at least a half funnel-- just a few miles into NJ west of hoboken back this May! I saw the photo on the web.:yikes:

thanks for the advice, heartand Intrfrbcer's

*goes to kick an SUV*

AngelofHarlem01 said:
and don't be like the goofy people here who decide to go outside and look at them lol.
....I'm one of those people :reject:

I'm just so used to them, every summer it's just one tornado warning after the other. I love storms, and I tend to go outside and watch the wind whip things around and watch the lightning, but I've yet to ever see a funnel cloud with my own eyes. However, if I did, I can assure you I'd go hide someplace safe :wink:

I'm sorry that happened so close to you Numb :hug:

The weather this year is quite odd. I'm in New Brunswick Canada, which is on the east coast and a couple weeks ago there was a tornado that touched down in the central part of the province. :yikes: Then they're speculating that another touched down last weekend.. :ohmy:

I hope it doesn't keep going like this

Back
Top Bottom