Tori's To Venus And Back is truly gorgeous!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Listening to this album this morning, I'm once again realizing how subtly beautiful these songs are! Lust, Glory of the 80s, Datura, Riot Proof, Spring Haze... amazing stuff, so atmospheric and many of these songs have a great slow groove going... perfect for road trips thru beautiful countryside. It's like songs on these album, if I can steal Edge's quote here, they just arrive. Not that American Doll Posse is bad and I'm not trying to rag on the newer album but it would be cool if she leaves the more obvious style of songs like Big Wheel, Teenage Hustling, Bouncing etc. and goes and creates another atmospheric masterpiece like Venus.

:drool:

hey you
gender nectar
sifting through the grain of gold
tripping at your door
is that you.
alpha in her blood
and when the woman lies
you don’t believe her

rolling and unrolling
coiling emerging
running free
running through
the underworld
into your room

:combust:

ETA: I had no idea those were the lyrics until I looked them up! :lol:

Apart from Venus, you're missing From The Choirgirl Hotel, Strange Little Girls and The Beekeeper. Choirgirl is awesome! :drool:

I only have "Little Earthquakes" and "American Doll Posse" so far.:reject: I really like them both. I definitely want to branch out and get more. Where should I go next?

Interesting--you have her very first and her most recent records. There's a lot in between covering different styles.

For the Little Earthquakes fan in you, go with Under the Pink next. In fact, as a general rule, I think going in order is a good way to go with Tori.

If you like the more mellow songs from ADP, I'd get Scarlet's Walk next, which I think is one of her masterpieces. I predict Zootles will say go with The Beekeeper next.

If you want to hear Tori dabbling in experimental/electronica, try From the Choirgirl Hotel.

Or if you just want Tori at her darkest weirdest best + harpsichord, go with my personal favorite, Boys for Pele. :)

:lol: Nah... I realize that the Beekeeper has it's flaws.

I missed that revelation!

Yeah, I think Under the Pink or Scarlet's Walk is the way to go. As much as I love Pele, most seem to think it's an acquired taste. UTP and SW (along with LE), though quite different from each other, are in many ways classic Tori.

TVAB is a funny one in Tori's catalogue. I think it's got some awesome tracks and there are no real weak songs, but it's the only album of hers that, to my ears, lacks unity and simply doesn't gel together as an album.

That said, I could listen to Suede over and over again all day, :love: It's one of Tori's most hypnotic, mesmerising songs.

TVAB is a funny one in Tori's catalogue. I think it's got some awesome tracks and there are no real weak songs, but it's the only album of hers that, to my ears, lacks unity and simply doesn't gel together as an album.

I tend to agree. I don't listen to it much though I loved it when it came out. I love the songs live.

And it has, hands down, the best artwork of any of her records, imo.

I don't have a whole lot to add, except that I could listen to "Datura" for days. And to me, the album does form a coherent whole. The only song I can't find space for is "Juarez."

Well, I think so. It's not extraordinary or anything--kind of simple actually--but nice compared to her others, which I really dislike for the most part. She just looks good. :cute: Here's a couple. The others I found are too big.

toricvr.jpg

venus3.jpg

I don't have a whole lot to add, except that I could listen to "Datura" for days. And to me, the album does form a coherent whole. The only song I can't find space for is "Juarez."

HeartlandGirl?! :shocked:

:wave:

I didn't like Juarez until I heard it live. It totally rocked.

Not that I can really judge, (I only got into Tori about 2 months ago)...

But I've listened to a few albums and here's how I'd rate them:

1. Little Earthquakes
2. To Venus And Back (Precious Things Live On Disc 2 :love:)
3. Under The Pink
4. American Doll Posse

Not that I completely dislike ADP, I just find it a bit patchy compared to the others. I think I need to go back and listen to it again!

I just brought the Live From Sunny Florida DVD too.

Wow, bono_man2002, it's only been 2 months since you started listening to her??? You've heard a lot of albums then in that short period! :ohmy: Good ranking btw! :up:

Ummmm, yeah Zoots. You're the one that started this thread. :ohmy:

Well I love Datura! :madspit: :wink:

Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the lyrics? Is it mentioned in the lyrics? :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom