Tori Amos: Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:16 AM
I haven't listened to Tori in forever. I think if I do I'll feel compelled to run out and buy this dvd!

Bad enough I can't buy Moz's new one, or any of the other 500 cds I want!

Old 05-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
I watched the second half last night. It's really pretty incredible. Professional Widow followed by I Can't See New York are to die for. I don't buy a lot of concert DVDs because most of the people I like are great live but not necessarily the kind of thing I would watch over and over on DVD. But Tori is known for her live shows much more than she is for her records and I love watching her. In fact, one of the irritating things about the DVD is that the camera person tried too hard to be creative sometimes with weird camera angles and stuff and I did find myself yelling at the TV, "Just give us a close up of Tori and STAY THERE!" I also didn't like what she was wearing (one of those flowy complicated Tori outfits) because you can't see her body very well and watching her body movements is one of the fascinating things about her live performance.

Oh, and Cooling is stunning. It's THE performance I would use to turn someone on to Tori.

Just starting to listen to some of the new audio tracks this morning. The first song, Ruby through the Looking Glass, is beautiful--classic Tori. I still don't like Tombigbee--I didn't like it when I heard it live and now upon repeated listenings I still don't care for it.

Anyway, I hope you all can pick it up. It is truly worth it.

I was thinking last night that the reason Tori, U2 and Radiohead are my all-time favorites is because none of them have ever made a record I didn't like.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:16 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I finally purchased this last week, and mofo and I watched it on Friday night. Very, very good DVD as far as the concert goes. I haven't yet investigated any of the extras or listened to the bonus CD, but I plan to soon.

I agree that Tori's outfit was distracting in a not-so-good way. And I kept wanting her to go do something else with her hair. I guess that's all because I saw a performance she did for (I think) Oprah's channel where she looked absolutely stunning. Alas, it's about the songs, isn't it?

Cooling was breathtaking, as was I Can't See New York. All of the songs I was looking forward to were wonderful with not one disappointment. Glad I own this, as my old VHS tapes of Tori Unplugged and other various performances probably won't last much longer.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:52 AM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:16 AM
I consider myself a Tori Amos fan, but I admit that I dont have all her albums and dont know all the songs. That being said, I still really enjoyed the DVD. I knew beforehand that Tori Amos was supposed to do great concerts, and that was definitely the case.

On a side note:

After seeing Tori's dress/outfit/costume, I suddenly wanted to buy a cape.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I have been playing the bonus audio tracks nonstop. I absolutely love all the songs, with Tombigbee still being my least favorite but it's grown on me a bit. The song that has emerged as the one that I can't get out of my head is Apollo's Frock with that gorgeous refrain that just kept sneaking up on me until I fell in love with it:

you could never see
you could never see
Apollo's frock
was always as beautiful
always as beautiful as
the saddest rainstorm
Apollo your frock
was always as beautiful
always as beautiful
as your sister's
that your light shined on

I agree that Tori's outfit was distracting in a not-so-good way. And I kept wanting her to go do something else with her hair. I guess that's all because I saw a performance she did for (I think) Oprah's channel where she looked absolutely stunning. Alas, it's about the songs, isn't it?

I hope she gets a new stylist for the next tour. Her hair looked awful and then when the stylist came out and messed with it again it got worse! Yes, it's about the songs, yet I need my Tori to look awesome too. Since no one can take their eyes off her when she's onstage, she MUST look faboo!

I consider myself a Tori Amos fan, but I admit that I dont have all her albums and dont know all the songs. That being said, I still really enjoyed the DVD. I knew beforehand that Tori Amos was supposed to do great concerts, and that was definitely the case.

mofo - if you need to catch up on Tori, I'd be happy to bring you up to date with a mix.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and as for the rest of the bonus material...I haven't been able to get through the interview because...well, let's be honest...Tori sounds kind of insane when she talks.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:51 AM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

mofo - if you need to catch up on Tori, I'd be happy to bring you up to date with a mix. [/B]
That's cool of you. I'm doing alright actually, HeartlandGirl made sure I ripped a bunch of songs from some of her CD's when she was here last week. I realized that in all actuality, I'm only missing 2 of her albums. I just dont know most of the songs as well as I should. I'm trying to catch myself up.

I've been getting more and more back into her lately. I received Tales of a Librarian for Christmas, and finally got Little Earthquakes on CD a month or so ago. (I only had it recorded on minidisc before)

Anyways, great stuff.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm all for Tori getting a new stylist the next time around. I can handle her strange outfits better than bad hair. Her stylist seemed to be going for this fake dreadlock look, but why do that when Tori has such beautiful hair?

Glad to hear that the bonus CD is excellent! I still haven't listened to it. And yeah, when Tori talks, I'm left scratching my head...a lot.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

That's cool of you. I'm doing alright actually, HeartlandGirl made sure I ripped a bunch of songs from some of her CD's when she was here last week.
Interferencers having Tori fun without me.

Old 06-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I listened to Scarlet's Hidden Treasures the other night, joyful. Wow. Every song is absolutely stunning! (I even like Tombigbee--maybe it's just the Oklahoma mention ). I would have paid the money I spent on the DVD just for this CD. I think my favorites so far are Ruby Through the Looking-Glass, Apollo's Frock, and Indian Summer.

The other Tori fans in my office suite have been notified that they need to purchase the DVD/CD as soon as possible!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I listened to Scarlet's Hidden Treasures the other night, joyful. Wow. Every song is absolutely stunning!
Yay! My housemate said these songs already feel like instant Tori classics, songs we've known and loved forever. We listen to it a couple of times everyday. Bug a Martini makes me feel like I'm at a 60's pool party.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

I just listened to all the songs for the first time. I immediately loved all of them, excluding Bug a Martini (or martian, whichever you prefer ) which I still liked.

Indian Summer is awesome, so is Ruby Through the Looking Glass!

Apollo's Frock made me think I needed to write a song called, Tori's Cape, to honor the DVD
Old 06-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Mofo needs a cape and I need a picture of mofo in his cape.

And I need a polka dot bikini to go with my martini.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Does it have her conversing with the audience?

foray
Old 06-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Does it have her conversing with the audience?

foray
It has her giving the finger to the audience, lol...

Seriously, she talks a little and there are some nice adlibbed songs--it was the last show of the tour so there are some nice moments around that. You see her backstage dancing with her daughter before the show and there are interviews with her parents, etc. I still haven't seen all the bonus material yet.