Tori Amos - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2002, 06:02 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:01 PM
HG > I agree with you about her fans. I was shocked the first time I went to a concert and guessed that the average age of the audience was 16-21, and there I was just 3 years older than Tori. I couldn't figure out why she attracted such a young audience when I feel her music speaks to me as a mature woman. But then I realized that a huge part of her fan base comes from her work with RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) that Tori founded after her own rape experience. Many young teenagers who've been raped/abused feel that Tori's music, and Tori as a person, were the first things that helped them deal with those issues, and as a result there tends to be that worshipful element for a significant part of the fanbase. I went to one Meet & Greet and witnessed that Tori has a personal relationship with a lot of her fans. She invites them backstage for tea, she used to have them over to her house until that got out of control. I observed her counseling one poor girl for a really long time, almost like a therapist.

I don't know what to think about all that--except that she seems sincere in wanting to help these troubled young women. The fans over in the Tori forum are generally quite rabid and obsessed. I go there only for information and to chat occasionally in the other part of the forum about other issues, such as Free Your Mind here.

Me, I just love the music. And if some of the younger fans want to put on faery wings, then so be it as long as they don't block my view. I saw a few MacPhisto's at U2's shows, too.

As for faeries...I put them in the same category as angels. Haven't seen 'em, don't think about 'em much, but they could exist for all I know.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-30-2002).]

Old 01-31-2002, 10:36 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I agree on all points, joyfulgirl. I saw an interview where she talked about starting the RAINN network. A girl had come to her concert and refused to leave because when she did, her father would beat her and molest her when she got home. That's when Tori says she decided she had to do something, since she personally could not help every fan who needed it.

And yeah, I'm into her for the music. Like you said, if people want to worship her or believe in faeries, no big deal. I don't deal with many Tori fanatics on a daily basis anyway. I don't so much have a problem with it, but other people often do, and they stereotype less fanatical fans like me. It's kind of a bummer, but not a good enough reason not to listen to Tori's beautiful music.

And I just love that green smilie...

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Old 01-31-2002, 11:18 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Reading what I wrote above with this morning's eyes, it sounds like I've assumed that everyone here is older than the fans I mention. Foot in mouth. I enjoy many of the younger fans I've met, some of them wise beyond their years--it's just that initially I expected them to be a bit older--and certainly not all the younger fans are fanatical by any means, and some of the older ones are even more so. So hope I didn't hurt any feelings there.

Anyway, I love talking about Tori. A strange and complex woman, who really put me off at first but then I just fell in love with the music, her voice and the piano. Always look forward to what she will be up to next.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:27 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Yay, LMPopAngel! Hope you enjoy "Little Earthquakes." "Silent All These Years," "Winter," and "Precious Things" are classics. Actually, the whole record is a classic. The only thing I can't listen to is "Me and a Gun" but that's just me.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:54 AM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:01 PM
I bought Little Earthquakes yesterday and am in love with it. I ordered Boys For Pele and Under the Pink last night.

I think I've always really liked her stuff, it was just not a priority to buy any of it. I'm glad I've finally decided to.