Top Ten Reasons NHL Playoffs are better than NBA Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good list... I think a similar case was presented in the thread about the purest of team sports.

Now, I'd probably be the last to say that the NBA playoffs exceed the level of commitment and hardship of the NHL postseason... but there are some things that basketball players sacrifice a lot more than hockey players. Most elite NBA players play the whole 48 minutes in their games, most of which are in a condensed schedule. That takes a lot of endurance, commitment, and athletic ability... qualities that you can see in just about any NHL team. So, in terms of playoff format, each league has something to offer.

I will agree with what the writer said about long OT games... there's nothing more exciting than that... case in point the 5-OT marathon between Dallas and Anaheim (who would have thought)?

Wow, I have been proved wrong. Jim Armstrong does know about hockey. You wouldn't think so from his "potshots" column in the Denver Post

I once e-mailed him asking if he could spell Greg deVries. :evil:

:tsk:

I love sports. I love to watch baseketball, baseball, and football and other not as pop sports. The only major sport that I totally hate and think its beyond boring and stupid, to me, is HOCKEY! :|

B-ball is my fav though and to me is far more exciting than anything in Hockey!

:eyebrow: :| :wave:

Now I'm off to watch some NBA playoffs! ;)

Well Mrs. Vedder, those are some strong words about hockey, I hope you haven't dismissed the game by listening to the superficial comments delivered by media outlets like ESPN. If you find baseball more exciting than hockey, than I suggest that you invest time in watching a playoff game... a game where a seventh inning stretch isn't required, seeing as you're on the edge of your seat for most of the game :wink:...

Although I do tend to agree that basketball is entertaining, the stakes don't seem to be as high each game, as compared to hockey. The opening round of the NHL playoffs obviously stirs some excitement... just take a look at this forum, and the disparity between basketball threads and hockey threads.

PS- Since you enjoy baseball so much, I think that you would hold curling in the same esteem. I know I do... each time I watch either of the two "sports" it feels like I'm doing community service.:wink:

Last edited:
No thanks Cujo!

They may be strong words, but that's how I Feel about it! I'm sure there's people who hate basketball and baseball and the like.

I have tried watching Hockey on TV.. yes playoffs too. I'm sorry I find it dull and un-interresting. I even went to a Hockey game with a friend who loves it.. I nearly fell asleep! I hate the sport. I can't get into it.

When I think of sports on ice... I think of figure skating! :| :huh:

Baseball is awesome to ME. I love to go to baseball games... night games especially. Its a game of skill mentally and physically.

Basketball is entertaining, it's my fav sport to watch. And to watch the games live is really awersome! About the stakes not being high in each game... in the play offs each game is high. As it is with any playoff game in any other sport. I'm not saying Hockey doesn't require skill... I'm sure does... I just don't care for it. Again, to me is dull, boring, and stupid! :huh: Again it's just my opinion. :wave:

I was just replying because that list... even thought it's more of a joke... is stupid to me! So :p

Now excuse me while I go and watch Minn take on the Lakers! :p ;)

Last edited:
Mrs. Vedder said:
Now excuse me while I go and watch Minn tank against the Lakers!

Sounds like fun... must be nice to watch a sport where the same team wins every year :wink:

I'm just kidding Mrs. Vedder, I have no problems with any sport, and would never belittle one by calling it dull or boring... each has their own qualities that appeal to each individual spectator. Also, I do admit that hockey can be incredibly boring... if you're watching basement teams battle for worst place in the league (which I'm assuming is the types of games you're referring), it's probably going to be a snore. But this is true of any sport... in order to appreciate any game you need to look at it in it's most elite form with the best players playing for the highest prize. In this manner, you must concede the fact that watching a Denver Nuggets vs. New Orlean's Hornets game probably wouldn't be the most exciting moment of your life. I'm not trying to convert anyone to hockey, all I'm asking is that those who believe that it is dull and boring give it a proper chance... it sounds like you've done that already, and any opinions you get out of that is fine.

One thing I will say... basketball movies are better than hockey movies...

Cujo-

That's fine. I have watched games that are supposed to be "exciting or one of those game that the stakes are supposed to be high" and Istill find it boring.

So you wouldn't belittle any sport.. well, maybe its because you seem to like both sports.. I don't. I just state my feelings and reactions.

The ony reasong why I even bother replying to this thread is because of the "NHL playoffs are better than NBA playoffs?" like you said (sor of) it depends on the person. Who's to say that is true? Every person takes something different from a sport.

Now, I'd probably be the last to say that the NBA playoffs exceed the level of commitment and hardship of the NHL postseason.

According to who? And how do you measure that?

As far as
The opening round of the NHL playoffs obviously stirs some excitement... just take a look at this forum, and the disparity between basketball threads and hockey threads.

Well, this is just a board... I mean if you were take a nation wide survey ... I'm sure people would disagree! :p Basekball is more popular and obviously people find it entertainment or they wouldn't watch! :p

My intentions here were not to bring the sport of Hockey down.. because I don't go into Hockey threads and say "Hockey sucks" but this thread was different... and since I'm a huge a basketball fan I had a problem with it! That's all!

:wave: But I get what you are saying Cujo!!

Mrs. Vedder said:
Well, this is just a board... I mean if you were take a nation wide survey ... I'm sure people would disagree! :p Basekball is more popular and obviously people find it entertainment or they wouldn't watch! :p

Agreed... but I think that it's popularity is related to accessibility... wherein not every American city has the facilities to encourage the growth of hockey, or any ice sport for that matter (case in point... everywhere I lived in Texas)...

I do see where you're coming from... I think the reaction would be similar if someone said " why [insert band name] is better than U2"...

PS- in regards to who would say that hardship/commitment is better exemplified in hockey... take a look at the article posted here. I think to SOME (not all) extents is this true.

PSS- does anyone notice it's hard to qualify answers on this board... (the ticker is still counting my explanation replies... I think I'm at 3).

cujo said:

PS- in regards to who would say that hardship/commitment is better exemplified in hockey... take a look at the article posted here. I think to SOME (not all) extents is this true.

Um no. I'm sorry, but how can you measure the level of hardship and commitment of a sport or athlete? Seriously how? You can't. To say that Hockey and hockey athletes commitment and hardship is higher or more or whatever than NBA or NBA athletes is bs to me. Because you can't measure things like that. Especially to the commitment of any athlete.

The article posted here.. just says NHL players work harder than NBA players! Uh yeah how? I mean you can't measure the level of hard work!

I know this article is a joke or meant to be a joke but its dumb. Especially the "Diversity" factor! That made me laugh! I mean Hockey has diversity? Okay! The only major sport here that has true diversity is baseball!

Ok, I don't want this to turn into a Hockey VS basketball thread which is turning in to! So I will just agree to disagree! :p

Last edited:
Mrs. Vedder said:

Um no. I'm sorry, but how can you measure the level of hardship and commitment of a sport or athlete? Seriously how? You can't. To say that Hockey and hockey athletes commitment and hardship is higher or more or whatever than NBA or NBA athletes is bs to me. Because you can't measure things like that. Especially to the commitment of any athlete.

The article posted here.. just says NHL players work harder than NBA players! Uh yeah how? I mean you can't measure the level of hard work!

While I'm not sure you can measure the level of *commitment* athletes have, I think you can measure hard work. And while I am admittedly biased in favor hockey, I will argue forever that it is ten times harder to play than basketball or baseball.

I mean, almost anyone can go to the court and play basketball and hold their own. Obviously, they aren't in the top physical condition and lack the skill of someone in the NBA...but it's a sport just about anyone can play. So is baseball. I'm not arguing that these sports take no talent or physical effort--they do--it's just not at the level that hockey requires.

The skating skills neccessary makes it far harder than any sport played on wood or grass. Anyone who thinks it's easy to skate (and I used to be in this catagory) just needs to lace up a pair of skates and attend one hockey clinic. You'll learn just how much hard work it is to hockey skate. You have to constantly fight the impulse to stand upright and just glide like you do on rollerblades.
Just learning to do a hockey stop takes hours of work and alot of bruises. And what about skating backwards? As fast as you can go forwards? Being able to switch from one to the other in a second? These are skills you can do in your shoes without thinking about them, but try on skate blades...

And that's without adding the stick and puck, or the hard hitting. It is hard work, mentally and physically. And to keep it up for 82 games a season, plus play-offs...

That's why hockey is unpopular--no one can play it on a summer afternoon. It's too much work and it's too difficult. Believe me, I used to watch and think I could do just what the NHL'ers were doing. And it's amazingly humbling when you try. :| The first time on the ice is so discouraging, it's amazing anyone keeps going. I lost three pounds during Wednesday night's practice...

Again, I'm not trying to diminish the hard work and skill of a basketball or baseball player. But a hockey player works far harder than either of them. Just about any sports analyst who knows his stuff will admit it.

I'm sorry but this is just full of biased. Hockey more difficult to play than any other sport on wood or grass? Are you kidding me??

First of all, the same thing can be said to you....have you ever tried to play baseball? basketball? Soccer? If I was being honest soccer it self is beyond difficult!

So Hockey is hard because of the skating? What about Figure skating?? Figure skating is a sport.

Seriously, how could you say that? Because a certain sport looks easier? Professionals make it look easy but you try and playing it.

Just as you pointed out the difficulties in Hockey you can do the same thing for any other sport!!

Do you know how hard it is for example to play Soccer? to control the ball with only your legs? To be able to dribble... pass defenders only with your legs? To pass with both right and left legs? To stop the ball with your legs or upper body..... To make passes even with your forhead? Do you know how much endurance a soccer athlete endures running up and down the field? RUNNING... not ice skating.

Like you said about Hockey.. it takes a long time just to learn to dribble in soccer.. Just to dribble... and yes it is a humbling experience when you go through a soccer clinic as well.

I used to play soccer believe me it's hard. You look at it on TV and say "OH THAT IS EASY!" But it's Very hard. Basketball is hard too. You need to have skills to dribble.. to pass to shoot.. its not easy. The same thing with baseball. Baseball is a mental and well as physical sport.

Do you think its easy to play any position in baseball? To pitch a 85mph ball? To HIT an 85mph ball? The endurance to be able to catch and throw while running in many cases? To stop balls? The mental side to decide what pitch to throw.... what pitch will come at you... when to hit the ball... predict where the ball will go through?

And I say the same thing for Hockey.. I'm sure its not easy to skate at fast levels.... or to be able to make a pass... and other stuff it's hard. I know its hard.

Anyone like you said can gear up and play Hockey! I know a girl who plays hockey! So what? What was your point there?

All, I'm saying is how can you possibly diminish the the difficult of any sport? Ans say that HOCKEY is more difficult than any othe sport on wood or grass?

I mean I used to think Golf was easy.. then I tried it... Damn is that hard! I have been playing golf for about 5 years now and damn... it's still like freakin' hard to me!

I know that this board is so biased when it comes to Hockey but sometimes the things said are just crazy!

Last edited:
hmm. I agree with Mrs Vedder that all sports have something difficult about them--that's what makes them competitive and interesting.

As far as basketball vs hockey: I played basketball for years and I love it, but I can't bring myself to watch the NBA anymore; last time I did it was some team that was losing a playoff game, and they were WALKING down the court, looking defeated already, which left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Hockey--well, I'm in Montreal right now, and hockey is a big deal here. People are enthusiastic about it, it really is a religious type fervour, which is a double-edged thing-- I can't imagine the criticism that some kids have to endure. I don't know as much about hockey as I do about basketball, which is probably one reason I like watching it better than I do basketball-- I don't pick up on all the mistakes.

I love both sports. Basketball is so accessible-- you need only a ball and a hoop to play it. It's probably second only to soccer and I guess distance running in that respect. Also, there aren't really any "specialty" players...no pitcher, catcher, kicker, or goalie doing a job that's different from everyone else's. I think of it as a really democratic, artful, fun sport, with lots of room for movement and improvisation while you're playing. It's simple, but that's not the same thing as easy.

Hockey is so fast, tough and...I dunno, just cool in my opinion. Like I said, I don't really get it, but there's just something about it...these big guys chasing this little rubber puck, wearing those funky uniforms and hitting each other/fighting etc. And then you've got the excitement of a breakaway with two players, the shooter and goalie, just facing each other, and it's not about overcoming a physical hardship, with this basket that's 10 feet tall, just these two people and their skills...

I dunno-- I think there are great things about both sports, and I think the ESPN pieces were meant in jest, and that this discussion is getting awfully heated...can't we all just get along??

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
BBug, good post. All I'm trying to get accross is what you said.
all sports have something difficult about them--that's what makes them competitive and interesting.

I never said Basketball was harder than Hockey. Each sport has it's difficulties. That's why I don't see how you can say that this sport is much more harder than any other sport.

I really don't care if you hate basketball or can't watch it anymore or whatever... its just the fact that each sport requires skill, difficulty, hardwork and commitment. And you just can't measure that or justify that.

That's all! :p Sorry if I sounded a bit "agressive" I just think that other sports that are not "hockey" get a bad rap here!

:) peace out.

Last edited:
Well, this is just a board... I mean if you were take a nation wide survey ... I'm sure people would disagree! Basekball is more popular and obviously people find it entertainment or they wouldn't watch!

well there was a nation wide survey on espn.com, well i guess more like world wide survey, but im sure the majority of people that go there are from the united states. here are the results, i have to say it surprised me since hockey is the least popular sport in the us;

Vote: NBA playoffs vs. NHL playoffs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsNation

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

(Your responses in bold text.)

1) Which sport's playoffs has more 'star power'?

66.8% NBA

33.2% NHL

2) Which is better?

81.5% The NHL's sudden death

18.5% A couple of NBA overtime periods

3) Which sport's playoffs has more suspense this season in terms of who will win it all?

75.2% NHL

24.8% NBA

4) What gets you more excited?

58.7% A 25-foot slap shot past the goalie

41.3% A dunk over a big man

5) Which would you rather watch in person?

68.7% NHL Finals Game 7

31.3% NBA Finals Game 7

6) Which is better?

70.8% NHL playoffs

29.2% NBA playoffs

Total Votes: 53,544

First off....geez! Chill out! I only stated my argument. You're getting downright crazy.

and you completely took what I said and twisted it...not a surprise...read it again. I wasn't saying that those sports didn't take talent, or weren't difficult. In my *opinion*, hockey is much more difficult. :shrug:

We were talking about basketball and baseball. So I confined it to basketball and baseball--I didn't drag every single sport under the sun in. I never even said anything about figure skating!! Eesh! :huh: They all take talent and they all take skill. I *didn't* diminish the difficulty of *any* sport. And no, I haven't played soccer--but you haven't played hockey and I have, so we shouldn't even go there, should we? It's pointless.

I still stand by what I said. Just about anyone can go out and casually join a baseball or a basketball game and hold their own, if they know the rules. Not just anyone can gear up and go out and play hockey. They'll injure themselves and others.
And anyone who thinks that they can just go out there and play, will hopefully stay off skates.

I won't even bother arguing further because it's not even worth it even though I could and very much want to. :huh: I agree with Bbug--a fun debate shouldn't have turned this serious. Apparently, I needed more smileys in my initial post because I didn't mean it *that* seriously, certainly not seriously enough to warrant that kind of response. :huh: It's my opinion, one I still stand by, and is certainly shouldn't just be dismissed as crazy.

Like I said, I'm done.

Elisabeth

Last edited:
I already apoligized if I sounded "agressive" and when you said that Hockey is harder than any other sport on wood or grass... then you are talking about all other sports not just basketball and baseball! And yes I haven't played Hockey... so won't even say .. that the sports I play are harder than Hockey! :rolleyes:

My point about that girl who played who played hockey is that anyone who wants to play it can. :rolleyes:

When you post something like this you are bound to get reactions. That's all. :blahblah:

I'm through with this thread too. It is pointless. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:

I mean, almost anyone can go to the court and play basketball and hold their own. Obviously, they aren't in the top physical condition and lack the skill of someone in the NBA...but it's a sport just about anyone can play. So is baseball. I'm not arguing that these sports take no talent or physical effort--they do--it's just not at the level that hockey requires.
Again, I'm not trying to diminish the hard work and skill of a basketball or baseball player. But a hockey player works far harder than either of them.

Yes, anyone who can stand on two feet can go out to a court, pick up a basketball, and shoot around. This is true. I wouldn't call it basketball though... I'd call it a couple of schmo's running up and down with an orange sphere. Anyone who can skate can go out on the ice and slap a puck around, but would you call that hockey?

As for baseball... you're not eve close. Yes, anyone could go and play slow pitch softball in the local beer league. Baseball is another story. If a major league baseball player fails to get a hit 70% of the time over the course of his career... he's a hall of famer. If he fails only 65% of the time, he's a legend.

To say a hockey players work harder than basketball players and baseball players is just silly. Players in all of those sports work just as hard as the others. I played college basketball at a school that was more a hockey school than a hoops school. When the hockey guys were up doing their dry-lands, we were up doing sprints. When they were in the weight room, we were in the weight room. An athlete is an athlete. Wayne Gretzky worked just as hard as Michael Jordan who worked just as hard as Barry Bonds who worked just as hard as Joe Montana who worked just as hard as Mia Hamm who worked just as hard as Martina Navratilova who worked just as hard as Lance Armstrong. They all just worked hard at different things.

Not to be an ass or start an argument but if there is one thing i cannot stand are generalizations that people make about sports. Professional and most college athletes are in 110% better shape than anyone on this site. It irks me to no end when people make general and ignorant statements regarding athlete?s talent and their physical condition. It doesn?t matter what sport it is those athletes are condition to play at 110% be it hockey, soccer, basketball, tennis, baseball, football, track and field, swimming, cycling, etc. the physical regime they go through to make sure their shape is in top condition would put most of the people on this site to shame. If it wasn?t for the extensive workouts that any of these athlete?s go through injuries would be plentiful and competition would be boring.

You know, why don't some of you bottle this up and send it in e-mail to Jim Armstrong, since he's the one that made the original comment "Hockey players work harder"? Which I simply agreed with? :mad:

And I just love it when people constantly put words in my mouth. Honestly. Go back and read my post. I NEVER said other athletes do not work hard. I never said they were out of shape. I simply said hockey players work harder--just like Mr. Armstrong did. I don't care if people disagree with me, but this is just ridiculous. Like I said, if you care so much, send it to the guy who gets *paid* to churn it out.

Now I really am done.

Last edited:
this debate is ridic

i think we all know the athletes who work the hardest are rock paper scissorers

i suggest you check out this website, especially check out the message board, its funny funny stuff:

http://www.worldrps.com/

some people take some things a liiiitttle too seriously.

I'm sorry to get upset. But I am tired of feeling attacked in what should have been a casual debate.

I come off looking like the psycho. I think I'll stay out of this board until next hockey season, at any rate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom