Top Films of the Decade - The 1990s - Voting Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Lazarus - I was posting this yesterday while we were discussing but was pulled from the computer for family affairs and didn't get back for a few hours. Anyways, I hope there's no hard feelings because I enjoy your posts too much. And I'd hate to think everytime you see my name you'll be saying to yourself "what an a-hole".

Unlike some reviewers who you mentioned may have had an agenda before the fact, I was excited about seeing this film because like I said, I was a huge Kubrick fan (certainly not a film major or anything like that), just a movie fan, and it had been a long time since his last film. Full Metal Jacket I believe, and that was still in the 80's ( could be wrong on that). But still, almost 10 years between films. And from what I had read before release, sounded very promising. So the letdown for me was pretty big.

I know my points are general, but like I said, I'm just a fan. And I will concede you this point because you wondered how I had the patience for Barry Lyndon but not EWS. When BL came out, I did sorta cast it aside like many others because it was such a departure from Clockwork, Strangelove. Films we were still digesting, along with 2001. But my favorite Kubrick film to watch now is Barry Lyndon, because I never gave it the attention it deserved when released. 30 years later, here I am, enjoying a film that I sorta ignored decades ago So my hope is that the same thing will happen eventually with EWS, and if it does I'll be sure to let you know so you can say "I told you so", though I won't be able to wait 30 years again cuz I'll probably be dead Yeah, I'm old

But until that happens, when I need a Kubrick fix of jealousy, obsession and perverted sexual undertones, I'm sticking with Lolita

Now make us Americans proud with your 60's list

Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Thank you for the additional words, and of course no hard feelings. It's good to have an intelligent discussion about film, because they're hard to find.

I do have to add though, I'm a HUGE fan of Nabokov's novel Lolita, and I think Kubrick's adaptation may be his worst film. And I know that Nabokov wrote the screenplay himself, though it's difficult to say what contributions Stanley made. I think Peter Sellers, while entertaining as usual, is a little too OTT, and shouldn't have been such a huge part of the film. I think the whole thing is played a bit too much for laughs--even though Humbert is an often witty narrator in the book, the story is still a tragedy (for both of its main characters), and should have been treated a bit less flippantly.

The '98 Adrian Lyne version, while perhaps a bit too downbeat, was tonally closer to what I loved about the novel. Irons was about as perfect a Humbert as one could imagine, and while Frank Langella didn't fill Sellers' shoes, he didn't really try to, keeping the character in the background until the end. The later version had the benefit of being made when the subject was easier to treat in a more serious fashion, thought it still failed to find a U.S. theatrical release, which is a shame. Morricone contributed a beautiful score and I think it's a very underrated film.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, my Kubrick rankings (I encourage all to share):

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. The Killing
8. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita

Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Like the list Laz. I would change very little

And I agree wholeheartedly with the reviews. I liked the Lyne version more than Kubrick's and their was little hint from Sellars of what was soon to come.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Thank you for the additional words, and of course no hard feelings. It's good to have an intelligent discussion about film, because they're hard to find.

I do have to add though, I'm a HUGE fan of Nabokov's novel Lolita, and I think Kubrick's adaptation may be his worst film. And I know that Nabokov wrote the screenplay himself, though it's difficult to say what contributions Stanley made. I think Peter Sellers, while entertaining as usual, is a little too OTT, and shouldn't have been such a huge part of the film. I think the whole thing is played a bit too much for laughs--even though Humbert is an often witty narrator in the book, the story is still a tragedy (for both of its main characters), and should have been treated a bit less flippantly.

The '98 Adrian Lyne version, while perhaps a bit too downbeat, was tonally closer to what I loved about the novel. Irons was about as perfect a Humbert as one could imagine, and while Frank Langella didn't fill Sellers' shoes, he didn't really try to, keeping the character in the background until the end. The later version had the benefit of being made when the subject was easier to treat in a more serious fashion, thought it still failed to find a U.S. theatrical release, which is a shame. Morricone contributed a beautiful score and I think it's a very underrated film.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, my Kubrick rankings (I encourage all to share):

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. The Killing
8. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Lolita
Nice list. I'd have Clockwork higher, I just love that film lots. Strangelove is my #1 as well. I've yet to see The Killing, however.

I wish I could have a more intelligent discourse on film, but I just lack the proper.....lexicon, maybe, the proper words to convey my thoughts into proper terms. I know what I like and dislike, and why, but cannot really give a long and meaningful review like I could for a book or a sporting event or even a trip.

Fire bad!

See?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #95
Refugee

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Personal taste, blah blah, yeah I know. But this is a list of the greatest films of the decade. And a lot of this stuff is just too damn funny not to mention.
At least mine's honest rather than a list that just makes you feel important; read off some list some geek on the Sundance Channel came up with.

Princess Mononoke. Da----ork.

Oh and T2? Please, yes, you are definately a effete movie goer. Oooh, or should I have said "film" instead, fat man in a little coat.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 AM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Kinda pwned there, Lance.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 AM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

Nice list. I'd have Clockwork higher, I just love that film lots. Strangelove is my #1 as well. I've yet to see The Killing, however.

I wish I could have a more intelligent discourse on film, but I just lack the proper.....lexicon, maybe, the proper words to convey my thoughts into proper terms. I know what I like and dislike, and why, but cannot really give a long and meaningful review like I could for a book or a sporting event or even a trip.

Fire bad!

See?
Hey, that was a great review of Frankenstein you just gave!

It's easy.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

At least mine's honest rather than a list that just makes you feel important; read off some list some geek on the Sundance Channel came up with.

Princess Mononoke. Da----ork.

Oh and T2? Please, yes, you are definately a effete movie goer. Oooh, or should I have said "film" instead, fat man in a little coat.
Mine's an honest list too champ. I just happen to honestly not like complete shit.

And that's fine if liking Princess Mononoke makes me a dork. Because if so, liking half the stuff you do so much makes you a well... well I guess that just means you have bad taste.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Snowlock: pwned by a dork.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #100
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
1. Braveheart
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula
4. Air Force One
5. Tombstone
6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. The Rock
8. The Matrix
9. Under Seige
10. The Patriot
11. Independence Day
12. Die Hard II
13. Tommy Boy
14. Resevoir Dogs
15. The Fugitive

Still sick to this day TPM wasn't good enough to crack the top 5.
The Patriot came out in '00, btw.

Die Hard II over With a Vengeance? Elaborate please.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Die Hard II over With a Vengeance? Elaborate please.
seriously, you chose Die Hard II over the original? WTF? The only list DH2 belongs on is a worst films list imo
Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

It's easy.
Nice Lazarus

I've got the same problem, NSW. Except I'm a long winded bag of hot air

How 'bout this for a 2001 review:

Sticks good !
Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

It's easy.
That was the idea.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #104
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

seriously, you chose Die Hard II over the original? WTF? The only list DH2 belongs on is a worst films list imo
The original is from the '80s though, so that's fair.

But the shitty 2nd one over the 3rd one? Come on.

Maybe it's because I love the dynamic between Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis (one reason I absolutely love Unbreakable.), but it's a sequel done right (original director, fresh setting/situation, references the original but doesn't rip off.)

And Jeremy Irons' terrible German accent is too funny to not be noted.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Got it. I think we're ready for the big show.

Boy NSW, I give 2001 Sticks good!

Fully agree Hardy, Fire bad!

Now our next film is....................