Top Films of the Decade - The 1990s - Voting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:

And you said NOTHING about Tommy Boy?!?!

Double FTWTF!

I hate Tommy Boy as much as the next person, but my best friend (and generally respectable film watcher) swears by it, so I've trained myself not to get too perplexed when people swear by it.

hardyharhar said:
Well, that's a lot of words you put in my mouth.

I watched it many times because I am a Kubrick fan, and because it was on HBO (or whichever movie channel) a lot for months, so I kept checking it out. See if I was missing something. I wasn't.

I expected to enjoy the film because there isn't any Kubrick I don't like. Working with "Mr & Mrs. Hollywood" never even entered the equation. And I didn't know it broke Tom & Nicole up, what did I say to make you think I would be glad?

The film is about problems couples face, now that's a novel idea. Very pedestrian. And that is something I can say.

Come on, you know very well any film's storyline can be reduced to something simplistic. The approach certainly wasn't pedestrian.

Also, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was creating your arguments for me to strike down. Your criticisms were rather general, and I was trying to blend your points with other common criticisms of the film.

lazarus said:

I like your list, NSW, but Minority Report and Crouching Tiger are both from the 00's. So you get two more picks!

Oh, for fuck's sake, sorry...the Yankee loss has sent me into a mental tailspin...revised list coming post-haste.....

No spoken words said:
My disclaimer is that I don't know a fucking thing about film, but here is my list:

REVISED -

1) Unforgiven
2) Fargo
3) The Insider
4) Fight Club
5) Boogie Nights
6) Goodfellas
7) Eyes Wide Shut
8) Magnolia
9) Silence of the Lambs
10) The Fugitive
11) LA Confidential
12) 12 Monkeys
13) Shawshank Redemption
14) Usual Suspects
15) Groundhog Day

Lancemc said:
I'm pissed I forgot to include Battlefield Earth in my 2000's list. :sad:

I never made a 2000's list, so, there's time for me to add it.

I'd have it between 10-15. I actually did watch that film, but, I lost a bet and so I HAD to watch it.

No way.

I know the consequences.

0605_cruise_oprah_355x253.jpg

I think Snowlock posted it a short while ago.

j/k....sorta

Edit: Hmmm, I wonder if I should do something special for my 7000th post. :hmm:

No spoken words said:
Should LemonMacPhisto the little bastard make an "Interference's Worst Movies" thread? Does that already exist?

That sounds like a great idea. There was a "worst movies you've seen" thread, but that can be a great companion to a revised "Best Movies" list.

God Part III said:
Totally off-topic, but monkeyskin, I noticed your avatar, and I take it that monkeyskin is a Nintendo fan? Are you as hyped for Mario Galaxy as I am?

I would be if I had a Wii :p I plan on getting a DS at some stage and getting the Mario games for that, especially Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I LOVE Superstar Saga for the GBA.

LMP, worst films will be interesting just to see what some people here class as the worst they've ever seen. I've seen one list on another film forum and of the 100 there about half are really popular. Almost all of them are from the 80s onwards though.

I don't think a "worst" list would be a very good idea. A "Most hated" would be a lot more interesting I think, since most popular films would be expected to show up. I don't want to have to rack my mind to list a bunch of b-grade crappy, made-for-tv shitfests for such a thread. That's no fun. But if I could proclaim my hate for Fight Club, for example, that would be a lot more intesting, no?

I was thinking that would fall into the same category. Worst you've seen could mean "most hated."

Even though you gave Fight Club a 3 on Flixster... :pwned:

Umm no.

Most hated does not equal worst.

One's a meter of taste, the other's a meter of quality.

Lancemc said:
Umm no.

Most hated does not equal worst.

One's a meter of taste, the other's a meter of quality.

It can though.

Look at Laz's hatred of Spielberg's films. It's a mix of personal taste and general dislike in the quality of the films. I hate to speak for him, but that's the idea I got after the Spielberg thread, apart from a few films.

Overrated/Most-Hated would be better than Worst, methinks. That can be paired with an Underrated poll pretty well, too.

I understand that it can equate to that. But it's presumptuous to assume a most hated should parallel what one considers the worst films ever. Like, I'm sure Jaws The Revenge is one of the biggest pieces of crap ever concieved, but I can't say I hate it. It's just terrible. Fight Club is a competently made film though, to a certain extent, that I simply despise.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It can though.

Look at Laz's hatred of Spielberg's films. It's a mix of personal taste and general dislike in the quality of the films. I hate to speak for him, but that's the idea I got after the Spielberg thread, apart from a few films.

I won't disagree with that.

And I think the idea of most overrated/hated is better, because I try not to remember terrible films I've seen, and to be honest I don't watch "bad" films any more. I don't pay to see crap in the theatres, and I don't watch them on cable either. The closest I get to "bad" is something like War of the Worlds, which is a technically well-made film that has terrible decisions in the screenwriting department.

I choose my films based mainly on who directed them, and even if I take issue with Spielberg's artistic choices in nearly every film he makes, I will still see most of what he puts out (I could not stomach the thought of enduring Spielberg AND Tom Hanks in The Terminal) because there is usually something worthy in there to sit through.

Lancemc said:
I understand that it can equate to that. But it's presumptuous to assume a most hated should parallel what one considers the worst films ever. Like, I'm sure Jaws The Revenge is one of the biggest pieces of crap ever concieved, but I can't say I hate it. It's just terrible. Fight Club is a competently made film though, to a certain extent, that I simply despise.

It's impossible to hate Jaws: The Revenge because of this man:

1983378_10.jpg

Then Overrated and Underrated Lists?

namkcuR said:
Shit, I forgot to put Good Will Hunting on my list.

*ponders whether or not it's worth modifying the list*

Wow, I completely forgot that one, too.

monkeyskin said:

I would be if I had a Wii :p I plan on getting a DS at some stage and getting the Mario games for that, especially Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I LOVE Superstar Saga for the GBA.
Go get a Wii then! Awesome console. I know it's hard to find in the US though.
Oh, you are going to love it. Never played Superstar Saga, but oh my. New Super Mario Bros. is the most addictive thing, it's annoying that's it portable because it gets you all the more sucked in.

:bow: @ lazarus' comment on Eyes Wide Shut. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Top 10 most overrated movies of all time:

1. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
We've talked about this. 4/10
2. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
Just not that amazing. 7/10
3. L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)
Meh. 5/10.
4. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman, 1975)
Apart from Jack Nicholson, the film is pretty mediocre to me. 7/10
5. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, 2002)
Goodfellas 2, you mean? 7/10
6. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
French cinema for beginners. Decent, but that's it. Watch Godard instead. 7/10
7. The Pianist (Roman Polanski, 2002)
Predictable, standard-fare filmmaking, with an actor that basically has the same expression in every single shot. That's not acting to me. 5/10
8. Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, 2005)
Style over substance is fine by me, but this was the biggest letdown ever. No originality whatsoever. 5/10
9. La vita è bella (Roberto Benigni, 1997)
I hated this film. I am tempted to call it abysmal. Cliched, banal, platitudinous. 3/10.
10. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Peter Jackson, 2003)
What a mess of a film. Nothing works the way it should, the editing is horrible, the script is even worse, and it may be the biggest anticlimax in cinema history. It won 11 Oscars. 2/10

Keep in mind that I really liked The Fellowship of the Ring.

God Part III, I just made my 60's list last night, and I can't wait to disprove your suggestion of a drought of good American films in that decade.

Though I will admit, the French certainly have a leg up on that time period. Godard, Truffaut, Melville, Resnais, Demy, etc. Some damn fine shit going on over there.

lazarus said:
God Part III, I just made my 60's list last night, and I can't wait to disprove your suggestion of a drought of good American films in that decade.

Though I will admit, the French certainly have a leg up on that time period. Godard, Truffaut, Melville, Resnais, Demy, etc. Some damn fine shit going on over there.

Not so much that you didn't make good films, more like the fact that modern cinema was about to be born on the other side of the atlantic...

But I'm looking forward to it :D

Back
Top Bottom