Top 7 Albums of 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
2. Sigur Ros - ()
3. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4. Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted Luxe & Reduxe
5. Doves - The Last Broadcast
6. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
7. Dredg - Leitmotif

qball7200 said:
1. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
2. Sigur Ros - ()
3. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4. Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted Luxe & Reduxe
5. Doves - The Last Broadcast
6. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
7. Dredg - Leitmotif

haha, thats a great list, though i have not heard of dredg. so nice to see someone not mention a best of or matchbox twenty.

*slaps forehead

how, how, how could a u2 fan appreciate matchbox twenty?

i will never know.

rjd2 - dead ringer
out hud - s.t.r.e.e.t. d.a.d
interpol - turn on the bright lights
the streets - original pirate material
royksopp - melody a.m.
notwist - neon golden
spoon - kill the moonlight

these artsists also released strong material:
the walkmen
hot hot heat
yeah yeah yeahs
flaming lips
coldplay
doves

a fairly strong year, imo.

Hello,

Although I'm addicted to buying CD's, I only bought 3 records this year that were also first released this year (excluding any Best Of's). So I have a short list:

1. Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me
The King Of Rock'n'Soul returns! After years of living in oblivion one of soul's greatest voices returned with a stellar album. Great songwriters such as Bob Dylan, Van Morrison and Elvis Costello wrote songs especially for him and the album was recorded in a few days, almost live. Just like the great soul albums of the past and that's exactly how it sounds like, a great, classic, soul album.

2. Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Much has already been said about this album, so I can't add very much without using clich?s. It's just a really good rock album by Bruce Springsteen, who can communicate a message without it being too obvious. World's Apart is a highlight, but I have to agree with some others that Paradise falls a bit short. Nevertheless, this album deserves all the praise it gets (even though I'd like to see the Grammy of Record Of The Year going to Solomon Burke).

3. Tr?ckener Kecks - Meer Niet!
My only other non-compilation purchase of 2002. A double live album of the farewell tour of a great Dutch rock band. I didn't see them live before this farewell tour and this is a great souvenir (snif).

There are also some albums released this year I definately want to check out because I think/have heard they are very good:
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way
Pearl Jam - Riot Act

Finally, I bought 2 compilations from 2002 this year
U2 - The Best Of 1990-2000 & B-Sides
There's been a lot of talk about this album. Maybe, maybe too much talk. This album is not a stinker, this album is a very good compilation.

Rolling Stones - Forty Licks
If someone asks why he should buy this Rolling Stones compilation instead of another one I can explain it in 3 words: Losing My Touch. This song has very much against it; it's a new song, it's a ballad, it's the last track on the second CD and it's sung by Keith Richards. But it sounds excellent. He certainly hasn't lost it. For the rest? Street Fighting Man, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Love Is Strong, Miss You and this isn't even 1/5th of the record...

C ya!

Marty

1. Coldplay - A Rush...

2. Bowie - Heathen

3. RHCP - By the Way

4. U2 - Best Of

5. The Two Towers Soundtrack (lord of the rings) (out next week!)

I can't put things in order.
  • The Delgados -- Hate
  • The Streets -- Original Pirate Material
  • Gemma Hayes -- Night On My Side
  • Idlewild -- The Remote Part
  • Doves -- The Last Broadcast
  • Electric Soft Parade -- Holes In the Wall
  • Jack Johnson -- Brushfire Fairytales

1. Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos
2. By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Sea Change - Beck
4. The Rising - Springsteen

That's all I can think of at the moment. That's pretty much all I listened to this year so I guess that's it. Nothing else I bought has been enduring.

Coldplay- A Rush of Blood to the Head
Red Hot Chili Peppers- By The Way
Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Doves- Last Broadcast
The Hives- Veni Vidi Vicious
Neil Finn - One All
Elbow- Asleep in the Back

bruce - the rising
coldplay - a rush of blood to the head
oasis - heathen chemistry
the streets - original pirate material
the hives - veni vidi vicious
tori amos - scarlet's walk

i'm hoping that after i buy david gray, it makes the list too.

Great thread, by the way:wave:
Ok...I'm not understanding this about Eddie Vedder as tired or old.
Dammit...I just got back from seeing PJ in Seattle to see back to back shows on Dec 8th and 9th...and well...Eddie sure ain't old OR tired.:drool: :drool: And what an ARSE that man has!LOL! He's only 37...and looks about 27 if you ask me and alot of people!!
I mean..cmon!
Ola.jpg

Eddie as Bono...LOL:drool:
4.jpg

That album needs a few more listens for everyone if you ask me.
I really do think Riot Act is their best yet....and the live presentation of their new songs just blow the studio versions out of the water.
With that said...here's my list...in no particular order...
1. Pearl Jam Riot Act...wow!
2. U2's Best of 1990-2000
3. Tori Amos...Scarlet's Walk
4. Beck....Sea Change....depressing but freakin beautiful
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers....By the way....great fookin album...prolly their best yet.
6. Bruuuuuuuuuce...The Rising.
7. Silverchair....Diorama....I've never liked their stuff until now....this album is nothing like their other stuff. Brilliant...

I have the Coldplay album. And all of their other albums. I'm just not seeing what is so great. No offense to Coldplay fans here. I do recognize that they are talented...very very talented. I do think that Parachutes was a better album, though. I have given Rush of Blood to the Head MANY listens....just the other day...3 listens in a row. And it doesn't grab me. I find it kinda bland. I also don't find them heavily original. Call me crazy...but I find Coldplay borrows(and indeed is indebted to) alot from U2 and Radiohead IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with that....everyone has idols, heros and influences. I just find that their stuff is good, not great or original by any stretch of the imagination. With that said, I still would jump up and down if someone handed me tickets to a Coldplay show. I've heard wonders about their live show, and if live is where they live, then I'm sure I'll appreciate this band a little more. Any one have any spare Coldplay tickets? LOL!
oxoxo
Autumn

Last edited:
Screaming Flower said:

i'm hoping that after i buy david gray, it makes the list too.

I think it will. I still feel kinda bad that he didn't quite crack my top 7. But I felt even worse after I took a hard listen to "Be Mine" and "Easy Way to Cry" from A New Day.... They are beautiful, wonderful, moving songs.

mmmBono said:
Great thread, by the way:wave:
Ok...I'm not understanding this about Eddie Vedder as tired or old.
Dammit...I just got back from seeing PJ in Seattle to see back to back shows on Dec 8th and 9th...and well...Eddie sure ain't old OR tired.:drool: :drool: And what an ARSE that man has!LOL! He's only 37...and looks about 27 if you ask me and alot of people!!
I mean..cmon!
Ola.jpg

Eddie as Bono...LOL:drool:
4.jpg

That album needs a few more listens for everyone if you ask me.
I really do think Riot Act is their best yet....and the live presentation of their new songs just blow the studio versions out of the water.
With that said...here's my list...in no particular order...
1. Pearl Jam Riot Act...wow!
2. U2's Best of 1990-2000
3. Tori Amos...Scarlet's Walk
4. Beck....Sea Change....depressing but freakin beautiful
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers....By the way....great fookin album...prolly their best yet.
6. Bruuuuuuuuuce...The Rising.
7. Silverchair....Diorama....I've never liked their stuff until now....this album is nothing like their other stuff. Brilliant...

I have the Coldplay album. And all of their other albums. I'm just not seeing what is so great. No offense to Coldplay fans here. I do recognize that they are talented...very very talented. I do think that Parachutes was a better album, though. I have given Rush of Blood to the Head MANY listens....just the other day...3 listens in a row. And it doesn't grab me. I find it kinda bland. I also don't find them heavily original. Call me crazy...but I find Coldplay borrows(and indeed is indebted to) alot from U2 and Radiohead IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with that....everyone has idols, heros and influences. I just find that their stuff is good, not great or original by any stretch of the imagination. With that said, I still would jump up and down if someone handed me tickets to a Coldplay show. I've heard wonders about their live show, and if live is where they live, then I'm sure I'll appreciate this band a little more. Any one have any spare Coldplay tickets? LOL!
oxoxo
Autumn

yeah, it's why I'm not so crazy about them. I mean, that riff on "In My Place" is soooo stolen from the edge it's not even funny. and the drum part on "clocks" is a total rip'off of "beutiful day".
and then there's chris martin: he's like the no-caffiene version of thom yorke; with that hair, the voice, the piano....and the chord change in "daylight" is a rip off of "pyramid song".
there's really nothing that you can identify as "coldplay".

still better than creed though.:up:

paxetaurora said:

I think it will. I still feel kinda bad that he didn't quite crack my top 7. But I felt even worse after I took a hard listen to "Be Mine" and "Easy Way to Cry" from A New Day.... They are beautiful, wonderful, moving songs.

i can hardly wait to get it. :drool:

by the way, if coldplay release a few more albums, I think they have potential to be a great band.

but then I said the same about the verve.:der:

Well, Coldplay at least seem to be a lot more stable than Verve... at the moment.

I haven't actually bought that many new releases this year, so here're what I've enjoyed in no particular order:

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head. Great, accomplished follow-up to the somewhat overpraised (IMO) debut.

Oasis - Heathen Chemistry. Nothing particularly new or spectacular here, but it's a solid rock album with catchy songs galore.

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way

Doves - The Last Broadcast. It took me some time to get into it, but now it's one of those rare albums that I enjoy from start to finish.

The Hives - Your New Favourite Band

Sigur Ros - ( ) Not as good as their last effort, but still an enchanting experience.

Kylie Minogue - Fever. Delicious fun pop.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

It was? Damn you. It was. Well, let me just climb into that reject box you've so nicely provided for me. :der:

well it was still good

I belong in the reject box for knowing that!!

It was released in the US (with the song "Asleep In the Back" that wasn't on the 2001 UK version) in 2002 and then the new version was released in the UK, so it might count. :)

I think the Verve were a great band. :)

meegannie said:

It was released in the US (with the song "Asleep In the Back" that wasn't on the 2001 UK version) in 2002 and then the new version was released in the UK, so it might count. :)

Wow. *is impressed with meggie's musical knowledge* :bow:

not in order, just my top 7 favourites:

pearl jam--riot act

george harrison--brainwashed

u2--best of 1990-2000 (i don't like including best ofs, but even as mostly old stuff, it beats a lot of stuff that came out this year)

dropkick murphys--live on st. patrick's day

of montreal--aldhils arboretum

red hot chili peppers--by the way

silverchair--diorama (totally underrated)

I would add:

Coldplay -- A Rush of Blood to the Head
Interpol -- Turn On the Bright Lights
Josh Rouse -- Under Cold Blue Stars
Ron Sexsmith -- Cobblestone Runway

as honourable mentions

Oh and I forgot to mention....
Hot Hot Heat....a band from Vancouver Canada....I forget the album title...but it's their debut anyway...
The Hives...Veni Vidi...
Foo Fighters...I just had to say it......I was REALLY surprised by it, actually....I didn't much like the foos before...but it's quite catchy.:)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club....awesome awesome....
Interpol's newest one is excellent...
LOL...I'll prolly show my ass back up here again to throw in a few more...what can I say....I freakin love music.:wave:
Oh and yeah...the Silverchair is shamefully underrated....an awesome album....dammit he can sing:drool:

mmmBono said:

Oh and yeah...the Silverchair is shamefully underrated....an awesome album....dammit he can sing:drool:

--warning--stupid rambling story--

i went to get the album, it was supposed to come out on july 9th, the same day as the chili peppers and counting crows cds...but it didn't. i don't know when the u.s. release date ended up being, but i think it was some time in august...right?? anyone know?? i assumed that it was the fault of the store i went to (large chain store cos it was the only thing open by the time i could get a ride) on the 9th, so on the 10th i went to check some local record shop. they had one copy, so i figured that it must have actualy been released. why would it take so long to be released in this country? it came out april 8th in australia...it was on display next to the "weird albums that the people who work here like" section...i didn't see it, so i asked about it...someone else in the store said something like "oh silverchair? they're still around? ddn't they sing that song 'tomorrow'? they were like 14 or something, right?"...and then someone else pointed to a cardboard cut out of hanson on the wall and said "isn't that a picture of them?" (me: :mad: )
...apparently i got an import, cos the radio mentioned that the release date kept being pushed back, and my computer loaded it saying "silverchair--diorama--2002 (import)"...:shrug:

Salome said:
1. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
2. Solomon Burke - Don't give up on me
3. Sonic Youth - Murray Street
4. DJ Shadow - The Private Press
5. Lambchop - Is a woman
6. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
7. Beck - Sea Change

I forgot Los Lobos' Good Morning Aztl?n
that one would be #4

Salome said:
I also forgot Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Plastic Fang as #5

ok,
1. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
2. Solomon Burke - Don't give up on me
3. Sonic Youth - Murray Street
4. Los Lobos - Good Morning Aztl?n
5. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Plastic Fang
6. DJ Shadow - The Private Press
7. Two many DJ's

Last edited:
cloudimani said:

Gemma Hayes - Night on my Side

interesting how critics believe she can be ireland's answer to kylie minogue

im not sure what those people are thinking

for one gemma's music sounds more like coldplay's

that and ive never seen kylie hold a guitar before

still gemma's got some stiff competition to rise to musical prominence in her own homeland

when youre from a country which have had acts like U2, Thin Lizzy, The Cranberries, Van Morrison and even the Corrs its a fair mountain to climb

Back
Top Bottom